Relaxer horror stories

Out of morbid curiosity, I've been reading reviews of relaxers on Amazon.

Lord have mercy..

Dark & Lovely Relaxer with Moisture Seal Plus Shea Butter Kit, Super
I found this at dollar general for about $5, so i dont know why these people trying to sell it for 8.99! Lol. anyways. everything in this kit smells awesome. Thats the only good thing about this, oh well, and the price. I have very coarse hair so I used Super. It burned the **** out of my scalp, it worked so fast, it was burning before I had even finished applying it to the rest of my head. The burning was excruciating. AND it did NOT even straighten my new growth. I washed it repeatedly and conditioned it for hours after I washed it out. Even while my hair was wet my new growth was hard and stiff and had no movement even as I tried to work the shampoo and conditioner through out my hair and scalp with my fingers. So after I blow dried it, my new growth was super crispy and hard and feels like it is coated with tile lime or tarter from your teeth. It is so hard and crunchy that i could not comb through it and would not with fear that it would break my hair off. So with an extremely tender chemically burned scalp I gently parted and oiled my scalp, that was soothing. Hopefully the hardness wears off. the rest of my hair is dull and ashy looking. I am extremely, extremely disappointed and regret using this crap. I should have just got what I intended to buy which was the Olive Oil relaxer which cost 8 bucks. I would not under ANY circumstances recommend this product to anyone. The glossy conditioner is very thin and didnt moisturize my hair and I didnt like the cream stuff they had in there. Shea butter my ass, this stuff does not moisturize worth a ****.
Softsheen Carson Optimum Amla Legend Relaxer Kit
My aunt used this product for the first time and she immediately complained of burning so she washed it out without smoothing. Her hair was falling out as she neutralized. I immediately stepped in the to help her. Used all the neutralizer included in the box and more of what we had already. Applied egg and later deep conditioned minutes later to stop it. No luck. she has three quarter size bad spots in the back and crown area of her head! Her long hair is destroyed. It's been several months since she relaxed prior to using this product and there were no other chemicals!!! DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT. She does not have a sensitive scalp and she don't scratch so there's no reason this relaxer should have burned as it did so quickly!!! After relaxing own hair over 20 years between visits to the salon this has never happen!!! I do no recommend this product!!!! Stick to what you know. Any relaxer that's for all hair types is not a safe relaxer I learned!

Signed,
A ziplock full of hair
A little background: I'm 30 years old, with medium to fine high-density hair. I've been relaxing my own hair since I was 19, and prior to that, my mother did my relaxers. Always relaxed my hair once every 3-4 months because I could always manage my new growth. I've never had any issues with breakage/falling out, anything at all after relaxing my hair.

Until now.

Note above that I said I had some high-density hair. So even though my hair is medium to fine, I had a heck of a lot of hair (think Chaka Khan, seriously). After using the ENTIRE bottle of neutralizer, when I went to detangle after conditioning, my hair started coming out in chunks. Just, chunks of hair coming out. It's a week later, and my hair is still coming out. And I'm not talking about breakage, I'm talking about the entire strand is coming out from the root (and I have armpit length hair). So now, I'm taking every step I can to preserve the length and get my density back since I now have extremely thinned out hair...

Bottom line: Don't buy this relaxer. It's just not worth the risk.
Don't use it! My 26 year old daughter is upstairs crying her eyes out because her hair is gone. And I (her mother) relaxed it for her . We followed directions she has been relaxing for years . We did not leave it on too long. She now has no hair on the sides or back of her head. Even with the scalp protector and vaseline around her edges No Hair and her scalp is burned badly I did notice a lot of hair loss during rinsing but never imagined this. Stay away from this product I didn't know how to do no stars so I did one but for us it's a big fat 0 stars.
Grandma Bembry
Mizani Butter Blend Sensitive Scalp Rhelaxer Single Application Big Sale! (Health and Beauty)

I had to rinse it out before it was time because It burned my daughter's head. I used the Mizani neutralizing shampoo to get it out but still her hair broke off in many places and we had to get it cut real short to hide the damage. Poor thing! A 13 year old should not have to go to school looking like a boy.
PhytoSpecific 100% Beauty Phytorelaxer Index 2 (Health and Beauty)
I used this product again, only to have it RUIN MY HAIR!!! Parts of my hair look burned to a crisp and even when dry I can't get a comb through it at all, if I try to work the comb through I pull out lots of soggy breaking-off hairs! It's extremely odd because I followed directions, and some areas of my head are perfectly healthy looking and smooth and soft, while the majority of it (all on the ends and the entire back of my head) is completely ruined. And just when I was growing my hair long and lovely! :'-(

What the hell did Phyto do to this formula, did they change it?? I'm definitely going to complain!! Seriously I'm going to cry!

