Help with IBS friendly recipes

NontoePKNontoePK Posts: 25Registered Users
Hey everyone,

Four months ago I was hospitalized for intestinal infection. I spent a week in hospital, then was released. Unfortunately, I did not get better after being released from the hospital, I actually got worse and was hospitalized again. Turns out my colon had twisted on itself. They helped untwist it, however the whole trauma to my intestines left me with irritable bowel syndrome. I'm hyper sensitive to most foods. I can't have dairy, wheat, gluten, wholegrain, i cant have fried or fatty foods or spicy food, candy makes me sick as well. I get severe bloating, to the point that my tummy swells up, I constipate almost everyday, even with laxatives. I get terrible abdominal cramping and sharp stabbing pains. The doctors just tell me to stay away from foods made from dairy and gluten. I'm really struggling with the diet. It's a huge lifestyle change for me. Are there any wheat/gluten free vegans who can help with delicious recipes.

Comments

• PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Happyherbivore.com offers weekly meal plans and I believe includes gluten free options for each meal. Lots of her recipes are gluten free. Her recipes are super easy and all plant - based

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • NontoePKNontoePK Posts: 25Registered Users
    Thank you :). I'll check her out.
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    I am gluten free (and have some kind of intestinal issue) and my boyfriend has IBS. Between the two of us, there is always an issue of pain.

My suggestions are zucchini noodles with marinara, homemade veggie (vegetable/bean) burgers, sandwiches wrapped in lettuce/greens, corn tortilla tacos, stir fries with rice or rice sticks, stews, soups, salads, spinach balls (similar to meatballs), Indian curries (chana masala or chana saag), baked fries or potatoes.
    Thank you. Hopefully I'll be able to find most of these things. I've been struggling finding ingredients to some recipes I've found online.
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Boy I didn't believe it but I am sure impressed with how taking out starchy carbs and particularly wheat a sugars had helped me through a flare up. Good book is Fast Tract Digestion For IBS. He also has some good recipes.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    NontoePK wrote: »
    Thank you. Hopefully I'll be able to find most of these things. I've been struggling finding ingredients to some recipes I've found online.

What ingredients are you having trouble with?

Things like zucchini noodles are just zucchini cut with a mandolin or a peeler into "noodles."

I usually buy rice sticks from an Asian market, but you can find them in the Asian section of any grocery store.

The two Indian curries I mentioned have ingredients that are usually not too hard to find (masala).

Soups and stews are still my favorites. I always have soup, stew, and chili on hand in my freezer. If all else fails, all I need to do is microwave a single serving! :)
    Hi Munchy. I've been struggling finding gluten free products and ingredients such as zucchini, marinara. There aren't any vegan shops around my area so I find myself limited to a few small range of vegetables( I can't have green vegetables, they make me bloat up) and fruits. I have Rice cakes, but I just find them tasting like cardboard. As for soups, all the soups I've been able to find so far use wheat flour as their thickening agent.
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cook from scratch, you don't need processed products with ingredients. It's super easy to make marinara sauce and soups yourself. Rice cakes and gluten free pasta are generally low in nutrients, just high glycaemic index carbs (= sugar so inflammatory).

Not sure about the US but here in the UK Amazon stock loads of health food brands and long life wholefoods.

A slow cooker/ crock pot is so useful and meals can be thrown together in literally five minutes - yes I timed it for my nutrition clients! - I have one that is a steamer and rice cooker all in one. If you have a deep freeze or don't mind eating similar meals two or three times in a few days you can cook in bulk. A cheap stick blender converts a meal to soup.

Consider frozen fruit and veggies, dried pulses, unsweetened dried fruit, brown basmati rice, canned plain tomatoes and canned pulses. To be honest tho gluten free vegan without any green vegetables is dangerously restrictive/ incredibly tough to be balanced. You would do well to see a registered dietician.

Are you supplementing with a high strength marine algae supplement for long chain omega-3s, and a high strength freeze dried probiotic (friendly bacteria) in capsule form? These two combined improve IBS for many, and should be used after antibiotics or a severe digestive disturbance.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi Munchy. I've been struggling finding gluten free products and ingredients such as zucchini, marinara. There aren't any vegan shops around my area so I find myself limited to a few small range of vegetables( I can't have green vegetables, they make me bloat up) and fruits. I have Rice cakes, but I just find them tasting like cardboard. As for soups, all the soups I've been able to find so far use wheat flour as their thickening agent.

If you aren't eating *any* green vegetables I hope you are taking some supplements.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com

Ahh, I see. Like firefox, I am a from-scratch cooker because I don't like to feed myself or my child too many chemicals, and because I'm frugal! I don't use boxed goods that say "gluten free" but I certainly use some convenience foods (like canned tomatoes and frozen vegetables).

I make my simple marinara sauce with a few garlic cloves crushed and heated with oil, canned san marzano tomatoes, a bay leaf, oregano, salt, and finished with fresh basil. I make large batches so I have extra jars in my freezer.

Zucchini - I take that and use a peeler to peel it into strips. Take those strips and heat them, then top with the marinara. Super easy. I have a spiralizer to noodle them, but the peeler works just as well.

My boyfriend (with IBS) doesn't have issues with zucchini, although sometimes does with other greens - sometimes the fiber from a baby kale or baby spinach salad will "clean him out" but it doesn't seem to be as painful as certain other foods.

Rice sticks are not rice cakes. They are noodles made from rice flour typically used in Asian dishes like pad thai or mei fun. I use them in my chicken noodle soup, noodle bowls, and stir fries (use gluten free soy sauce/tamari).

Corn tortillas (come in a smalls shelf-stable stack) are awesome for making tacos. They are almost always gluten free - just check the label. You can make wraps with spreads and veggies inside - make sure you heat the tortillas on both sides first so they don't break, you can make tacos, and even cut them to make tortilla chips.

I make about 2-3 big batches of soups every 2 weeks or so. I freeze them in individual containers so that I can just pack one for lunch daily. If you're stuck, Progresso has a few gluten free soups, as does Amy's and Pacific (typically found in the organic section).

One pot meals like vegetables mixed with rice and easy and filling.

I would also check out The Gluten Free Vegan and Gluten Free Vegan Girl for more ideas.
    Thank you so much guys. You have extremely helpful :), and to answer the supplements question, yes I'm taking several and some minerals too along with shakes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file