Hair Loss at the Root

jackdanielsjackdaniels Posts: 3Registered Users
So I have heard that hair falling out at the root means you may have a health problem? I have long hair that has always fallen out at the root, with a white bulb at the end. Am I dying? What does it mean?

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Some hair falling out at the root is normal, hairs don't grow indefinitely they are replaced. Excessive hairs shedding at the roots/ not normal for you/ associated with thinning needs investigating by your family doctor or dermatologist.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So I have heard that hair falling out at the root means you may have a health problem? I have long hair that has always fallen out at the root, with a white bulb at the end. Am I dying? What does it mean?

You want hair to have the white bulb at the end as this means healthy shedding - hair sheds about 100 hairs every day! If you don't have the white bulb it most likely means you hair broke, instead of shed, which means it is probably damaged. So shedding = good and breakage = nicht gut.

I'd only start worrying if your hair is getting really thin and you notice bald patches, then you may have a health issue. Otherwise your hair is just doing the same thing everyone else's is :)
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list