So frustrated with my hair.

sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I don't know what products to use anymore. I feel like I'm a newbie and I just can't figure out my hair anymore. As we probably all know, the stupid cold air I'm sure isn't helping (I'm in the Midwest).

It seems like whatever I use is just not defining my curls. I was using the Shea Moisture products, and had luck with them, but they seem to not give me the results anymore that I'm looking for. I seem to do better with the YTCucs shampoo, but my problem is dry hair after using that. I feel like I need something in between YTCucs and the Shea Moisture shampoo. I tried the As I Am shampoo, and it leaves some type of filmy stuff on my hair that I just don't like.

My hair curls, but not like it used to. There has not been 1 day in the past month where I loved my hair. Maybe it's my haircut.. I'm not sure. This Deva cut thing I'm starting to question.. my hair just seems uneven. I mean, it is, but it's visually noticeable to me. My OCD is in overdrive. I hate to cut it again.. lol

Does anybody have any suggestions for gentle yet effective sulfate free shampoos? I've also tried the Shea Moisture baby line and there seems to be too many oils in them for my hair to handle.
2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
:bunny:
NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
:thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

Comments

• mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    I'm sorry you're feeling that way. It is the WORST. I still have a hard time with my hair a lot, too. Do you have a nearby Trader Joe's? I use their Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and I love it. I never feel dry after that. Sorry, I know that's not that helpful. I mostly just wanted to tell you I feel you, on your hair frustration.

How long ago did you get your Devacut? I got one in September of last year and I feel like my hair is in need of some shaping again. But I've heard they last from 6-8 months. I kind of feel like there might be a difference in getting a devacut by a trained stylist and getting one from Devachan but I am not going to drive to the closest Devachan because it's like six hour away.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• okyouwinokyouwin Posts: 157Registered Users
    I so know what you are dealing with! Ever since January came to town I've been dealing with hair problems! I felt like I couldn't put anything in my hair or it would get completely weighed down. I use a very light gel and my conditioner is really light so I had a feeling it was my shampoo. I use Renpure Argan oil shampoo which has a polyquat in it. I clarified and my hair was fine and then I used the Renpure again and I was weighed down. I pulled out an old tube of Neutrogena Triple Moisture shampoo and used it out of desperation and I really liked it! It has low poo sulphates in it which I was unaware of. It played well with my conditioner and gel so I'm cautiously optimistic...so there is my suggestion for a low poo and maybe you need to clarify? Let us know how it's going for you!
    I'm going to go ahead and say 3a
    fine/medium texture and a bit porous-I color
    Spring routine: Renpure luxurious argan oil shampoo/Loreal Advanced Care Color conditioner , HETT gel
    Microfiber towel/diffuse
    Trying KKCC
  • okyouwinokyouwin Posts: 157Registered Users
    Update: Ugh found a quat in the Neutrogena shampoo! It's a different # than the one in Renpure so I'm going to keep using the Neutrogena and see what happens. My hair already feels better so it is worth a shot!
    I'm going to go ahead and say 3a
    fine/medium texture and a bit porous-I color
    Spring routine: Renpure luxurious argan oil shampoo/Loreal Advanced Care Color conditioner , HETT gel
    Microfiber towel/diffuse
    Trying KKCC
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    mustangbunny - I got my last cut about a month ago. I was super happy with the previous one, but I had to go home and cut a few places after I styled. That's the problem - my hair doesn't always curl the same everyday. I cut another piece off the other day cuz it just wasn't laying right - not sure if I should've done that or not, but oh well. lol

okyouwin - Yeah, polyquats are toughies. Some are ok and some are not. I try to stay away as best as possible. My YTCucs is pretty clarifying. I do use a sulfate once a month or so... sometimes more.

I just realized after I posted this, that I am overdo for a new shower filter. My skin has been really itchy and dry for the past month or so as well. So I'm thinking that may be my issue. Although, I do need a new shampoo. I might take a search around the stores this weekend and just check some stuff out. I feel like I need something without all the goodies added, but then it's too drying. But all the added goodies seem to put gunk in my hair. Gah! I can't win :(
    Hopefully it's the shower thing. Have you tried Kinky Curly Come Clean? I've heard good things about it.

Honestly, a bad hair day kind of affects my mood all day. I'll be okay I just won't want to do anything. So I hope someone can chime in with some more helpful advice for you so you don't have anymore bad hair days!

PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

Go Red Wings!

