CurlTalk

Jeans question

MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,332Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I notice Chico's for example, carries jeans they call "so slimming". What I want to know is how the bleep can low rise jeans be "slimming"? for anyone except those women who are already slim?

Comments

• Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Posts: 400Registered Users
    Myrna wrote: »
    I notice Chico's for example, carries jeans they call "so slimming". What I want to know is how the bleep can low rise jeans be "slimming"? for anyone except those women who are already slim?

Some materials "hold" better than others. I love low-rise jeans, I had have a problem with jeans because I am "bootylious" and my waist is smaller so they gap in the back at the waist. With low riders I don't have to worry about that.
    My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
    3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
    Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
    Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
    Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
    Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
    Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
    Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I'm not familiar w/ Chico's jeans (love their colorful ornate jackets, tho)... but if someone has a paunchy belly, low rise is better. It's better that the paunch be held above the waistband of the pants than it be smashed down under the pants fabric. That creates front butt. If the paunch is just kind of suspended above the waist of he pants, it can kind of disappear under the right kind of top. This assuming the paunch isn't enormous...like a peniculus or something.

If you have love handhes (side flab) but a flat stomach, then higher rise is better.

Have you tried on a pair? Maybe you'll be pleasantly suprised?

• kurlykmgkurlykmg Posts: 1Registered Users
    I'm a real Chico's fan but have not tried their jeans. Have you tried "NMDJ" (Not My Daughter's Jeans) from Nordstroms? They are stretchy, stylish, and NOT low riders. They are about $100 a pair but well worth it!
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users

I'm not familiar w/ Chico's jeans (love their colorful ornate jackets, tho)... but if someone has a paunchy belly, low rise is better. It's better that the paunch be held above the waistband of the pants than it be smashed down under the pants fabric. That creates front butt. If the paunch is just kind of suspended above the waist of he pants, it can kind of disappear under the right kind of top. This assuming the paunch isn't enormous...like a peniculus or something.

If you have love handhes (side flab) but a flat stomach, then higher rise is better.

Have you tried on a pair? Maybe you'll be pleasantly suprised?

I'm not familiar with Chico's jeans, either. I do have Dockers "skinny jeans." I find your comment about low rise jeans and paunch interesting. I am one of those folks who is very straight through the butt and hips. Most woman's pants are baggy in the thighs and under the butt. The skinny jeans are tighter and more flattering if one isn't "curvy." Had two abdominal surgeries this spring and still have swelling in the upper abdominal area, but no love handles. I find that the low rise jeans squeeze everything up. They are really flattering if I wear a sweater or non fitted shirt. If I wear a clingy silk or cotton tee shirt, you see a roll. Doesn't happen with higher rise pants or shorts.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,250Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm another one who feels better in low rise jeans (not super low, just an inch or 2 below the belly button). Even when I'm heavier I think they suit an hourglass figure better, holding in the stomach area.
    My favorite brand right now is ANA at Penney's. I have 6-8 pairs in different styles and love them all.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    I'm very short waisted so low rise pants in theory are supposed to look better. However, I think they contribute to a muffin top on me, so I prefer a normal waist/rise. I like either NYDJ (which are pricey) or even just the Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda jeans that I can pick up for $15/pair at Costco. I have those in every color since they're so inexpensive and I save my NYDJ for going out at night.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,332Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well, here are my two cents. I think pricey jeans are a total rip off. I like Chico's So Slimming, they are wonderful, comfortable. Also - and it the ONLY thing I will buy from Walmart - are their Faded Glory on line straight leg jeans - all washes, Talls, regulars and petites. The only thing is that in some washes I have to go up a size. And guess what - they are $12.00 I will have to look in to the Penney's ANA and the Costco. I do not like a boot cut, however. I like them on other people, just not on me. I prefer a narrow straight, not skinny, leg.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Jeans have gotten REALLY expensive over the last 10 or 12 years or so! Paying $200/pair is seen as almost a foregone conclusion for some ppl. I'm really resisting that practice as much as I can. But I have bought some premium denim here and there and I have to say, I LOVE IT!

• SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I recently tried J.Jill's Tried and True straight leg jeans and I love them! Got them on sale for about $30, and I would gladly pay full price for them (but will try to wait for another sale).
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,250Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    No idea if expensive jeans are better or not, but I don't think I have ever paid over $30 for a pair of jeans in my life, and usually much less. I would just rather have 15-20 pairs of jeans instead of 1 or 2.
    And now I'm in the mood for some more jeans!
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • curlyprincess1curlyprincess1 Posts: 468Registered Users
    I have some that I got off Ebay that I really, really love!
    It's not easy being a princess, but hey, if the crown fits.
    Curlyprincess, what brand did you get from Ebay that you love?
  • Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Posts: 662Registered Users
    Forever 21 has some awesome jeans for between $10-$15/pair. I bought 3 pair the last time I went in there and I love them. I'm not ever going into the $200/pair club. No thank you. I'm going to check Sam's since someone above mentioned Costco had nice jeans.
    My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,270Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I live in jeans. Just got a new pair this weekend. I don't know why I even try to go anywhere other than a western store. That's the only place that carries every size jean and some especially for curvy women. I highly endorse Wrangler "Mae" jeans. Highly.

Some materials "hold" better than others. I love low-rise jeans, I had have a problem with jeans because I am "bootylious" and my waist is smaller so they gap in the back at the waist. With low riders I don't have to worry about that.

