Big chopped and need help

kinkycoilymekinkycoilyme Registered Users Posts: 8
Hey all!!! I am new to naturally curly but have been lurking for some time. I did the big chop on Saturday 25 January 2014. Yay! However, I am having a lot of problems. My hair is dry, dry, dry. The curls at the back of my hair are really hard to define and rarely last. They only come out if I deep condition for a few hours or use warm to hottish water. I have been co washing and following the LOC method since June 2013. I currently use Vo5 tea therapy revitalizing conditioner and cantu shea butter leaving in conditioner and repair cream. My oil is olive oil and my sealant is shea butter. Also, can someone tell me my hair type. The first picture is with just the cantu conditioner. The second, third and fifth are wet with no product. The fourth is freshly washed, product free hair. As you can see from the pictures, there isn't much difference between product and no product dry hair. Please help! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    Buy a clarifying shampoo and use it.

Then use it once every 3-4 weeks as it sounds like you have product build up.

If you use products with lots of waxy ingredients and butters they can build up which means moisture can't penetrate your hair.

One issue with using the clarifying shampoo is that your hair may feel very dry afterwards so you may need to deep condition.

Also apart from coconut oil no deep conditioner needs to be on your hair for longer than 30 minutes otherwise you can suffer hydration fatigue. Ideally use coconut oil the night before co-washing.
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    Your natural hair may not like the same products as your relaxed hair did. My first question is did you look at the ingredients of your cleanser and make sure it is capable of removing the ingredients listed in your moisturizing and styling products. If not that was a mistake. Your leave in has non water soluble silicone and lanolin. I bought lanolin oil for my skin and it is so thinck I have to mix with another oil to spread. I 'm prone to buildup and wouldn't put anythinhg with lanolin in my hair. That cantu gave me major buildup btw.. I have used that Vo5 clarifying conditioner and while I like it it does not eliminate all together my need to shampoo and I'm CG. Buildup = dryness. You need to start researching what you put in your hair.

Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Glycine Soja Oil (Soybean), Propylene Glycol, Polyquaternium 37, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, PPG 1 Trideceth 6, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Stearalkonium Chloride, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Panthenol, PPG 1-PPG-9 Lauryl Glycol Ether, Lanolin Oil, Cinnamidopropyl Trimonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Acrylamidopropyltrimonium Chloride/Acrylamide Copolymer, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Benzophenone 3, BHA, BHT, Zea Mays Oil (Corn), Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, DMDM Hydantoin, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance
    Ingredient Attributes: moisture, detangling, frizz control, anti-humectant
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
    TEA THERAPY VANILLA MINT TEA CLARIFYING CONDITIONER

Ingredients: Water (Aqua, EAU), Cetyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Glyceryl Stearate, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Benzyl Alcohol, Coumarin, Polysorbate 20, Propylene Glycol, Stearyl Alcohol, Steareth-21, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Panthenol, Ascorbic Acid, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Niacinamide, Biotin
  • kinkycoilymekinkycoilyme Registered Users Posts: 8
    Thanks so much for the replies. Unfortunately, coconut oil makes my hair hard but I will try to shampoo my hair. I will also try a different leave in conditioner. Thank you so much!!!
    If you do a search you can find a list of silicones and what it takes to remove them. If you love your Cantu you can still use it if you use the right cleanser so you don't get buildup.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file