• mysterycurlsmysterycurls Posts: 58Registered Users
    yup. I feel your pain. I'm dealing with some broken hairs in the crown as well as general frizz and sometimes it seems there is no rhyme or reason for it. I can use the same products and techniques on two different days that are similar weather-wise and end up with vastly different results. Yesterday it was undefined curl and frizz. Today, the curls are better defined but the frizz is still there. Yesterday it was dry and today it is soft.

My biggest challenge is finding good products to use right now. What I'm like the best is the As I Am Curling Jelly, which has glycerin in it and I'm pretty sure that is aggravating the crown frizz. However, all my non-glycerin styling products have PVPs which dry out my hair or polyquats which produce a whole different kind of frizz that looks really horrible and give me no definition. So the glycerin is like the best of the three and believe it or not, my hair is soft when I'm using the curling jelly, as long as I use it with the supersoaker method.

Of course the other issue is having to diffuse, which is really probably what is causing my frizz and making those little broken hairs stand up. I just can't go out with my hair this wet and with product in it my hair will take forever to dry completely. The curling jelly also tends to make drying take a lot longer too.

I like the yes to cucumbers too and was using the poo regularly, but when the dryness started I shelved it. I don't think it the poo really - it's just right now my hair needs moisture. So I started co-washing everyday but one and that has helped a lot. I actually picked up the AIA Co-wash when it was on sale at Sally's and I like it.

I'm hoping that once the weather warms up a bit and becomes more predictable, I'll get a handle on whatever is going on with my hair. I'm in the south, so here it will be really cold with low dew-points for 5 days and then, boom we are back in the 50s and 60s with mid-range dew-points. That is somewhat normal for here, but this year the low temps and dew-points are more extreme. I'm just holding out for spring.
    2b/c, medium-coarse, high-density, medium-porosity, CG since 2011.
    Co-wash: Suave/ VO5
    RO: Yes to Cucumbers, GVPCB, Tresemme Naturals
    LI: GVP CB, Yes to Cucumbers
    Sealant: Argan, Grapeseed, Apricot Kernal (still working on it)
    Styler: GF Pure Clean, HETT, Volumax
    DT: Ion Effective Care, GVPCB, Yes to Cucumbers

Experimenting with Curly Kinks ReNew, Coil Jam and Satin Roots. Also FSG.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Feeling your pain, Amy! January has not been nice to my hair AT ALL. It's like the cold weather hit and my curls went 'hahaha no, sorry, we're not cooperating with that'.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    Also I have heard the Jessicurl Gentle Lather is non-stripping. They sell samples on their site for a few dollars so you don't have to make a huge commitment, either.

Go Red Wings!

• DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I feel the exact same way! I have loved my hair some days (very few days) and most others it just drives me crazy. Today is one of those days. I finally got the CG Handbook yesterday and thought I would try their styling methods. Whoa! Not such a good idea the day of an interview. Now, I'm sitting at work wondering what the hell I'm going to do with this ball of frizz on my head (I touched it way too much trying to get it to cooperate). It is so bad today! Every time I think I'm taking two steps forward, I'm actually going backwards. so frustrating. This St. Louis weather isn't helping either. 2 degrees one day, 40 the next. My hair is probably confused. :confused2:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

I hate to say that I'm glad I'm not alone, but I'm glad I'm not alone. lol

I've tried the AIA Curling Jelly and hated it. Their cowash is a bit heavy for me and I can't seem to do cowashes very well with hard water. So if it's a filter issue, that's definitely a no no.

Haven't tried Kinky Curly Come Clean - I checked out the ingredients once and I think it would be a bit more drying than the YTCucs. The YTCucs is awesome, maybe I just need a good complimentary conditioner with it. I swear I've tried everything under the sun.

I used YTCucs last night with SM Curl & Shine conditioner as a rinse out, and used the SM smoothie as a leave in. My hair is better today, but still not great. It's just.. not frizzy, but not stringy.. somewhere in between. It's like I've just gotten out of bed or something. And this one part on my head is just very flat. I don't get it! My hair was doing so well!

I really want to find a good deep conditioner, but it's extremely hard to find one without polyquats.

Picking up a replacement filter tonight, so I'm really hoping that solves or at least helps my issue.
    Sometimes when I feel stuck and I don't know what to do I just do everything. PT and DT. It usually leads me to what I need to do.

Have you tried diluting your current shampoo? I've been diluting my products and it's been really helpful in keeping my hair balanced. I don't know if diluting shampoo is really the same as conditioner, I've never tried it. Korkscrew wrote a blog post about it on her Ringlet Fandango page. It was very helpful.