Edit 4/7: It's a few days later and all the hair on my end is as dry as a desert. I think this product sent to me from Amazon was expired or defective. I am probably going to have to get half my hair cut off. I also had forgotten to mention that this stuff BURNED me very bad whereever it got on my skin. So bad that I had to use a burn gel!
If you would like to go GI Jane, than this is the product for you. I used this as directed, left it on for less time, had NO burning or tingling sensation while it was on...and when I rinsed it out, my hair came out it melted clumps. I have had to take a #1 razor to my head. It burnt patches all the way to the root so to make it worse when it started to grow a bit, I am going to have to shave it again. An absolute horror. I am terrified to leave the house, not to mention that in the hot Florida sun I now have to sunscreen my head.
Just For Me Texture Softener (Kitchen) yes i followed directions. i very foolishly thought this product will loosen my then 5 year old daughter's coily hair. i certainly did not expect it to become straight. i was then left with caring for straight hair and was advised to continue use. i tried my best but two years down the road her hair is damage and breaking off. so now we are transitioning and i am being more thorough with hair hair and doing research. will never recommended or reuse this product!

Comments

• DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Registered Users Posts: 1,583 Curl Neophyte
    Yikes!!!!

I've tried relaxers before (as a child). They would always burn my scalp and do nothing for my hair except damage it. My hair wouldn't straighten either. It would become wavy if anything, so I was stuck in a weird medium between wavy and somewhat curly. It was horrible!

My mom was finally fed up with the boxed relaxers and took me to get a professional one done at a salon. Oh boy....three hundred dollars, three hours and a burnt scalp/face later, and my hair was finally straight. However, it was supposed to last 6 months and only lasted about a week. My mom was furious and I was depressed. I vowed then, never again!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• mustangbunnymustangbunny Registered Users Posts: 1,033
    Reading these reviews made me tear up. How AWFUL. I can't imagine how it would feel for your hair to just fall out like that. And I can't believe these products that burn people's SKIN and SCALP are available for purchase just anywhere. And it sounds like even going to a professional to get a relaxer can be a crapshoot.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• ZeldahimeZeldahime Registered Users Posts: 223
    Reading these reviews made me tear up. How AWFUL. I can't imagine how it would feel for your hair to just fall out like that. And I can't believe these products that burn people's SKIN and SCALP are available for purchase just anywhere. And it sounds like even going to a professional to get a relaxer can be a crapshoot.

These reviews are awful but I'm still convinced they had to have missed a step somewhere. I've used the amla relaxer and I still have all my hair without a burned scalp. If all the proper precautions are taken it can be done painlessly.

I do agree that professionals are a crap shoot no matter what you are having done. I personally hate going to the salon to have anything done. I'd rather do it myself and know it was done properly. The only exception is getting my hair cut. I just can't do that on my own.
    Very fine, high porosity, currently dyed and growing out the relaxed portions. I'm pretty sure my hair's 3b something IIRC. We will be finding out for sure as time goes by.
  • lovebonitalovebonita Registered Users Posts: 134
    The worst one to me is the last one.

My parents put a relaxer on me when I was in 4th grade. It was difficult for them to manage my hair. I really don't blame them; a lot of parents end up doing that, but I wish they would've done some research before dumping that shi* on my head.

My first relaxer wasn't that bad but I've had some TERRIBLE ones with chemical burns and scabs on my scalp for weeks. I only hope that this movement away from chemicals can better educate us before we subject our kids to these dangerous products.
  • Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Registered Users Posts: 400 Curl Neophyte
    SMH!!! :sad3:

This is terrible! I think perming your hair is like playing Russian Roulette with the damage. Many "miss a bullet" but some don't.

