Transitions

chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
Well, here is one way. 200 highlights and low lights!!!!!

Going gray: Stylists help women make the transition to a new look - Toledo Blade

Wow. It looks good though.
2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com

Comments

• RustinaRustina Registered Users Posts: 894 Curl Neophyte
    I gotta say, that lady just looks blonde to me. It looks better on her than the red hair did, but it sure doesn't look like there's much, if any, gray in her hair.
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    Yeah, I thought it looked pretty blond too. However, it will make growing out easier I think. I can understand that.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    It's gotta make the transition smoother, for sure, I would think. I wonder, though, will those highlights and lowlights change over time? Oxidize? Either way, it looks so much better than the dark color she started with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

But, but - if she keeps adding all that blonde color, how will the gray ever grow out? I guess I don't see how this process helps. Unless the colorist colors fewer and fewer strands each time? I feel like a dunce! :-)
    Northern VA
    Dye-free since 11/2010

I just assumed that it was a one-time thing.... But I dunno. And if she still has any naturally-dark hair that grows in along with the gray, she'll have an interesting assortment of colors on her head!
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I thin it's to make the skunk stripe stage less noticeable?
  • MyrnaMyrna Registered Users Posts: 2,472 Curl Connoisseur
    First of all, her dyed hair looked horrible. She was probably doing it herself, and it was the wrong color, and "flat", ie no variations in color. Second, she also got a much more flattering cut. Third, it looks to me that her hair was bleached A LOT. I did not want to do that to my hair, nor is blond a color I want. It is much more difficult to go gray if you are brunette or a redhead, that is a fact. She happens to look good blond. I dont.
  • chloe92uschloe92us Registered Users Posts: 1,203 Curl Neophyte
    Rustina wrote: »
    But, but - if she keeps adding all that blonde color, how will the gray ever grow out? I guess I don't see how this process helps. Unless the colorist colors fewer and fewer strands each time? I feel like a dunce! :-)

I'm confused too, lol. While it definitely looks better than it did, I think you would have to go back constantly to get it toned and highlighted, and then all that damage!!!! It seems like it would prolong the transition.

I honestly don't think there's an easy way to do it. I guess you could gradually start dyeing it lighter and lighter and then transition....but the oxidation is the pits! My ends are orange!
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
  • WeathercurlWeathercurl Registered Users Posts: 228
    I can see how it would work. If you aren't in a rush to go all gray immediately you could gradually taper off on the highlights and keep trimming the ends. Her hair is layered and fairly short so it won't take too long if she cuts it regularly. It's a good strategy with shorter hair, I think.
    2b/2c ( weather permitting - 3a), fine texture but lots of it, colored and highlights, BSL.
    Experimenting w CG since Oct 2012

Current rotation:
    cowash= TN
    AG Gel Mousse, LA Gel,
    DT = Coconut oil (love)
    In the meantime, she has had her hair bleached almost white. I wonder how happy she is going to be when her hair starts to frizz, fry and fall out.
    Hey, if it makes her feel better about transitioning, more power to her! I don't imagine that it's very easy, whatever route you take. For me, since my hair is on the lighter side to begin with, I think I'm going to stop the highlights and cut my hair. I'm scheduled for a haircut next week. Right now my hair is BSL. I think I'll have it brought up to shoulder length (about where it is in my signature pic). As the highlights grow out more (they were last done in Nov 2013) I'll just keep cutting the ends. I've worn hair pixie short in the past and enjoyed that look, so that's an option. I do hate growing it back out, though, so I'd prefer to just cut to a bob if I can get away with it. We'll see. Fortunately my hair is relatively healthy and grows quickly. Wish me luck!!

• WavyMaurWavyMaur Registered Users Posts: 46 Curl Neophyte
    Well i've already lost sleep over thinking about this transition, but then I'm a natural worrier anyway, maybe that's why I'm so gray?
    anyway, on a shopping trip yesterday I bought a really cool black hat to wear to cover the skunk stripe, which has already started...
    been looking at lots of pics of gals in transition and I just don't know if I can handle the 2 tone look, I have red hair and will be white growing in, not very attractive. My hair is not long enough to pull back the way I've read a lot of woman do to help with the transition. I have a deva cut scheduled next week, might be talking about a shorter cut. Right now mine is between chin length and collar length depending on the curl.
    But It's taken me over a year to grow it this long, just hate to cut it now that I'm finally getting curly. See why I'm not sleeping, lol
    What's everyone else thinking?
    2C * Normal Porosity * Medium Density * Chin Length

Still playing with products ( using mostly Deva right now)

Working on finding my inner curl.
    Maybe this'll help someone, maybe it won't. Or maybe it'll help someone decide to keep coloring, lol! I'm posting a series of pics that show my transition start to finish.

