Need some advice how to get even color..

peki31peki31 Registered Users Posts: 13
I've been coloring my hair with One 'N Only Argan Oil Hair Color 3RV Dark Red Violet Brown with a 20 Vol. Developer for about 2 years. I have gray roots. When I color my hair, my roots are much brighter then the rest of my hair, which looks like a very dark brown/red. I would love to have it all be one color, the darker color. Should I lower my developer to 10 vol.? Also, some of my grays just don't want to take in any color at all, like at my temples and some stray others. I usually color my roots for about 30 min, then put color on the rest of my hair for about 10 min. I've been reading about a Protein Filler, would that help? Do I need to keep it on longer? I need to color my hair tonight because we have a couple parties we are attending this weekend. I plan to stop by Sally's to pick up whatever I need.

Thanks~

Lana

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    You will damage your hair 'refreshing' the lengths for ten minutes each time, in just six sessions than is an hour of extra processing time.

The darker colour you have is probably build up from over processing. Are you using an ammonia free product? Is intended to cover greys?
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • peki31peki31 Registered Users Posts: 13
    It says Low Ammonia, Certified 100% Gray Coverage.

Should I only color the roots then?
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    It's healthiest for hair to only do the roots. Over processing the lengths make them porous and causes build up of the brown dye molecules (red pigments tend to wash away) so an uneven colour over time.

Low ammonia may well mean it contains an alternative alkaline agent that is temperature sensitive. Try wearing a shower cap when you have applied the product and staying in a warm room/ out of drafts.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • peki31peki31 Registered Users Posts: 13
    Thank you! I went to Sally's and was thinking of changing brands. I decided on the Age Beautiful brand. I went with a darker shade then I had in my previous color. Used the protein filler first on damn hair for 20 minutes, then colored. I kept it on about 1 hour total on the roots. It is finally all one color and I don't have the light roots anymore. All my gray is covered!! Hopefully it won'y fade to fast. Thank you for the advice!.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file