Anybody Notice A Shedding Season

CurlyInParadiseCurlyInParadise Posts: 137Registered Users
I am 67 yo and have noticed that my hair is getting thinner and thinner. Typical story of getting older I guess. But one thing I have noticed for about the last five years is that I shed much hair in the warmer months then as it gets colder I hardly shed at all even as I shampoo. Course I dont see any short hairs indicating it is coming back in during the cooler months hence I am just getting thinner and thinner. I have also noticed if I cut it very short the shedding also slows, I just dont like to do that.

Just wondered if anyone else noticed a season? And I live in the South so cold is relative.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]______
3a, med porous, low density
Poo: Have to admit I have recently become a Wen convert. Love it. I have always had problems with my hair "hanging" right, curling uniformly and destorting the perimeter line. Wen makes it hang evenly.

Comments

• ButterCurlButterCurl Posts: 34Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi CIP,

Yes, I've noticed that I'm losing more now that it's hot than I did last winter. I've always noticed that I shed a lot, so I always kept my hair really short to avoid panicking about it. Now that it's long, I'm aware of shedding more in hot weather.

That does keep down the panic a bit.
  • CurlyInParadiseCurlyInParadise Posts: 137Registered Users
    Wow, I posted that a long time ago, thanks for responding. Since its July now, I am in the full blown midst of shedding season. I know I could stop it immediately with a really short haircut but Not willing to do that. I have stopped worrying about it tho because as I grow in my natural hair (albeit white) it is thicker. I am trimming off the dyed ends a very little at a time. FWIW, avi pic is a couple of months old.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]______
    3a, med porous, low density
    Poo: Have to admit I have recently become a Wen convert. Love it. I have always had problems with my hair "hanging" right, curling uniformly and destorting the perimeter line. Wen makes it hang evenly.
  • NubianPrizeNubianPrize Posts: 123Registered Users
    I seem to notice more shedding in the fall. My hair always grew more in summer. I too a dealing with thinning hair from job stress .. And getting older....before I retired in 2013 & got myself a Hairmax laser comb in December 2013. It's helped a lot with my nape & temples. I had seen a derm & got steroid cream & shots in nape . Hair started growing in , then fell out in fall 2013. That's when I got the Hairmax .
    Hair type 4 "mystery":dontknow:
    Fine,soft hair with little penspring curls of different sizes. Small patch of wavy hair at center of my nape. Did BC in 2009 after 28yrs of curly perms.
    Products:WEN Fig, KinkyCurly, QhemetBiologics, SheaMoisture, Vatika oil, EVCO, EVOO, WGO, JBCO products
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    The last 5 years or so I've had some major sheds, usually from Jan - Mar. My hair doesn't like winter at all but come spring and warmer humid air, it seems to come back to life.
    I do have much less hair than I used to tho.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file