Coloring your hair: Do it right!!
I’ve been noticing a lot of stigma around colored natural hair. Or really just colored hair in general. And as a person who dyed their hair (relaxed and natural) I thought I’d put in my 2 cents, wanted or not lol A lot of people say that if you dye your hair it will damage it. You will have to cut it off. It will fall out. But that isn’t necessarily true. In some cases yes, your hair can break off. As what happened to me when I was relaxed. I had dyed my hair red (which was delightful by the way) and I didn’t really know much about dealing hair once it was dyed or whatever. And my mother was letting me do my own thing seeing as how I had hit high school and thought I knew everything about life. And I didn’t really do what I needed with my hair. I used heat almost everyday and when I didn’t feel up to the heat process, I just threw it in a pony tail. Long story short that pony tail gave me an unwanted hair cut lmao And then I dyed my hair whilst being natural and it was a much different result. It was much better result. With that being said I’d like to provide some tips to help your colored hair:
- Don’t overuse the bleach. Bleach will add to the damaging of your hair regardless of how much care you take. It’s bleach come on. We all know it is NO good for your hair. Try a natural color enhancer when dying your hair to avoid the bleach. Lemon, Cinnamon, even Peroxide (which is better for me) But if you just can’t avoid it try to take the bleach down a bit.
- Heat. Use as little of it as possible. Naturals know that rule anyways, but relaxed women use heat more often. And that is okay, just try to make a heat-hair style last a little longer. The heat can create drier hair than what you are already having and no one wants that.
- MOISTURE. Please dears, moisture that hair. Seriously. As black people our hair is naturally a bit dry. W/o color it is a bit hard to make sure that it is at a healthy moisture level, with the added drying chemicals and it is damn near impossible. Notice I didn’t say it was completely impossible. Moisture is attainable.
- Washing. Don’t listen to instructions and people when they say if you wash your hair before 4 weeks of dying it then it’ll be a waste. Wash your damn hair. Condition it. There are color treated hair conditioners that have no drying agents, you need to look for them. Same goes for shampoos. Also don’t be afraid to use a regular conditioner. When I originally dyed my hair, I would take a bit of both, mix them, and condition my hair and it worked well for me. Same goes for shampoo’s.
- If you are going to regularly color your hair, trim regularly as well.
- For the naturals please stop allowing people to tell you that you can’t be a natural once you dye your hair. The definition is to not use chemicals to alter your hair TEXTURE not the damn color.