Brown to Red

hippiechic81hippiechic81 Registered Users Posts: 1,239
So I'm in need of a change and I wanted to do a new hair color. I was originally against any type of red because I had done that for years and even though I loved it and it looked great, it faded so damn fast I'd go crazy. However, I just started doing water-washing only and I've heard from other people that their hair color is lasting much longer so I was thinking of maybe trying out red again. I was eye-balling John Frieda's new color foam products and I was wondering if A) anyone try them? and B) I'm currently a medium brown and kind of wanting a deeper cherry/burgundy red. Do you think I'd be able to achieve that with box color? In case it helps, I do not follow CG at all but I can't use products with gluten or soy. Thanks!!!! :headbang:
2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
- Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    I switched from box dye burgundy to high pigment semi permanent red (like Manic Panic) due to fade and damage. My hair colour is richer for much longer and hair is healthier too. I dye over a weak peroxide only blonde box dye.

A high pigment semi will take on medium to porous hair and are usually colour molecules on a conditioner base. This means they can safely be left anything up to overnight for best penetration.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Registered Users Posts: 1,239
    Thanks Firefox! I was wondering if Manic Panic would be a better choice. I've never used it before nor have I ever used bleach (at home) but there's a Sally's right up the road from me and the salespeople there are super friendly and nice so maybe I'll ask what I should get. Thanks!
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    I've never used persulphate bleach either: I don't need the high lift it gives, scared about over processing, and I have eczematous skin. Hence why I went for the box dye which is in my 'comfort zone' - it is sulphate and silicone free too (my skin is sulphate sensitive).

For burgundy you would only need a weak peroxide mix probably 10 vol. I won't lie, any two step process is a PITA but so worth it for the healthier hair and better colour over time.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • CallyCally Registered Users Posts: 58
    I feel your pain. I chemically dyed my hair red for years. I would recommend henna, but it's permanent and a big commitment.
    Fine 2c-3a Curls
    Normal porosity/ Medium density
    Henna over color-treated hair
    Not currently CG :(
    Poo: Pureology hydrate
    RO: Pureology hydrate
    LI: HSH Tri-wheat spray
    DT: Coconut oil
    PT: Henna/Cassia
    Styler: AG recoil/mousse-gel
  • PrettycurlsPrettycurls Registered Users Posts: 1,482
    Achieving that color should be easy for you! :) Also look into the protein color filler in red, not neutral, and try adding that to your color. I heard that the protein filler makes the color last longer, makes it more intense, and keeps your hair in good condition.

Not sure if these were the colors you were looking for, but they are worth a gander for research purposes. Just browse you tube and find someone with your natural color or similar and see what they did.

HOW I: Refresh My Red ( Root Touchup) + Red Hair Update - YouTube
    HIT or Miss: Colorful "Neutral" Protein Filler - YouTube

I have a more complex situation as I am trying to find the perfect copper shade without going too orange and I want blonde highlights. LOL!

So I'm in need of a change and I wanted to do a new hair color. I was originally against any type of red because I had done that for years and even though I loved it and it looked great, it faded so damn fast I'd go crazy. However, I just started doing water-washing only and I've heard from other people that their hair color is lasting much longer so I was thinking of maybe trying out red again. I was eye-balling John Frieda's new color foam products and I was wondering if A) anyone try them? and B) I'm currently a medium brown and kind of wanting a deeper cherry/burgundy red. Do you think I'd be able to achieve that with box color? In case it helps, I do not follow CG at all but I can't use products with gluten or soy. Thanks!!!! :headbang:
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file