Naked Black woman chair

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    IMG_3136nn-620x838.jpg

• curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    OMG!!!!!! Are they crazy?
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Good grief
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • wavydazewavydaze Registered Users Posts: 2,065 Curl Novice
    :confused2: Ughhhhhhhhhhh
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    I saw the photo Spidey posted and thought maybe it was a comment on the cult of white female domesticity being (in this case literally) supported by the hypersexualization/degradation of Black women.

Then I read the article.
  • claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
    I hate every single version of these chairs.

I did not read the article.

ETA: Then I did read it.
    This is the only version of this I've ever seen. Don't tell me there are others. It's obscene and grotesque. I can't fathom it at all.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    It's the media: they do controversy on purpose, pathetic really.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    At least we now know "Celebutante" means the same thing in Russia that it means in America. Young, clueless, wealthy, and famous for having no talent or taste what so ever. Aka- Paris Hilton (you can't expect much).

Sharing this on MLK Day was a nice touch, too. In all fairness she may or may not have been aware of that. It is a possibility, and remains stupid either way.

Crazy how life like the mannequins are, though :-/
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I had to look at some of this Allen Jones guys work from the late 60's. I wanted to see if #1. He did any work on Kubrick's Clockwork Orange. The furniture reminds me of the Korova Milk Bar. Korova being Russian for cow, and yes the sculptures dispense milk. It looked right up that psychotic but visually stunning (and good. yes. i like it) films alley.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1390462680.228867.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1390462817.964466.jpg

Kubrick apparently contacted him but he turned him down because he wanted him to make the furniture for free. He should have. Wildly popular and will be studied in film classes for years to come, therefore good advertising.

I also wanted to see if the man did in fact make the furniture to "objectify women" or if it was a BDSM collection. The pieces they showed were wearing BDSM attire, to some degree and that is what the maker says they are. I know some women automatically assume the practice to be wrong, objectifying, and violence/abuse/rape regardless of the fact that it is erotica between consenting adults. Some even go so far as to yell domestic abuse/violence at movies, tv shows and actors that portray it. Not really my thing, but I have no problems with it what so ever. ETA: Honestly I, like several others, view it as a sexual orientation. I'm speaking of the lifestyle, not a couple occasionally role playing or doing a little light bondage, etc. Just as a person may be attracted to the same sex, some are attracted to specific activities during consensual sex.

That said, it's still tacky furniture imho.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    One more thing the link did not clarify... The specific artist that made this chair was Norwegian artist Bjarne Melgaard. He had done a separate collection some time ago that was inspired by and a tribute to Jones. All of his original pieces were of white women. The Norwegian artist added different ethnicities. Apparently he immediately issued a statement saying he had no idea or nothing to do with this particular picture and found it to be incredibly insensitive/questionable considering the day the magazine shared this photo.

I also read something else saying Jones work was sometimes a mix between fetish and views of women in society during the time he started making it. I think it mainly continued as fetish/sub culture pop art.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm not sure what the uproar is about. They aren't something I would personally decorate my house with but I don't find them upsetting or offensive. People can decorate as they choose.

Just as I was looking at this I was also reading Watch magazine and saw this full page Fendi ad. Not as fetish-like as the mannequins but still sexual in style. This photo I actually find beautiful.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    I'm not sure what the uproar is about. They aren't something I would personally decorate my house with but I don't find them upsetting or offensive. People can decorate as they choose.

Just as I was looking at this I was also reading Watch magazine and saw this full page Fendi ad. Not as fetish-like as the mannequins but still sexual in style. This photo I actually find beautiful.

Of a White woman publicly sitting on a hypersexualized caricature of a Black woman?