My mom began using a perm in my hair after the 6th grade because I was "bused" out of my school district to integrate schools in the Caucasian community, [they picked ten of us due to our being academically gifted]. I guess she wanted me to "fit in" making for fewer challenges. :dontknow:

My mom always used a "mild" perm or a texturizer on my hair so I didn't have any problems. My challenges came as an adult and dealing with stylists.

My hair would get a certain length and then the stylists would do something stupid which caused me to have to get a cut, and start all over again, [a perm which was too strong and caused shedding, color damaged, etc]. This happen about 4 times and I was beginning to get leery of going to salons.

One day I was talking to this husband and wife team at my church, [both did hair and had their own salon], and they looked at each other. Then they told me sometimes stylist get jealous and deliberately damage a person's hair, it wasn't all the time however I wasn't the only one. I was shocked!!! I started only going to men stylists after that until I moved to Texas.

I couldn't find a male stylist in my town, so I went to this lady who was excellent and she used a product called "Nairobi" on my hair...wonderful! I have always gotten a "touch up" every three months and it was "cool".

One day I came in and when she went to rinse it out - there was no water! It seemed she was having challenges with the owner of the building who wanted her to move so the shop next to hers could expand so they cut off the water! I was furious and when she called the owner he could hear me in the background stating I would sue HIM if anything happen to my hair. She started rinsing my hair with bottled water and neutralizing shampoo and he came out and turned the water back on.

The next time I came, she used another perm, [I think it was Affirm or something like that which I hate. I also hate Dark and Lovely], it was terrible. I was already getting fed up with the time I wasted getting a perm, and now she switched on me just as the others had. That was it!

One thing I LOVE about being natural is natural products and the only person who touches my hair is someone who I know loves and appreciates it...ME!

Blessings!
    My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
    3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
    Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
    Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
    Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
    Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
    Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
    Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque
  • KinkyCoilyCurlsKinkyCoilyCurls Registered Users Posts: 95
    DaniGirl88 wrote: »
    Yikes!!!!

I've tried relaxers before (as a child). They would always burn my scalp and do nothing for my hair except damage it. My hair wouldn't straighten either. It would become wavy if anything, so I was stuck in a weird medium between wavy and somewhat curly. It was horrible!

My mom was finally fed up with the boxed relaxers and took me to get a professional one done at a salon. Oh boy....three hundred dollars, three hours and a burnt scalp/face later, and my hair was finally straight. However, it was supposed to last 6 months and only lasted about a week. My mom was furious and I was depressed. I vowed then, never again!

I think this happens to a lot of people. Most people's hair doesn't become bone straight when relaxing hence why a lot of relaxed women still rely a lot on heat. It normally took me a long time for it to take on my hair and my hair was never bone straight. Of course factors such as porosity, strand thickness, etc. were definitely in play on how well it worked also the strength and ingredients of the relaxer.

Wow you paid 300 dollars for a relaxer at a salon?! I've never paid anywhere near that much, that's insane!!

Relaxers are permanent though, so maybe what you got for 300 dollars wasn't a relaxer. Also relaxers can't make your hair straight like a naturally straight haired person. It won't behave, act, or look the same. Idk about 3b hair, but I know that when type 4 hair is relaxed the strand at a molecular level can never actually be straight, even if it appears to be so.
    Goosefootprint Analysis:
    Hair Strand Thickness
    Root: Fine - Medium Midshaft: Medium Ends: Slightly Coarse

Hair Elasticity Dry: Normal

Hair Elasticity Wet: Low

Porosity
    Roots: Low Midshaft & Ends: Mixture of Normal & Porous
    I never really had a bad experience with relaxers, besides the pain. Well there was one time when my mom was relaxing my hair. Next to the bathtub, she keeps sponges in a bucket filled w/ cleaning agents and I can't remember if she used the bucket to rinse the relaxer out of my hair or the sponge idk, but anyway the chemicals got on my hair, mixed w/ those chemicals and burned my scalp. I had scabs everywhere. That was the last time I let her relax my hair. I was in high school. I wanted to stop getting them after that, but my mom still forced me to get them. I just got them done by somebody else.
    Goosefootprint Analysis:
    Hair Strand Thickness

Porosity
  • ZeldahimeZeldahime Registered Users Posts: 223
    I think this happens to a lot of people. Most people's hair doesn't become bone straight when relaxing hence why a lot of relaxed women still rely a lot on heat. It normally took me a long time for it to take on my hair and my hair was never bone straight. Of course factors such as porosity, strand thickness, etc. were definitely in play on how well it worked also the strength and ingredients of the relaxer.

