Clarifying vs Chelating? So confused!

I see these term used used a lot on here, sometimes interchangeably. Are the the same thing? If not, what is the difference? Why should someone do one vs the other? And how often? I don't use silicones, but I do have hard water. The only other things in my products that I believe can build up are cetyl esters and shea butter. So between that and the hard water should I use a clarifying or chelating product? How would I know if I have build up? Thanks!
2a/b, med/high porosity, high density, fine texture

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    They are not the same.

Chelating = removing deposits from hard water and chlorinated pools. Most chelating products will also clarify. Clarifying ingredients are mostly acids: acetic (vinegar), citric (citrus fruits), ascorbic acid (vitamin C), EDTA. These need to be present in high enough concentrations to chelate and you will usually see two or three.

Clarifying = removing build up from products. Ingredients that can build up include many silicones, some polyquats, waxes, butters, hydrolysed protein. To clarify you need a non conditioning/ clear type shampoo rich in sulphates, an olefin sulfonate or cocoamidopropyl betaine.

You would suspect you have build up if your hair starts feeling 'wrong' or behaving badly. Might be limp, greasy, tangly, dry, rough, frizzy, refuse to curl ... Depends on the particular substance that is building up. If you have very hard water you would be wise to chelate regularly.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • Wavygirl1Wavygirl1 Registered Users Posts: 165
    They are not the same.

Chelating = removing deposits from hard water and chlorinated pools. Most chelating products will also clarify. Clarifying ingredients are mostly acids: acetic (vinegar), citric (citrus fruits), ascorbic acid (vitamin C), EDTA. These need to be present in high enough concentrations to chelate and you will usually see two or three.

Clarifying = removing build up from products. Ingredients that can build up include many silicones, some polyquats, waxes, butters, hydrolysed protein. To clarify you need a non conditioning/ clear type shampoo rich in sulphates, an olefin sulfonate or cocoamidopropyl betaine.

You would suspect you have build up if your hair starts feeling 'wrong' or behaving badly. Might be limp, greasy, tangly, dry, rough, frizzy, refuse to curl ... Depends on the particular substance that is building up. If you have very hard water you would be wise to chelate regularly.
    So can I chelate with a vinegar rinse (I have never tried that before) or do I need to buy a chelating shampoo? Also, should I follow up with deep conditioning?
    2a/b, med/high porosity, high density, fine texture
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    If you have hard water I would get a dedicated product. As I said that would usually contain two or three chelating agents in the right concentration. Otherwise research a DIY recipe, there might be a trustworthy one on the Sciencey Hairblog.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • caramix3acaramix3a Registered Users Posts: 462 Curl Neophyte
    Please recommend some products that actually do chelate. Preferably less-expensive, easy to get ones, NOT ones that have to be ordered online if at all possible.
    For clarifying once a month(usually before coloring) I use Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo. Of course, I do follow that up with a PT and DT. Thanks!
  • gc0461gc0461 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
    Try Innersense Detox mask for clarifying or Innersense Scalp scrub for chelating multipurpose it can be clarifying and be used as a body and face scrub (just be careful not to get in eyes), and foot scub!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file