Some of my hair just refuses to grow.

CaseyGCaseyG Registered Users Posts: 1
I'm transitioning, have been for a month now. I'm still waiting for my products to come in so I can jump right into a regimen that suits me best. Right now I'm just oiling up and taking supplements. But I've noticed something.

The first half of my head is really coarse, thick, 3c/4a hair. Then to the middle to bottom half are really loose, like 2b hair, and some patches are just straight, looking like I came straight from the relaxer, while the rest of my hair is just progressing and I just don't get it. Like I treat every part of my head the same, no one part gets more love from the oil than the other. So I just don't know why these specific patches decided to form the resistance and not grow like ugh. :dontknow:

Help? Reassurance? Lecture for my rebellious hair?

Comments

• lori.mattoxlori.mattox Registered Users Posts: 210
    It could be that your hair in the back will need to be coaxed with product, but I would just give it time. You will hear most likely over and over that your true texture won't come out until all of your relaxed hair is gone. I had sort of wavy hair all over with more curl at my roots up until I cut my last 2-3 inches of hair of a total length of about 5-7 inches at 10 months into my transition, for instance. After that I saw that 3C/4A hair, but I wasn't completely sure about that until recently lols.

I will say that oils don't really moisturize so you might want to at least consider a moisturizing styler or a leave in conditioner to keep your hair moisturized. That will be one very good thing to preventing breakage between the two textures that you are growing out. It can also be of more use to start trying to learn hair properties now too- a good product won't work if it doesn't match your hair properties. For instance, I have low porosity hair so layering a lot of product in the LOC method on my hair tends to make it feel more dry than just using a conditioner and a gel mixed together.

I also used my transition to do wash and go's most, if not all the time but my textures aren't as varied as what yours are sounding like. I was much more adventurous with styling like perm rod sets, flat twisting, bantu knots, etc so this could also be a great time to experiment with these styles.
    3C/4A Fine texture, low porosity, low/medium density? Trying CG since Dec. 2013
    Shampoo: Curl's Creamy Curl Cleanser or clarifying shampoo when needed.
    Co-wash: Curl's coconut curlada
    Deep Condition: Experimenting in the kitchen
    oil: flaxseed and coconut for treatments
    Styler: Tresemme conditioner, alone or mixed together with aloe vera gel
    Sealer: aloe vera juice
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    A month?? How do you know your hair is not growing? Why do you think oiling affects growth?
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    Come back to us in 3 months and tell us your hair isn't growing.

For most people supplements end up down the toilet as you excrete them out.

Also oil just provides a barrier to keep moisture in. It doesn't add moisture or help with growth.

I suggest you do some reading - try a hair blog like the Nature hair haven as well as the main site.
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    Uh if you are stressed after a month of transitioning which is sooner than most people get retouches then this might be a bumpy ride.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    Be patient. It's only been a month. Transitioning is a long and tedious journey, but it IS worth it. You just need to realise it'll take some time.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Registered Users Posts: 400 Curl Neophyte
    CaseyG wrote: »
    I'm transitioning, have been for a month now. I'm still waiting for my products to come in so I can jump right into a regimen that suits me best. Right now I'm just oiling up and taking supplements. But I've noticed something.

The first half of my head is really coarse, thick, 3c/4a hair. Then to the middle to bottom half are really loose, like 2b hair, and some patches are just straight, looking like I came straight from the relaxer, while the rest of my hair is just progressing and I just don't get it. Like I treat every part of my head the same, no one part gets more love from the oil than the other. So I just don't know why these specific patches decided to form the resistance and not grow like ugh. :dontknow:

Help? Reassurance? Lecture for my rebellious hair?

Well, a "watched pot never boils"...it has only been a month...LOL!

I remember when I did the BC, it seemed to take forever for my hair to grow. At one point, I became very busy and just put my hair in cute styles and handled my business. One day I noticed my hair had grown pass the length it was when I had the perm.

Also, I think you may need to do the BC in order to see what "type" your hair really is. I was transitioning and didn't know it when I was growing out my perm and flat ironing my roots. Finally I got tired of all of it and did the BC.

I found my hair type, how easy it is to care for and loved my natural hair.

Think about it...

PS...might want try reading "Curly Girl - the Handbook"...really encouraged me in my journey.
    My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
    3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
    Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
    Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
    Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
    Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
    Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
    Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque

Leave a Comment