Wow you paid 300 dollars for a relaxer at a salon?! I've never paid anywhere near that much, that's insane!!

Relaxers are permanent though, so maybe what you got for 300 dollars wasn't a relaxer. Also relaxers can't make your hair straight like a naturally straight haired person. It won't behave, act, or look the same. Idk about 3b hair, but I know that when type 4 hair is relaxed the strand at a molecular level can never actually be straight, even if it appears to be so.

My hair naturally is mostly 3b. I relax it and my hair doesn't get bone straight either. Now I do dye my hair so I always use a mild strength. Even then I do have fine hair so mild is what would be recommended. I do leave it on for the max time as well. I end up with wavy hair.
    Very fine, high porosity, currently dyed and growing out the relaxed portions. I'm pretty sure my hair's 3b something IIRC. We will be finding out for sure as time goes by.
  • asagiasagi Registered Users Posts: 194
    Yikes!!!!

My relaxer days were so not fun. It was long, tiresome and painful. When I was in college my normal hair dresser left the country. My teacher at the time recommended this woman in town and since I loved my teacher's hair I listened to her. I remember telling the stylist that I have a sensitive scalp so please work fast. I had force myself not to scratch for a week before which is how long it takes to ensure I don't get burns. I also told her that the middle of my head was the most sensitive. She had no problems with what I was saying. Then the process started and she took her sweet time while laughing and joking with the other hair dressers. When she was only half way my scalp started burning. I told her please rinse it out then do the other half. She refused. She started telling me that beauty is about pain and then stopped doing my hair to go do God knows what. By the time she was done relaxing my hair I was solidly crying. As in sobbing level. My scalp had never felt so bad in my life. When she finally rinsed the chemical out it was like rubbing salt in the wounds. She took vasaline and rubbed it on the burnt areas and sent me on my way. By the next day I had huge scabs with pus on both sides of my head and the middle of my head. The middle was the worse. All my hair was stuck onto the scabs and I had to gently pull the strands out over time as the burns cured. My scalp never fully recovered from the chemical damage and the hair in the middle of my head constantly broke after that. I switched from normal relaxers to mild then to texturizers coupled with flat ironing. It took alot of effort and refusing to go to the salon every 6 weeks regardless of how much I looked in need of a touch up and many years for my hair to recover from my little 'adventure'. My scalp was a different story. I developed an itchy scalp and a dandruff problem that has persisted to this day.
    Curl type: 3C/4A
    Strand thickness: Fine-Medium-Thick
    Porosity: low to medium to high (depends on where on my head)
    Density: medium - high
    Co-wash :Tresemme's Naturals Conditioner
    Moisturizer: Aunt Jackie's Girls Baby Girl Curls: Curling & Twisting Custard
    DC: Profectiv Mega Growth Anti-Breaking Strengthing DC
    PT: Hair Mayonaise/Coconut Oil
    Sealant: Jamican Black Castor oil
    Gel: Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic
    Zeldahime wrote: »

My hair naturally is mostly 3b. I relax it and my hair doesn't get bone straight either. Now I do dye my hair so I always use a mild strength. Even then I do have fine hair so mild is what would be recommended. I do leave it on for the max time as well. I end up with wavy hair.

I feel like those max times on the box are bs, my relaxers were always left on way longer than that.
    Goosefootprint Analysis:
    Hair Strand Thickness

Porosity
    asagi wrote: »
    Yikes!!!!

My relaxer days were so not fun. It was long, tiresome and painful. When I was in college my normal hair dresser left the country. My teacher at the time recommended this woman in town and since I loved my teacher's hair I listened to her. I remember telling the stylist that I have a sensitive scalp so please work fast. I had force myself not to scratch for a week before which is how long it takes to ensure I don't get burns. I also told her that the middle of my head was the most sensitive. She had no problems with what I was saying. Then the process started and she took her sweet time while laughing and joking with the other hair dressers. When she was only half way my scalp started burning. I told her please rinse it out then do the other half. She refused. She started telling me that beauty is about pain and then stopped doing my hair to go do God knows what. By the time she was done relaxing my hair I was solidly crying. As in sobbing level. My scalp had never felt so bad in my life. When she finally rinsed the chemical out it was like rubbing salt in the wounds. She took vasaline and rubbed it on the burnt areas and sent me on my way. By the next day I had huge scabs with pus on both sides of my head and the middle of my head. The middle was the worse. All my hair was stuck onto the scabs and I had to gently pull the strands out over time as the burns cured. My scalp never fully recovered from the chemical damage and the hair in the middle of my head constantly broke after that. I switched from normal relaxers to mild then to texturizers coupled with flat ironing. It took alot of effort and refusing to go to the salon every 6 weeks regardless of how much I looked in need of a touch up and many years for my hair to recover from my little 'adventure'. My scalp was a different story. I developed an itchy scalp and a dandruff problem that has persisted to this day.

I'm sorry that happened to you.

I think relaxers aren't seen as dangerous chemicals. People are so used to them, and used to the burning, but don't realize that you're putting a dangerous chemical on someone's scalp. That is another reason why I don't like stylists because a lot of them will be talking on the phone and to other hair stylists and not paying attention to your hair. Most of my life my mom did my relaxers, so I rarely went to salons for them, and when I stopped having my mom do mine, I had my sisters friend do them for me.

People need to be educated on just how dangerous these chemicals are and what they can do to your scalp and follicles.
    Goosefootprint Analysis:
    Hair Strand Thickness

Porosity
    Yikes!!!!

Very interesting! Yes, my mom paid $300 for a "relaxer." That's what they called it, so that's what I thought I was getting. We were both naive and ignorant to the whole process, so I'm sure we were taken advantage of. That makes a lot of sense that relaxers won't make it completely straight, and they would actually straighten my hair with a flat iron afterwards as well. Maybe that's what I needed to do more of after I got it done. Either way, I was fed up after the "professional" one. Too much work to make my hair look straight. I'm glad I never really got into that routine because my hair would have been way too damaged from all the heat I would have needed!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

asagi wrote: »
    Yikes!!!!

That sounds horrendous! I am so sorry you had to deal with that! I would have been sobbing too. I probably would have punched her too. All that pain and burning you so bad you had pus and scabs? Ridiculous! =(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Air Dry

• lorr1e1lorr1e1 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte

Mizani Butter Blend Sensitive Scalp Rhelaxer Single Application Big Sale! (Health and Beauty)

I had to rinse it out before it was time because It burned my daughter's head. I used the Mizani neutralizing shampoo to get it out but still her hair broke off in many places and we had to get it cut real short to hide the damage. Poor thing! A 13 year old should not have to go to school looking like a boy.
    I don't care what anyone says, we should not be putting on chemical [products of any kind on childrens hair as it hasn't not matured and not strong enough for any kind of application. If our parents can understand and care for our natural hair when we are young without chemicals so can we.
  • KINGsdaughterKINGsdaughter Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    Yes, everyone should just love what GOD gave them. For those new, well old to being natural too, you should definitely get the 'Natural Hair Hair Growth eGuide Calendar' 2021! Not only does it have TONS of Natural Hair Care Tips, it has 100 Hair Growth Tips, and it plans out a monthly hair routine so you can stay on track and get Longer, Thicker, Healthier, Stronger, Shinier, Natural Hair Faster!! You can write your hair goals, length checks, takes notes, and answer the hair questions too. It's fun! Here's the link... https://www.naturalhairhairgrowth.com/shop
  • lorr1e1lorr1e1 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    Yes, everyone should just love what GOD gave them. For those new, well old to being natural too, you should definitely get the 'Natural Hair Hair Growth eGuide Calendar' 2021! Not only does it have TONS of Natural Hair Care Tips, it has 100 Hair Growth Tips, and it plans out a monthly hair routine so you can stay on track and get Longer, Thicker, Healthier, Stronger, Shinier, Natural Hair Faster!! You can write your hair goals, length checks, takes notes, and answer the hair questions too. It's fun! Here's the link... https://www.naturalhairhairgrowth.com/shop
    Not sure what that is on your link, i think people need to read up on natural hair but keep what they put on the hair to a minimum especially on children's hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file