new hair color goals

Brenna84Brenna84 Registered Users Posts: 55
pretty soon i'm gonna get my hair permed, probably a spiral perm

anyways

in a couple of months I'm thinking of dying my hair with manic panic vampire red and purple haze.

thing is I had my hair dyed black and high lighted red. then I put henna on it. did nothing to my hair except the highligted parts.

so pissed.

i very much want red hair. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. not sure what to do. right now i'm very much wanting to experiment with my hair.

and also - having a horrible time with bleeding, even with the henna

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    What henna did you use, body art quality? I never heard of it bleeding, only being poorly rinsed and changing colour (darkening with time and high heat).

Permed hair plus permanently dyed hair is likely to to equal high porosity/ badly damaged/ possibly fried hair. Especially once your roots come in badly and you have to perm over perm.

Permanent red is notorious for bleeding and fading, semi permanent can stick really well if hair is in decent condition and is cared for properly.

Can you even get the black out to go red? Some blacks stain the cuticle so need to be cut out, some go sludgy green. You may well lose a ton of colour if you have a perm since these are generally highly alkaline.

Are you running strand tests ever time or just slapping one thing on top of another and hoping for the best? Those that experiment without destroying their hair do so scientifically and logically (consider the order and number if chemical processes).
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    Rereading did you expect the henna to change your hair from black to red? If so that was never going to happen, the best you'd get with BAQ henna applied correctly and left long enough is an auburn glow in sunlight.

To get red you will have to use a peroxide free colour remover (Color Oops, Colour B4 Extra) to lift the black - probably several times over several weeks. This can alter henna for some people, results are unpredictable. Really if you want to experiment you should have stuck with one type of perm and one type of chemical dye and not made your life difficult with oh so permanent henna.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
  • caramix3acaramix3a Registered Users Posts: 462 Curl Neophyte
    Agreeing with Firefox7275 here. Also, permanent black hair color is THE hardest to lift out of the hair. The risk of damage is great, even with professional color correction, which might take several visits to get one's hair sort of where one wants it. Do NOT try this yourself. Short of that, I'd say you might have to wait this out since you've already done 3 different things. The only thing I can suggest is cutting your hair shorter for awhile to get rid of at least SOME of the multi-processed hair, and conditioning like crazy. DTs and PTs, - PTs especially since hair is so damaged from multiple processes. Best of luck - I know it's hard really wanting something for one's hair and having to wait instead!
    A stylist doing colour correction will often use persulphate bleach (albeit with professional skill) to lift all the dye out. Agree do not do this yourself unless very experienced.

However you can do a *peroxide free* colour remover yourself, you can't wreck your hair with this you are only revealing the underlying colour NOT changing it. ALWAYS run strand tests because you can end up with a two tone or three tone effect that needs professional colour correction to finish off.

IF it works this route is gentler than a pro doing everything. Ive done it myself to get from dark burgundy to strawberry blonde then finally bright pink-red.

BUT as we've said black may never fully lift out - hence advising to strand test before you end up needing a pixie.

• Brenna84Brenna84 Registered Users Posts: 55
    thank you all. okay, I'll be putting my burgundy hopes on my wish list then.

yes I thought the henna would make my hair black. it said it worked on dyed hair. It was called henna moon or henna harvest. it made my highlights really red. then they went back to being orange, haha

However, the henna DID condition my hair and it feels much much stronger for it.

i think i added to much also.

I am getting my curly perm next month. Ihave been deep conditioning. I plan on deep conditioning 2x a week up until a month after my treat ment, and then 1x a week.

maybe 6 months in the future I'll see about lifting my hair dye if I can. then maybe in the future see about some manic panic vampire red and violet night.
    But was it pure body art quality henna? If not you need to be INCREDIBLY careful dying over it. If you thought it would go black I would be very concerned you used a product containing indigo - that can go greeny if peroxide or bleach hits it (even dark box dyes contain peroxide).

Why are you deep conditioning, what ingredients does the product contain that you think will protect your hair in any way? Don't confuse aesthetic feel with hair health.

it was red henna. it colored my highlights and my grey hair. though the highlights only got colored temporarily. and it quit being red once the hair quit bleeding. except for the grey. my grey hair still amazingly red. love it.

i have always heard that henna is a great conditioner for your hair and it felt stronger afterwards.

i got my henna from 1 step henna that is ready in minutes.

I think I'll just get something to get lift the color out of my hair. not sure.
  • Jamieleigh93Jamieleigh93 Registered Users Posts: 56
    Do NOT do it. I dyed my hair and relaxed a few days later and it was breaking off really badly. I've been experiencing with doing stuff to my hair since I was about 14 which is about 6 years ( took a years break when I went completely natural) and now I'm paying f the price; extremely damaged hair. I've had to cut 7 inches off and I've got ginger roots and brown hair as a result of HAVING to go natural. Don't ruin your hair, there's no point as you will have to go through this horrible period of trying to sort it out and wait a loooong (well what feels like a long time) time for it start growing!!
    well i didn't get a perm. but my grey is coming back in again. I need to do something. Just not sure what I should do now

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file