Does this happen to anyone else?

lolo918lolo918 Registered Users Posts: 729 Curl Neophyte
As I've gotten older, I've noticed that I need to take my allergy meds (over the counter Zyrtec) more during the entire year. December marked my one year fully natural anniversary, but I had started to notice that I sometimes have inexplicable itchy scalps. I had tried low-pooing, clarifying, moisturizing, and applying my products farther away from my scalp but nothing was working. It didn't happen on a very regular basis, so it became hard to pin down what triggered it.

What I've finally discovered is that if I go too many days without taking my once daily pills it catches up with me- my skin get's ichy but not dry, I start getting congested, and my scalp even gets itchy! It's the craziest thing ever to me, but I'm glad I know what it is coming from now.

What I was wondering was if this happens/has happened to anyone else here?
3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    Hmm, I honestly never thought to look for a correlation. But since I haven't taken my allergy meds in a few days, I'll do my best to pay attention (I generally need allergy meds daily because I'm allergic to my cats). It makes sense to me...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 326 Curl Connoisseur
    Absolutely! The older I get the worse it becomes. If I go too many days without Zyrtec my scalp could become one big hive. Hair dye, being in a dusty place, tree pollen...somany things can bring on the itching. Zyrtec helps but even that has its limits.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • lolo918lolo918 Registered Users Posts: 729 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the replies ladies! I had been starting this post, and deleting it because I felt like it was a silly question. Then I figured I thought I was crazy until I realized that my scalp only started itching when I had been forgetting to take my Zyrtec. Up until that point I was getting worried that I might need to see a physician. Which also brought me about to that conclusion- I started tracking my symptoms in case I did need that help.
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • curlybeycurlybey Registered Users Posts: 30
    I don't have any known allergies but my scalp is itchy too I think due to dry scalp, I try to moisturize. I'm planning on getting jojoba oil and tea tree oil for it.

Sent from my GT-I8262 using CurlTalk App
  • andreajones188andreajones188 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 136 Curl Connoisseur
    edited September 2021
    Itchy Scalp driving you crazy? An itchy scalp is one of the most common and unpleasant hair care struggles we face. A itchy dry scalp mainly comes from lack of moisture, which is why you’ll most likely experience it in the winter. People often mistake a itchy dry scalp for dandruff. THIS IS NOT TRUE. If you have dandruff, your flakes will be large and your scalp will be extremely oily. If you have a itchy dry scalp, your flakes will be small and dry in texture. Below we’ll be answering your most asked questions on why this happens and how to prevent, it so you can say GOODBYE to an itchy scalp.
  • jennykimjennykim Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10 Curl Neophyte
    i was also facing this issue when i get older my hair start falling and itchy i have done moisturising and some homemade products by https://danielpessintrades.com/ that help me much to deal this situation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file