Coloring your hair: Do it right!!

ShadaeNaturallyShadaeNaturally Registered Users Posts: 54 Curl Neophyte
I’ve been noticing a lot of stigma around colored natural hair. Or really just colored hair in general. And as a person who dyed their hair (relaxed and natural) I thought I’d put in my 2 cents, wanted or not lol A lot of people say that if you dye your hair it will damage it. You will have to cut it off. It will fall out. But that isn’t necessarily true. In some cases yes, your hair can break off. As what happened to me when I was relaxed. I had dyed my hair red (which was delightful by the way) and I didn’t really know much about dealing hair once it was dyed or whatever. And my mother was letting me do my own thing seeing as how I had hit high school and thought I knew everything about life. And I didn’t really do what I needed with my hair. I used heat almost everyday and when I didn’t feel up to the heat process, I just threw it in a pony tail. Long story short that pony tail gave me an unwanted hair cut lmao And then I dyed my hair whilst being natural and it was a much different result. It was much better result. With that being said I’d like to provide some tips to help your colored hair:
  1. Don’t overuse the bleach. Bleach will add to the damaging of your hair regardless of how much care you take. It’s bleach come on. We all know it is NO good for your hair. Try a natural color enhancer when dying your hair to avoid the bleach. Lemon, Cinnamon, even Peroxide (which is better for me) But if you just can’t avoid it try to take the bleach down a bit.
  2. Heat. Use as little of it as possible. Naturals know that rule anyways, but relaxed women use heat more often. And that is okay, just try to make a heat-hair style last a little longer. The heat can create drier hair than what you are already having and no one wants that.
  3. MOISTURE. Please dears, moisture that hair. Seriously. As black people our hair is naturally a bit dry. W/o color it is a bit hard to make sure that it is at a healthy moisture level, with the added drying chemicals and it is damn near impossible. Notice I didn’t say it was completely impossible. Moisture is attainable.
  4. Washing. Don’t listen to instructions and people when they say if you wash your hair before 4 weeks of dying it then it’ll be a waste. Wash your damn hair. Condition it. There are color treated hair conditioners that have no drying agents, you need to look for them. Same goes for shampoos. Also don’t be afraid to use a regular conditioner. When I originally dyed my hair, I would take a bit of both, mix them, and condition my hair and it worked well for me. Same goes for shampoo’s.
  5. If you are going to regularly color your hair, trim regularly as well.
  6. For the naturals please stop allowing people to tell you that you can’t be a natural once you dye your hair. The definition is to not use chemicals to alter your hair TEXTURE not the damn color.
Peace and Love guys ^_^

Comments

• ASK96ASK96 Registered Users Posts: 5
    What's the difference between peroxide and bleach for you hair ?
  • HtBlackHtBlack Registered Users Posts: 292
    They're both chemicals that lift colour from your hair. The chemical structure is different, the result is the same. Peroxide is in no more natural than bleach, even though box dyes will advertise it as more gentle than bleach because it doesn't "have ammonia".

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
    A 2C, wishfully thinking of being 3a. Sometimes I get there. CG since October 2013, Eurocurly (just for a few months more!), completely low-porosity now. SBL, wanting elbow length.

--
    Routine:
    CW-LI: Garnier Ultra Doux (Cocoa+Coconut Oil/Mango+Tiaré) or my own products.
    DC: Biofficina Toscana Maschera Nutriente Protettiva, or my own product.
    Homemade FSG, L'Oreal Styling Gel.
  • ASK96ASK96 Registered Users Posts: 5
    So they'll both give damage to your hair ?
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    ASK96 wrote: »
    So they'll both give damage to your hair ?

Yes.

Also beware that permanent hair dye that claims it is free from "bleach and ammonia" has another chemical in it to lift colour from your hair and so will also be damaging.

It's just like with relaxers they claim they have "no lye" when in fact they have another chemical that does the same thing and is equally (or more) damaging.
  • HtBlackHtBlack Registered Users Posts: 292
    Blueblood is exactly right. Ads are really so misleading.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
    A 2C, wishfully thinking of being 3a. Sometimes I get there. CG since October 2013, Eurocurly (just for a few months more!), completely low-porosity now. SBL, wanting elbow length.

--
    Routine:
    CW-LI: Garnier Ultra Doux (Cocoa+Coconut Oil/Mango+Tiaré) or my own products.
    DC: Biofficina Toscana Maschera Nutriente Protettiva, or my own product.
    Homemade FSG, L'Oreal Styling Gel.
  • NayaMooreNayaMoore Registered Users Posts: 60
    Your hair has to be in amazing condition to dye it. This is why I'm not dying it this month like I said I was, my hair isn't ready. Afro hair is super fragile and I have dry hair so my hands would be in my head 24/7 moisturizing it. Not sure if I'm ready for that especially since I'm going back as a full time student next fall.
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Banned Users Posts: 1,073
    I do not agree, peroxide and bleach are not nearly the same, and IMO peroxide, especially if in a creme developer, is less damaging than bleach, bleach requires peroxide for developing, so besides the effect of its own chemicals you have the effect of the peroxide. But both leave the hair more porous than it used to be.

And unless a person wants to go to a light blond, there is often no need to use bleach at all. For example, a person with dark brown hair can go to a very light slightly reddish brown by using a neutral light blond, or a more golden light brown if using an ash light blond (which is what I did for years when I was younger). And if warmth (= red/gold) is what is desired, a high-lift blond will lighten several shades and it will not be any more "damaging" than coloring it dark. If using a "box" product from the drugstore, the trick is to leave the product on longer than the instructions say, about 45 min. for maximum lightening. Of course, I'm referring here to "virgin" hair, if it's been colored already that's completely another story.

A protein treatment is advised before coloring but must be avoided right after coloring as it would leach out some of the color (unless one wants that!). After coloring use moisturizing DTs and/or creams before putting on styling products and avoid heat or being out in the sun whenever possible.
  • ShadaeNaturallyShadaeNaturally Registered Users Posts: 54 Curl Neophyte
    I had no idea that all of you ladies responded, which I thank you for. I haven't had any complications from dying my hair. I mean no extra dryness or anything but then again I don't bleach my hair at all and rarely use peroxide. Unless I want my hair super light. I do however give my hair regular cinnamon treatments, so that always helps when I feel like dying it again.

Sent from my e1901_v77_jdt1_9p017_fwvga using CurlTalk App
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Banned Users Posts: 1,073
    I had no idea that all of you ladies responded, which I thank you for. I haven't had any complications from dying my hair. I mean no extra dryness or anything but then again I don't bleach my hair at all and rarely use peroxide. Unless I want my hair super light. I do however give my hair regular cinnamon treatments, so that always helps when I feel like dying it again.

Sent from my e1901_v77_jdt1_9p017_fwvga using CurlTalk App

Well, I liked your post! I've been dying my hair since I was 14, and that was a LONG time ago, lol! I began with just a slight change as 'back then' natural highlights were considered indication of damage so then "everyone" wanted even-colored hair :roll:. Only during a brief period of maybe a couple of years I didn't color because I'd returned to my natural dark brown. Then at some point, especially with each period of stress in my life (oh, and how many I had!) my head would sprout a new patch of gray so soon it became a "need" instead of just a "want".

I also chemically straightened my hair for years. It was a very mild product but in my fine hair the combo prevented me from growing my hair as long as I would've wanted it when I was young. So I've dealt with my color-treated hair in different ways and through various hair fashion trends. Also, after going to beauty school I became more aware of ingredients in products and the need to do regular DTs, and I know how far I can push the limits.

The only time that I suffered irreversible damage on my hair was back in 2003 when I went from very dark to a dark blond and someone else put bleach on my hair instead of a color remover, so I had to have a 2nd (and later a 3rd) application, which is way more than most people ever have to undergo. At the time the over-processed part of my hair lost the curl and was prone to breakage. I survived for a while with roller sets and a few mini-trims but eventually got tired and had all the remaining damaged ends cut off.

But most people don't do so much to their hair in a very short time anyway. When hair is healthy it can take quite a bit of "abuse", and for me being on CG has actually been a blessing and my "saving grace". In recent months I've stripped my hair 2x, and colored the whole length (leaving the product from 45 min. to an hour at least 3x) but my hair looks and behaves just fine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file