What have my fellow protein sensitive curlies been up to?

FrostiiLoveFrostiiLove Registered Users Posts: 105
Haven't seen much action on the protein sensitive forum lately. So, I just wanted to see what everybody is doing these days as far as routine and product.

Here's what I've been doing:

Co wash and detangle every other day with yes to carrots.

Moisturize everyday with a mixture of curl junkie smoothing, yes to carrots and water spritz. I do this twice a day on non wash days.

Still searching for a non drying shampoo :/

Comments

• FrostiiLoveFrostiiLove Registered Users Posts: 105
    Bump!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I only recently figured out I'm protein sensitive! I always just thought I had horrible hair and then once in a blue moon I would have a good hair day. I finally figured it out. Hoping for some good responses to the OP's question. :wave:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • lisar12lisar12 Registered Users Posts: 45 Curl Neophyte
    Driving myself crazy trying to find a product my hair likes at all. The only thing my hair likes so far is the Kinky Curly Come Clean and Knot Today. I need to find either a leave in, wash out, or deep conditioner.A styler would also work.
    Hey curlypearl and welcome to the protein sensitive life! Honestly, it's a ongoing process of trial and error but it's manageable. Are you only sensitive to proteins or can you use thing that mimic protein such as coconut oil, aloe, and various plant extracts?

Hi Lisa, I see that you have success with the kinky curly line which is loaded with plant extracts. That's great because most no protein products use them.
  • RebeccaKRebeccaK Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm mostly a lurker, but thought I'd comment here to list the products I've found to work (mostly consistently) with my protein, aloe, and humectant sensitive hair.

I either wash with Dr. Bronner's Hemp Rose Castille Soap Bar or with Dr. Wood's Liquid Castille Soap (ACV rinse after) or co-wash with Suave Naturals Daily Clarifying Conditioner.

I use Suave Everlasting Sunshine conditioner as a RO conditioner and leave-in (works especially well when I mix in grapeseed or almond oil before using). I then add a layer of just oil (mineral oil works for me, or grapeseed or almond is fine too).

I was using LA Looks Power Spikes, until I realized the new bottle I purchased now include Keratin Amino Acids. Grrrr! KCCC works well if the dew points are high (otherwise the aloe is bad news).

Most days I add another layer of the leave-in conditioner+oil after everything is mostly dried... this helps, too. I seriously would use Elmer's Glue if I thought it would help!

My hair starts out looking like the first picture every day. Most days, it becomes the second picture by mid-way through. So frustrating! I am about to order a hair analysis from Goosefootprints, because I've gone as far as I can on my own in trying to figure out what makes the curls sometimes last and sometimes fall out. (third picture is without any product)

Didn't mean to make this response all about my own frustrations.... mostly wanted to share these products in case they're helpful to other protein sensitive curlies!

Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps (Whole Foods or online)
    Ingredients: Saponfied organic coconut oil*, saponified organic palm oil*, saponified organic olive oil*, organic glycerin, water, organic cannabis sativa (hemp) seed oil, organic simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, natural rose fragrance, sodium chloride, citric acid and tocopherol (vit. E).

Dr. Woods Naturals Castille Soap (Whole Foods or online)
    Ingredients: purified water, organic coconut oil, potassium hydroxide*, organic olive oil, natural rose fragrance, citric acid, tocopherol, organic rosemary oil, organic hemp oil, organic jojoba oil.

Suave Daily Clarifying Conditioner (Drugstore)
    Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Disodium EDTA, PEG-150 Distearate, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1, 3-Diol, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Suave Everlasting Sunshine Conditioner (Drugstore)
    Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Fragrance, Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, PEG 150 Distearate, 2 Bromo 2 Nitropropane 1, 3 Diol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Polysorbate 20, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Oil, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract, Passiflora Incarnata Flower Extract, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Red 33 (CI 17200)
    I've tried the everlasting sunshine and the clarifying conditioner they did nothing for my hair. I really wanted to like a suave conditioner because of the price. I'm glad you've found something's that work for you.
    The reason the Suave works for me is because I mix in oil before using it - otherwise it would not be moisturizing enough. It's the only product I've found so far that doesn't cause issues (and isn't extremely costly), but it wouldn't work for me without the added oils.

Do you think the shampoos I listed would be too drying for you?

I was looking at the L'Oreal Oleo Therapy Shampoo in the store the other day - didn't buy it but didn't see any protein at first glance.

Ingredients: Aqua/Water/Eau, Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate, Sodium Cocoamphopropionate, Cocamide Mipa, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Propylene Glycol, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Trioleate, Decyl Glucoside, Peg-150 Distearate, Ppg-5-ceteth-20, Parfum/Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Peg-55 Propylene Glycol Oleate, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Sodium Benzoate, Hydroxypropyl Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Hexyl Cinnamal, Methyl Cocoate, Hydroxycitronellal, Sodium Cocoate, Argania Spinosa Oil/Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Cocos Nucifera Oil/Coconut Oil, Isoeugenol, Sodium Hydroxide, Chamomilla Recutita Extract/Matricaria Flower Extract, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Ci 19140/Yellow 5, Methylisothiazolinone, Ci 15510/Orange 4, Gardenia Tahitensis Flower Extract, Rosa Canina Flower Extract, Nelumbium Speciosum Extract/Nelumbium Speciosum Flower Extract, Linum Usitatissimum Flower Extract, Citric Acid.
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    Wow that is a laundry list of ingredients!
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    It certainly is! I don't see protein, though (which doesn't mean I didn't miss it) and felt it was relevant to the comment from the OP looking for protein-free shampoo.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file