my current 2c/3A haircare routine

foxy_princessfoxy_princess Posts: 5Registered Users
Im trying to nurse my hair back to good health as it is currently very thin and dry/damaged. here is my current haircare routine. I wash my hair once a week or every 5-6 days to ensure that it soaks up as much natural oils as possible. I use a boar bristle to brush my hair to distribute the oils.
I then do a 1x hot oil treatment before I wash my hair. I mix 1 x Tablespoon of heated coconut oil with 5 drops of peppermint essential oil. I then massage this mixture vigorously into my scalp and tie it in a scarf or a bun and wait a few hours before washing, sometimes i leave it in my hair overnight.

Shampoo: Conceived by Nature balancing lavender shampoo (no sulfates)
Conditioner: Conceived by Nature balancing lavender conditioner

Masque (Need a good deep nourishing mask, suggestions would be great)

Post wash I apply either Urban Therapy curl activating cream, or I just apply a few drops of virgin argan oil to my ends, avoiding roots.:cyclopsani:

I eat a regular diet, eat fruit and veg when I can or when it's convenient for me. I avoid supplements as I've had bad experiences with them in the past

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,328Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    one thing that struck me is that you should be either washing, cowashing or water rinsing your hair more often. hair needs moisture, water. oil is not moisture, it just helps to lock in moisture. we need to put the moisture in.

i am not familiar with your products so i can't comment on them. i am sure others will add suggestions.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • foxy_princessfoxy_princess Posts: 5Registered Users
    rbb wrote: »
    one thing that struck me is that you should be either washing, cowashing or water rinsing your hair more often. hair needs moisture, water. oil is not moisture, it just helps to lock in moisture. we need to put the moisture in.

i am not familiar with your products so i can't comment on them. i am sure others will add suggestions.

oh wow i had no idea. so even if i wet it with water thats adding moisture? never heard of that before. i thought water was drying to hair...
  • Mouseuno413Mouseuno413 Posts: 11Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rbb wrote: »

oh wow i had no idea. so even if i wet it with water thats adding moisture? never heard of that before. i thought water was drying to hair...

Water isn't dehydrating to hair, but it is commonly used with soap, which strips hair of the natural oils. You need to wash your hair more often to keep it clean. Remember, it is possible to over condition!
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Water IS moisture, are you confusing moisturising (adding or increasing water) with conditioning/ emollience? That is generally what damaged and curly hair requires.

Water may moisturise or hydrate hair but that is not a good thing for porous or damaged hair, it can further stress the cuticle and flush out structural lipids and proteins (hygral fatigue).

I do agree oil is not moisture, in fact penetrating oils like coconut actually reduce the amount if water hair can hold. That is a good thing, its proven to reduce structural protein loss (part of aforementioned hygral fatigue).

Not sure why you are using the coconut oil on your scalp rather than your older more damaged ends? The published research is overnight to twenty four hours so try to extend your treatments.

Other ingredients proven beneficial in damaged hair include hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. Do be aware you cannot pernanently repair hair nor make it healthier: hair is dead so all you do is temporary patching and protecting.

If by "regular diet" you mean the average US one that needs fixing because its likely nutrient deficient. Healthy hair comes from healthy scalp and the skin is your largest organ not an inert wrapping. It's not difficult to eat nutritiously: purchase easy foods like canned oily fish, canned beans or lentils, canned tomatoes, frozen berries, frozen veggies, plain natural dairy, eggs, nuts, seeds, unsweetened dried tree fruits.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • foxy_princessfoxy_princess Posts: 5Registered Users
    yeahh i apply a the treatment on the ends too and brush it through. thanks for your help! i eat quite a lot of protein such as eggs, lentils, beans and from time to time ill have fish several times a month:mrgreen: oh and i love dairy food i always have 2 portions a day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file