Go Red Wings!

• JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
    I know this goes against the grain, but have you tried any glycerin-heavy styling products? I don't mean products that have glycerin farther down the ingredient list. I mean products that have it as the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th ingredient. My hair is a disaster in the winter without glycerin-heavy stylers and fantastic with them.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
    My hair was so awful yesterday. I left way too much conditioner in there and then used the SM gel in a hurry. Wow....my hair was so limp and crunchy. It was frightening. I tried washing some of it out at work, but that didn't really help. I also tried to SOTC, but it the cast just wouldn't break. It just frizzed out. This morning, however, my curls looked soft and bouncy, yet frizzy in parts. Weird.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Are you sure your hair was fully dry before you SOTC? Too much conditioner will make it ghouls more water for longer. Some products go crunchy on me but if left another hour or two after it *seems* dry and it softens by itself.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    Are you sure your hair was fully dry before you SOTC? Too much conditioner will make it ghouls more water for longer. Some products go crunchy on me but if left another hour or two after it *seems* dry and it softens by itself.

Yeah, my hair was fully dry when I tried to SOTC. I left it alone because I thought it might not be fully dry, but then tried again a few hours later. The whole day was the same (my hair dries pretty fast usually). It was just way too hard. I think it was the gel. It felt dry and not moisturized. I'm sure I used too much in a rush. My hair has never done that before. Typically, if I use too much of something or need to SOTC, it works well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Air Dry

• MyLittleCurlyMyLittleCurly Posts: 12Registered Users
    So this one of my first posts on here so sorry if it comes out funny!

I am in the same boat as well (Ohio) and the current exceedingly dry, cold weather is playing its toll on my hair. My hair is the same as well. Where it seems to change daily in regards to how curly or not it seems to be.

What is your budget range? Once I know I may be able to suggest some I have tried.

Kinky Curly Come Clean was a miss for me. It seemed to make my low porosity hair lower (with squeakiness and everything).

I like Curl Junkie Daily Fix at the moment (that may be a bit too expensive for you though). I follow it with CJ Beauticurls strengthening (has a lot of protein so beware if you hair doesn't like it).

Did you want just shampoo's. Or anything?

Also this may be a weird one, but have you thought of a humidifier? It may help to put moisture in the air while your hair is drying.

I just put in an order for Amazon for a ton of new products. Will update if any of them are doing wonders!
    New to accepting my curls :D
    Curl type: Finding this out! ,Porosity: Really Low, Density: Medium/Thick, Width: Fine

Poo: Deva No poo, Curl Junkie Daily Fix
    RO: Deva OneCon, Curl Junkie Strengthening
    LI: ??
    Products: ??

Hair likes: Protein (maybe)
    Any advice is greatly appriciated :afro:
    JLeighs wrote: »
    I know this goes against the grain, but have you tried any glycerin-heavy styling products? I don't mean products that have glycerin farther down the ingredient list. I mean products that have it as the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th ingredient. My hair is a disaster in the winter without glycerin-heavy stylers and fantastic with them.

I haven't been using glycerin, because our dews are extremely low. We've had days the temp has been -22 degrees. I haven't tried glycerin on the hair, I've heard not to use it. Tomorrow our dew point is supposed to be 3. I can try it, I guess. My hair loveloveloves it in the summertime!
    So this one of my first posts on here so sorry if it comes out funny!

I am in the same boat as well (Ohio) and the current exceedingly dry, cold weather is playing its toll on my hair. My hair is the same as well. Where it seems to change daily in regards to how curly or not it seems to be.

What is your budget range? Once I know I may be able to suggest some I have tried.

Kinky Curly Come Clean was a miss for me. It seemed to make my low porosity hair lower (with squeakiness and everything).

I like Curl Junkie Daily Fix at the moment (that may be a bit too expensive for you though). I follow it with CJ Beauticurls strengthening (has a lot of protein so beware if you hair doesn't like it).

Did you want just shampoo's. Or anything?

Also this may be a weird one, but have you thought of a humidifier? It may help to put moisture in the air while your hair is drying.

I just put in an order for Amazon for a ton of new products. Will update if any of them are doing wonders!

I tried the CJ Daily Fix and it left my hair kinda gummy when I rinsed it - not sure exactly how to describe it, but it just isn't for me. We've thought about getting a humidifier, my skin has been suffering greatly as well... but we can't find one that we like. I'm sure we would benefit from it.