Oh! That was another Wrangler style they had. Q-baby. Cut slightly higher in back and lined to stop that gap thing.
    2poodles wrote: »
    I'm very short waisted so low rise pants in theory are supposed to look better. However, I think they contribute to a muffin top on me, so I prefer a normal waist/rise. I like either NYDJ (which are pricey) or even just the Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda jeans that I can pick up for $15/pair at Costco. I have those in every color since they're so inexpensive and I save my NYDJ for going out at night.

My entire life, I've never tried on a pair of GVB that fit right. Never. Which stinks because they are more affordable.
    Jeans have gotten REALLY expensive over the last 10 or 12 years or so! Paying $200/pair is seen as almost a foregone conclusion for some ppl. I'm really resisting that practice as much as I can. But I have bought some premium denim here and there and I have to say, I LOVE IT!

Seriously, find a western outfitters store. The "rock" brands are still way pricey but you can find nice jeans that fit for 60 or less.
    No idea if expensive jeans are better or not, but I don't think I have ever paid over $30 for a pair of jeans in my life, and usually much less. I would just rather have 15-20 pairs of jeans instead of 1 or 2.
    And now I'm in the mood for some more jeans!

Lucky you! For me, jeans are like bras. I have to pay for what fits. I spent 4 hours Saturday going to 5 stores, looking for cheap jeans. No go. Finally I gave up Sunday and just went where I know I can find great jeans that fit. I still got them on sale but for 42.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,132Registered Users
    chupie wrote: »

I live in jeans. Just got a new pair this weekend. I don't know why I even try to go anywhere other than a western store. That's the only place that carries every size jean and some especially for curvy women. I highly endorse Wrangler "Mae" jeans. Highly.

That's a great idea Chupie! The only jeans that have seemed to fit me properly are mens jeans. Lately I haven't been able to find jeans made for hourglass and pear shaped women. I'm proportioned but petite and I hate when jeans emphasize the hips without being wide leg or boot cut because I look horrible in them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    Women who ride that I know are typically ALL shapes and sizes and western stores reflect that. You will not find stores with a bigger variety of sizes and shapes. Usually the people who work there are also very knowledgable and can really help.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I feel like such a goofball. I live in TX and didn't ever think to look for jeans at a western store! I will have to try that. I hope they have petites at the one near me.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
    Mine will shorten jeans over 100$ for free and under for 10.00.
    I like Chicos jeans, The so slimming line is not low rise, I too have an issue with low rise jeans or even jeans that are mid-rise. They are often on sale. REcently I discovered NYDJ jeans and I love them. They can be obtained fairly inexpensively at 6PM.com
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,132Registered Users
    chupie wrote: »
    Mine will shorten jeans over 100$ for free and under for 10.00.

Well if you're truly petite it isn't just the length, it's the proportions. You can be short but not br petite because your proportions are more the norm except the length.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    I'm thin, petite and curvy (have to deal with that gap in the back, ya know) - I like Loft's jeans quite a lot as the inseam is just about perfect for me. (I get them on sale.) Recently I found out that Old Navy has a cut that also fits me well (the Flirt model, IIRC), so now I have a really cheap option :toothy8: My only issue with Old Navy is that they don't commonly stock the shorter lengths (although they do have them).

I do miss those high waisted jeans from my high school day, though!!
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
    SpiralHam wrote: »
    I'm thin, petite and curvy (have to deal with that gap in the back, ya know) - I like Loft's jeans quite a lot as the inseam is just about perfect for me. (I get them on sale.) Recently I found out that Old Navy has a cut that also fits me well (the Flirt model, IIRC), so now I have a really cheap option :toothy8: My only issue with Old Navy is that they don't commonly stock the shorter lengths (although they do have them).

I do miss those high waisted jeans from my high school day, though!!

Then check out Christopher and Banks. I can't stand their jeans because they are so high waisted.
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    I found New York & Company's curvy fit jeans to fit very well. They're priced on the high side (I think they're in the $50-60 range), but the store does a fantastic pants sale every fall when the new styles come out, so I've never paid full price.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Posts: 400Registered Users
    Hey, ladies...

I found something that I absolutely love...jean leggings!!!

They fit perfect and hold at the same time.

Try them on and see if you like them; they look wonderful under tunic tops and long sweaters.

PS...I used to think those were for youngsters however I just tried them on one day. Come on, be adventurous...sneak in the dressing room and try on a pair, just between you and the mirror...LOL!
    My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
    3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
    Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
    Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
    Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
    Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
    Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
    Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque
  • FeedYourHeadFeedYourHead Posts: 236Registered Users
    NYDJ fan here--and I've usually bought mine at consignment shops or on eBay, so I haven't had to pay more than about $30-$40! I have a pair of boot-cut jeans in a dark wash, plus straight-leg jeans in teal blue and charcoal gray. (My current job requires me to dress up a bit, since I'm in a "front desk" position, and I can only wear jeans to work on Fridays.)
    Name: FeedYourHead's Hair

Description: 3A/3B/2C in the back, Botticelli, fine, thick, high porosity, CG since 2008

Likes: Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Co-Wash Conditioning Cleanser; Curls Coconut Curlada conditioner; L - Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea or Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing, O - coconut oil, C - Curls Creme Brule cream; FOTE AVG; honey; banana hair masks
    Dislikes: Silicones (:thumbdown:), Hairbrushes (:eek:) and harsh detergents (:protest:)

Leave a Comment