I don't think the chair by itself is automatically offensive. For all I know people in the BDSM community had complained about lack of representation in art work, or ... *Norway, from what I have heard, is not as prudish as the US when it comes to most things sexual. I remember coming across an article a year or two ago about Norwegians being asked to have safe sex at 7pm on a particular night. Everybody! As we know, Russia can be a different story* It's the woman's intent that I don't know about. She may be into BDSM, she might have found it beautiful, she was more than likely going for controversy because it sells more than talent, and she very well might have had a different motive all together.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Registered Users Posts: 1,862 Curl Neophyte
    The image doesn't bother me. But this I find to be ****ing sick and repulsive on every level of my being:

http://www.friatider.se/shocking-photos-shows-swedish-minister-of-culture-celebrating-with-niger-cake
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Registered Users Posts: 1,862 Curl Neophyte
    I should note that I got the link from the same article about the chair image
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:
    Insanity. I wouldn't waste vomit on that "culture minister". I give up - no words.
    The image doesn't bother me. But this I find to be ****ing sick and repulsive on every level of my being:

http://www.friatider.se/shocking-photos-shows-swedish-minister-of-culture-celebrating-with-niger-cake

I remember when that happened. I think there was a there a thread about it here. That was when I first started.

If you want to see something else that is mind blowing, watch The Gender War. It's a Swedish documentary from 2005. It is about shelters for abuse victims ran by Radical Feminists in Sweden. Some of the inhabitants of the shelter told horrific tales about the women who ran the shelters insisting they were being targeted by child molesting Satanists. They claimed the women running the shelters drugged them, took them to several different places, kept them terrified, would not allow them to get medical treatment when needed, etc. It is a highly strange story, and the Minister of Culture was involved with those shelters herself.

It's on YouTube, btw. The shelters are called ROKS. The same women who run them have heavy political ties. They... You'd just have to watch. Weird situation all the way around.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    Fifi.G wrote: »
    I don't think the chair by itself is automatically offensive. For all I know people in the BDSM community had complained about lack of representation in art work, or ... *Norway, from what I have heard, is not as prudish as the US when it comes to most things sexual. I remember coming across an article a year or two ago about Norwegians being asked to have safe sex at 7pm on a particular night. Everybody! As we know, Russia can be a different story* It's the woman's intent that I don't know about. She may be into BDSM, she might have found it beautiful, she was more than likely going for controversy because it sells more than talent, and she very well might have had a different motive all together.

Objects themselves aren't automatically offensive but what makes them art is due to the context.

Lots of photos are taken for historical records of the time regardless of whether they are offensive or not. And even if they are offensive they can be in themselves art work.

On this occassion the photo is offensive.

I don't think it's wonderfully shot so wouldn't consider it art work. It's an image I would have easily forgot except for it's context.

The chair though I woukd consider it an offensive object is a piece of art. The chair I remember. ( This topic has been put online for a few days before I posted.)

In Europe, and Norway is in Europe, there are a lot of photographers who can take pictures that are considered artwork.

In regards to prudishness - being able to talk matter of fact about sexual things doesn't mean you are or are not conservative. It just means you know other people do things you may not do or agree with, and you have no problem discussing the fact they do so without being extremely hostile towards it.

In this case and the other pictures in this thread, they are offensive as they depict life like statues of people as objects simply for the sexual gratification of the other person/people in the picture.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso

Of a White woman publicly sitting on a hypersexualized caricature of a Black woman?

So what exactly is the offensive part? The white woman? The black mannequin? The sex part? The white mannequins would have been ok? Or mannequins that weren't in fetish clothes or sexual in any way? Still don't find it repulsive or offensive.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    So what exactly is the offensive part? The white woman? The black mannequin? The sex part? The white mannequins would have been ok? Or mannequins that weren't in fetish clothes or sexual in any way? Still don't find it repulsive or offensive.
    The portrayal of black women as lascivious by nature is an enduring stereotype. [...] Historically, white women, as a category, were portrayed as models of self-respect, self-control, and modesty - even sexual purity, but black women were often portrayed as innately promiscuous, even predatory. [...]

The portrayal of black women as Jezebel whores began in slavery, extended through the Jim Crow period, and continues today. Although the Mammy caricature was the dominant popular cultural image of black women from slavery to the 1950s, the depiction of black women as Jezebels was common in American material culture. Everyday items - such as ashtrays, postcards, sheet music, fishing lures, drinking glasses, and so forth - depicted naked or scantily dressed black women, lacking modesty and sexual restraint. [...]
    These items are functional - in addition to promoting anti-black stereotypes, they also have practical utility.