I'm mainly looking for shampoos. I have a wide range of good conditioners that I love, but the PJ in me will take suggestions any day! Still looking for a deep conditioner without polyquats. My hair loves protein and can't seem to get enough. Although, PTs are not helping me much right now either. I changed my shower filter, but my hair is very limp today - I tried the SM baby wash again... I think it's safe to say my hair hates it. I don't really have a budget when it comes to hair.. lol. If it's great for my hair, that's all I care about. I can always return.

I really want spring and summer back so I can go back to using the products I know did wonders on my hair in decent weather. Sigh.
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
    sixelamy wrote: »

I haven't been using glycerin, because our dews are extremely low. We've had days the temp has been -22 degrees. I haven't tried glycerin on the hair, I've heard not to use it. Tomorrow our dew point is supposed to be 3. I can try it, I guess. My hair loveloveloves it in the summertime!

We've had that kind of weather here too lately. I don't know that it will work for you. I just thought I'd suggest it because I didn't use it in the winter for years because I'd heard not to use it. I only decided to try it one day (Queen Helene Royal Curl Cream) last winter because I thought "eh, what the heck --nothing else is working." It sure worked. I was very, very surprised. I've recently tried another glycerin-heavy styler, Andalou Naturals Styling Cream, and it also works wonders on my hair. I also just received the UR Curly Tight Curl Enhancer which is glycerin-heavy as well. I'll be trying that tomorrow. Anyway, if you do try it, report back! :)
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • MyLittleCurlyMyLittleCurly Posts: 12Registered Users
    Yeah the weather has been crazy. Last week it was in the negatives, then yesterday was at least around 30 degrees raining, and then this morning is 10 with heavy snow. Our poor hair doesn't know what to do.

I saw someone suggested Jessicurl gentle lather. I haven't tried that but I did try the cleansing cream. I believe its a bit heavier than the gentle lather, but it wasn't too heavy for my hair.

I have heard a lot of success with people and Yes to Carrots Shampoo or variations of it.

Do you prefer no-poo or low-poo?

Is your hair fine with sulfates? mine does not, but I know a lot of curlies have said their hair is actually fine with sulfates. If so, I know a few that really like the curly hair solutions treatment shampoo and quidad shampoos.

I don't have a humidifier either, but I have been seriously considering one with these weather patterns of recent.

I'm sorry for the stress. Hair can be a stressful thing especially when it won't obey :(. Hopefully you will take solace and knowing you are not alone!
    New to accepting my curls :D
    Curl type: Finding this out! ,Porosity: Really Low, Density: Medium/Thick, Width: Fine

Poo: Deva No poo, Curl Junkie Daily Fix
    RO: Deva OneCon, Curl Junkie Strengthening
    LI: ??
    Products: ??

Hair likes: Protein (maybe)
    Any advice is greatly appriciated :afro:
  • sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users
    How often are you using the Y2cucs? I have it and it is VERY drying. There are a few things that I make sure I do before using that poo in the winter time (haha, I said poo).

The first is an overnight coconut oil pre-poo on the length. Not a slathering but enough to make it look like you haven't washed your hair properly in a week. (I have to watch my wording as the Water Only method is gaining popularity.)

If I forget to do a pre-poo, I do the good ol' spritz and condish method (it's in the techniques stickie). Just simply spritzing your hair with water then applying conditioner about 10-15 minutes before you hop in the shower.

If you can't be bothered with either of those, lol, at least coat your length with conditioner after you wet your hair, before you apply the shampoo.

I never use the Y2cucs shampoo (or any shampoo) full strength either. Here is a helpful article on how and why you should dilute shampoo: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-to-tame-strong-shampoo.html?m=1
    Basically it's 1-2 tsp of shampoo to one cup water. A condiment bottle or old hair dye bottle work well for this mixture plus you can apply it in rows all along your scalp.

Have you ever tried the Eden Bodyworks Cowash? It's cheap and available at Sally's. Here's the link so you can check it out: http://www.curlmart.com/product/eden-bodyworks-coconut-shea-cleansing-cowash/
    I've been having the best luck with it compared to any other cowashes, cleansing creams and conditioner washes combined. I had the same reaction with Daily Fix, it leaves a film on my hair no matter how long I rinse.

I'm sorry if some of these ideas are obvious but they sure have been helping me with the state of my hair in these negative dews.

Fine ~ Highly Porous ~ Low Density ~ Almost Tailbone Length
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

• sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users
    Amy, did you see my post above about diluting your shampoo? What did you think about the article?

I take back what I said about the Eden cowash. I used it yesterday and I have the itchies today.
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji