Confused on Color

NamelessElegyNamelessElegy Registered Users Posts: 40
I have very fine, dirty blonde hair naturally that is pretty dark but not quite brown. I hate the mousy color it is and so for most of my life I've dyed it. About 2 years ago the woman that does my hair at the salon I was going to suggested I try being a redhead for awhile and I never looked back. Having my hair salon colored has gotten to be too expensive for me as money is tight right now and I need a way to cover my roots and keep my hair from going back to my dreaded mousy natural color till I finish moving, get settled and find enough money in my budget for a trip to the salon. It may be several months so JUST touching up my roots and waiting isn't really what I'm looking to do... I need a more long-term color solution. That being said, I've never dyed my hair myself and I don't want to mess up the color or damage my hair trying.

I read something on here about henna being a safer way to color hair (at least in the sense that it isn't as damaging while being more commitment) but some reviews I read on-line made it sound like henna dyes beautifully but will not even color. One reviewer was quite upset that while she loved the color that it did not change how noticeable her roots were pre to post color. I've also seen that it is very noticeably different over highlighted hair.
My hair currently has a good inch or so of roots and some highlights and low lights. While the coppery red it was has faded into a lighter, more red mousy color over time and the roots aren't glaringly obvious they are still there.

I want my hair to end up being something like Jessica Chastin's. I LOVE Christina Hendrick's hair but I'm not sure how realistic that is for me to achieve at home and what it would be like to maintain that. Anyone have any ideas what I should do or where I should go look for answers? I'm pretty lost and confused on this whole hair color thing.
2a/3a (I think?), very fine, medium density, low porosity. Protein craving.
Low poo: Nature's Gate Biotin Strengthening Shampoo and L'Oreal's EverSleek Reparative Smoothing Shampoo (Occasionally)
Rinse out/Leave in: TRESemmé Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner
Stylers: EverSleek Sulfate-Free Smoothing System™ Humidity Defying Leave-In Crème (Occasionally), Fructis Style
Curl Scrunch Gel

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    You have a few options:
    1. Get you hair dyed as now but by a student at a cosmetology school

2. Use a permanent red box dye on your roots only. The front is fairly easy to do, the back you will benefit from help to begin with. These tend to be relatively weak so you are unlikely to fry your virgin roots. You will have a demarcation with old and new hair unless you 'pull the colour through' the lengths at the end of processing

3. Use a high pigment semi permanent colour. These are non damaging but won't take well on lower porosity virgin hair and may take too well on your processed lengths

4. Use body art quality henna. This is VERY permanent, expect to grow out or cut out anything you don't like or are bored with. You generally CANNOT bleach it out, tour hair will fry before the red lifts. This may need a couple of layers to build up a colour you are happy with. It can also loosen curl pattern and darkens with heat styling.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    Whatever you choose always run strand tests on shed plughole hair then on hidden head hair before proceeding. Ditto always do the skin patch tests.

Be aware chemical reds are notorious for fading, it is the nature of the beast. Henna generally does not if done right. I ended up switching from box dye red (permanent) to box dye blonde overlaid with a high pigment semi permanent red. Lasts way longer and way less damage but time consuming as is a two step process.

High and low lights inevitably mean some hair is double or even quadruple processed, so more damaged and more porous. This affects the result from any subsequent processing you do.

Do not use quick processing/ ten minute box dyes, these are stronger and you have way less working time. If you go the box dye route go for ammonia based products unless you have a sensitivity. Ammonia is a more reliable developer and stops processing after a time, so you can't so easily fry your hair leaving it too long if you are a slow worker. Ammonia free is temperature sensitive, so you can get way faster processing right by the warm scalp and slower processing even a centimetre away - that can mean uneven results for the inexperienced.

I've been dying my own dark mouse hair for almost twenty five years: first blonde and later red. I've had a few mistakes - bad choices of colour (should have strand tested), damage from 'refreshing' the lengths every time as per pack instructions (do roots only as often as possible). Honestly nothing that I couldn't have avoided by being more careful, box dyes really are pretty easy to use.

To reduce damage pre-treat with coconut oil and/ hydrolysed wheat or soy protein.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file