Do any of you 3's use the rake and shake method?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,155Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I had a haircut and they styled using rake and shake and I loved the result. I haven't had a chance to try it since then because the weather is bitterly cold and windy and when it is like that I do a roller set because I don't have to wet my hair each day, but when the weather is better I want to try the rake and shake again.

Do any of you 3a's do it and do you like it better than just scrunching? I haven't had much luck with scrunching - I get one great hair day and 9 horrible ones - very inconsistent. I'm hoping I can get more consistency with the rake and shake method.

Please chime in if you use this method - any tips much appreciated!
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I do the rake, shake and scrunch method lol. I rake my product through, shake, then I scrunch :) it's what I've always done and it works great for me!

When you say you haven't had much luck with scrunching, do you mean scrunching the products straight into your hair and not raking them in first?
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,155Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi BB, yes, that's exactly what I mean, and my main complaint is that my hair always looks messy. I just scrunched without any raking (or shaking). When they did my hair at the salon it looked so much better! I can't wait until I can try it again.

Thanks for chiming in! You reminded me that after the salon raked/shaked, they did scrunch gently with a towel which took out extra moisture and helped form the curls. I always just thought I had a lousy and weak curl pattern, but now I'm hopeful! When the weather is warmer I will try rake and shake and may go back to a much more cg routine also.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have to admit, I had no idea about this so I had to google it. I needed to re-dampen and refresh my hair this morning so I tried it! So far I'm liking the results b/c it seems like it's giving my 3C/4A curls a little (tiny) bit more hang time at least now while it is getting less damp in most places. I didn't scrunch all areas after shaking though- I wanted to see if it would make a difference.
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ohh I couldn't imagine just scrunching the products straight in. I'd imagine that to make hair look a bit 'matted'? Especially scrunching in a gel or styler. Raking first is definitely the way to go, for me at least, and then scrunching after to encourage clumping and curl formation.

Plus raking first makes sure you get the product in all of your hair and it's evenly distributed :D
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    As long as you have plenty of water scrunch'n'pump alone does not make hair look matted and it can distribute and clump nicely. If you have super thick low water products yes you may well struggle with distribution.

I'm not a 3 but I graze my products over with my palms section by section before scrunching to spread and mix.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've never tried this method (just googled it). I might have to try it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• greencup13greencup13 Posts: 596Registered Users
    I'm a rake, shake, and scrunch-Er. I cannot just scrunch product into my hair. I have very thick hair and would never get it distributed through.
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Combo Low and High porosity
    Medium coarse texture

Goosefootprints hair analysis
    Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Style- la looks sport gel
  • lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I loved how I got a mini detangle session! Plus with the way I had my fingers curved it was easier to catch the hairs. I can't wait to try it on a wash day now!

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
    My hair isn't super thick (it was thicker, of course when I was younger!) but the s & r method seemed to make my curls more formed and even.

Thanks everyone for your comments! :notworthy: Can't wait to try it again. Wish the weather would cooperate - we are having minus zero wind chills in the Big Apple.
  • JuliaRoseJuliaRose Posts: 68Registered Users
    Oh, I just tried this this morning because I didn't feel like just scrunching in product was distributing it enough.

I like it, but do you find you need a bit more product?

My hair needs to dry with some gel crunch (that I scrunch out) to keep the frizz down and help clumping and I didn't have that. I'm going to work on it. :)
    Cowash: CJ Daily Fix
    RO: Sweet Curls Elixirs Conditioning Elixir
    Styler: SCE Flax Seed Gel and Hard Hold Gel
    We have another week of sub-zero temps and freezing wind chills so I can't try it until after that. Can't wait. At the salon they used mousse but I think it would work well with gel in high dews.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in! I can't believe I may finally have found a method that works (hope, hope, hope). :laughing5:
  • MeeBeeMeeBee Posts: 128Registered Users
    I don't prefer the scrunch method either. It works alright but I feel it doesn't get the product distributed well enough, even if I smooth it onto the canopy first. I get patches under and in some areas without product so it looks inconsistent. The amount of raking in the rake and shake method would probably be too much and just plain unnecessary for me since I have short, fine and easily detangled hair. But I do rake my products in first an and then scrunch. At first I thought raking would make my curls flat but I've since learned better :thumbleft:
    2C/3A, high porosity, low density, fine-medium

Low Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Mop Top Gentle Shampoo
    Clarify: Suave Naturals Daily Clarifying, KCCC
    RO/CoWash: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
    LI: KCKT
    Stylers: AG re:coil, AG Beach Bomb, Mop Top Light Hold Anti-Frizz Gel, LA Looks Xtreme Sport
    PT: Curl Junkie Repair Me, IAgirl's gelatin treatment (awesome!)

Hair LOVES proteins!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file