A couple of months in. You can see a thin stripe of light reddish brown between the white and the dark - that was where I had tried one of those "washes out in 3 weeks!" box colors that actually did no such thing. That light brown stripe pissed me off and convinced me to just go cold turkey.
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1390597586.599863.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1390597597.235996.jpg

About 4 months in. I wore my hair pulled back on the top like this a LOT.
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1390597727.949813.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1390597744.016880.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1390597778.118383.jpg

Continued below...
    Northern VA
    Dye-free since 11/2010

So is it true you go through a stage where you look quite bald :sad5: ?
    And yesterday morning, 3 years and 2 months after making the decision to grow it out.
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1390597946.413576.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1390597960.897488.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1390597970.334491.jpg

Much of my gray is underneath, where you can't see it if my hair is down:
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1390597981.613203.jpg

But you can see it really well when my hair is pulled back.
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1390598105.630498.jpg

So there you go. Now, of course it was a little easier for me because I'm not all white yet - that us definitely going to be harder than if there's less that Hal gray, like me. But really, it wasn't all that bad. And once I got past the 4-5 month part, it was a lot easier - the stripe wasn't really a stripe anymore.

Hope that helps. Maybe others would like to post transition photos, too? I know it helped me a lot to see the stories and photos on the old Going Gray, Looking a Great site.
    Northern VA
    Dye-free since 11/2010

And you know, I look back at those first photos and how dark my fake color was, and I just think my salt and pepper looks so much softer, suits me so much better. So I'm happy it's done, and I look forward to getting even more white hairs.
    Northern VA
    Dye-free since 11/2010

Thanks, Rustina, for uploading all of those photos - super helpful!! By the way, you look GREAT!!

Rustina wrote: »

Hope that helps. Maybe others would like to post transition photos, too? I know it helped me a lot to see the stories and photos on the old Going Gray, Looking a Great site.

Your hair is amazing! It does help a lot. I keep looking for transitions and not finding real detail like this.
  • WavyMaurWavyMaur Registered Users Posts: 46 Curl Neophyte
    thanks for all the photos, I KNOW I am totally white, this is my 2nd time doing it, so the transition for me is going to be really stark, Last time I had a pixie cut and she dyed my hair blond, a few haircuts and I was white, not going to be that easy a transition this time.
    2C * Normal Porosity * Medium Density * Chin Length

Still playing with products ( using mostly Deva right now)

Working on finding my inner curl.
    Yeah, WavyMaur, it will definitely be a different ball game for you. But still, once you get past 4-5 months, the hairs are growing so unevenly that there won't probably be a strict line anymore. And I found that using a zig zag part, and doing lots of partial pull backs with twists and such, helped disguise the line, too.
    Northern VA
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• wavypenwavypen Registered Users Posts: 253 Curl Neophyte
    I think for me the transition will be easy (except the psychological aspect) because I don't have that much grey yet and there's not a clear line between the dyed hair and the stuff that hasn't been dyed, because all I was really doing was dying my hair a warmer shade of brown at almost the same darkness level as the rest of not-yet-grey hair. I have a lot of grey at my temples and right now if my hair is pulled back it looks like I'm balding (although I'm also growing out bangs and can kinda use them to camouflage the temples), I'm hoping that will change and then I have random silver strands elsewhere, like along my part. My plan is to bob my hair as soon as it's grown long enough that a chin length bob will cut all the previously dyed hair off.
    And thanks for the nice compliments, Chupie and 2Poodles. :-)
    Northern VA
    Dye-free since 11/2010

This was in July, almost 3 months into my transition. I'll try to take pics this weekend to show what 7 months looks like. It's very hard to photograph!

9344641397_e9735c4a72_m.jpg
    9518118354_0dc533d1d2_m.jpg
    9515328803_33ff2803e6_m.jpg
    Yay, more pictures! Can't wait to see the 7-month pics. Your hair looks great!
    Northern VA
    Dye-free since 11/2010

Oh Chloe, I second that! you look very chic!
    chloe92us wrote: »
    This was in July, 3 months into my transition. I'll try to take pics this weekend to show what 7 months looks like. It's very hard to photograph!

9344641397_e9735c4a72_m.jpg
    9518118354_0dc533d1d2_m.jpg
    9515328803_33ff2803e6_m.jpg

Oh my gosh I love your spirals. Loooooooove. I mean, who is going to look at roots when you have those curls???
    chupie wrote: »

Oh my gosh I love your spirals. Loooooooove. I mean, who is going to look at roots when you have those curls???

Lol, thanks, but the front was finger twirled that day! Normally I don't do that. I have a funky cowlick in the front and I was experimenting with how to "do" it (I'm STILL trying to figure it out!!!).
    My hair won't twirl one bit.
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    i only had one photo of my transition, and lost it on computer. it was not an easy transition as i my natural hair was darkest brown/black, and that is what i dyed it. and the color coming in was 80% white, so you can imagine. i tried to describe it to my sister who lives out of state, so i said, 'imagine a black skirt and a white blouse.' she was lucky to have transitioned when her hair was a beautiful salt and pepper.

if the headbands did not work so well for me i probably would have gone with a really short cut. i did cut it shorter than normal after 5 months or so, but not as short as i might have gone without headbands.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file