I strongly recommend you read the full article, which is nsfw for photos of racist/sexualized caricatures.
    The question was about the photo and that's what I was commenting on.
    The question wasn't "Why was this seen as a good idea and please don't answer if you don't also see it in the same light that I do".
    So my answer to the question is still that I don't see it as a good or bad idea, and I don't find it insulting or offensive. There are BDSM couples where the dominant one is white and the submissive one is black. Or the dominant one is black and submissive one is white. Or both are black. Or both are yellow. Both are female, One is female and one is male. Etc. Etc.

I find it a sexual photo, not a racist photo. And I'm not offended by mannequins in sexual bondage. I'm not even offended by real live people in sexual bondage (as long as it's voluntary).
    Blueblood wrote: »
    Fifi.G wrote: »

Objects themselves aren't automatically offensive but what makes them art is due to the context.

Lots of photos are taken for historical records of the time regardless of whether they are offensive or not. And even if they are offensive they can be in themselves art work.

On this occassion the photo is offensive.

I don't think it's wonderfully shot so wouldn't consider it art work. It's an image I would have easily forgot except for it's context.

The chair though I woukd consider it an offensive object is a piece of art. The chair I remember. ( This topic has been put online for a few days before I posted.)

In Europe, and Norway is in Europe, there are a lot of photographers who can take pictures that are considered artwork.

In regards to prudishness - being able to talk matter of fact about sexual things doesn't mean you are or are not conservative. It just means you know other people do things you may not do or agree with, and you have no problem discussing the fact they do so without being extremely hostile towards it.

In this case and the other pictures in this thread, they are offensive as they depict life like statues of people as objects simply for the sexual gratification of the other person/people in the picture.

I don't think the picture of the woman sitting in the chair is art in the slightest. Thought I made that pretty clear. Just speaking of the chair itself and original tribute to the artist, which again I said was tacky furniture, imho, but I do understand it is part of the BDSM sub culture and I am not particularly offended by that, if it is someones choice. *BDSM has gone through some of the same motions as homosexuality, technically speaking. It used to be listed as a mental illness, some call it abuse, wrong, sinful, on and on. It has since been change in the DSM (no longer a mental illness and only a problem if it somehow deeply messes with a persons life and prohibits them from functioning) and people have been making efforts to have it seen as a sexual orientation of sorts. Just speaking of the chair in general, I can not say it is offensive to everyone... On it's own. I am sure there are some black women and men into BDSM, all over the world.* Still curious about the Russian Paris Hiltons intent ;) My opinion, just as you have yours. Not my thing but it doesn't bother me that people are into it. The original artist on this had nothing to do with this particular photo. Really two separate issues, but I wanted to look into the back story to see if this man flat out said, "I make this to objectify women" as the article implies or if that was the opinion of the author. And it is the opinion of the author.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Registered Users Posts: 1,583 Curl Neophyte
    I just think it is distasteful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

It's a racist caricature. And to pose with it, is a tacit endorsement.

^I disagree. Not much else I can expand upon.
    ^I disagree. Not much else I can expand upon.

You disagree that it's a racist caricature? Or that posing w/ it is an endorsement of it?

Regarding the first option, that it is a racist caricature...there is a plethora of historical evidence that it is. Many good books and articles written on this subject that show plenty of images, explain the origins, refer to legal actions involving the images, etc.

Regarding the second option, that posing w/ it is an endorsement...I'm curious what else the decision to pose w/ it in a magazine article coulde mean. The subject of the article didn't disavow it or give an alternate reason for posing w/ it.

^ I disagree with both statements. I don't think it's a racist caricature so I of course don't think posing with it endorses racism. Again, I see it as a BDSM chair. The photo looks like a slightly X rated IKEA ad.
    ^ I disagree with both statements. I don't think it's a racist caricature so I of course don't think posing with it endorses racism. Again, I see it as a BDSM chair. The photo looks like a slightly X rated IKEA ad.

Interesting...

I guess this could be an ad for a dental office? :shaking:

menufront_250.jpg

You can't remove the cultural contexts of things, no matter how innocent your intention is.

• scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
    ^^ take out the BDSM, because that's not the first thing I see, but its a person sitting on another person. A person using a person as an object. That was the part that was offensive. Race adds another layer/level of offense

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file