How often should I cowash?

Zippytatiana9Zippytatiana9 Registered Users Posts: 134
I have 4a curls with some heat damage, I cowash every week with Aussie Moist/ Hello Hydration and then shampoo every 2 weeks with Organix coconut milk shampoo. Am I washing my hair too much?
Started my journey September 8th, 20138)
High Density, 4A Curls, Fine-Medium Strands, Normal- Low elasticity, Low/normal porosity
Current Hair-length: APL (straight)
Hair-length Goal: AP length when curly
Still trying to figure out my curly hair needs & regimen
"Confidence Is Beautiful":love5:

Comments

• adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    You have to figure out what works for your hair. My hair needs water every day. I can spritz but the max is 3 days and my hair needs to be drenched to stay moisturizzed. I shampoo once a week and cowashed once or twice in between. Certain times of year I cowash every other day.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    Definitely not.

If you talk to a dermatologist they would probably say you aren't washing your hair enough.

In reality it's your scalp that needs the cleaning not your hair.

Unfortunately cleaning your scalp means unless you are completely bald your hair gets a clean.

I would co-wash or find a low-poo if you find your hair is too dry. Then try something like the LOC method.

I wash virtually every time I do exercise but use water, conditioner and low-poos.
  • scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
    It really depends. Everyone's hair is different.

I thought I had to co-wash everyday, but then someone convinced me to do every other day. My hair is the longest its ever been.

I co-wash every other day and shampoo only when required (when I get my hair colored, when I use heavy styling products, etc)

How do you wear your hair? Do find that it's dry?
  • Zippytatiana9Zippytatiana9 Registered Users Posts: 134
    scrills wrote: »
    It really depends. Everyone's hair is different.

I thought I had to co-wash everyday, but then someone convinced me to do every other day. My hair is the longest its ever been.

I co-wash every other day and shampoo only when required (when I get my hair colored, when I use heavy styling products, etc)

How do you wear your hair? Do find that it's dry?
    I wear my hair in buns and it doesn't feel dry to me
    Started my journey September 8th, 20138)
    High Density, 4A Curls, Fine-Medium Strands, Normal- Low elasticity, Low/normal porosity
    Current Hair-length: APL (straight)
    Hair-length Goal: AP length when curly
    Still trying to figure out my curly hair needs & regimen
    "Confidence Is Beautiful":love5:
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    Just wash your hair when you feel it needs it; that's the best advice anyone can give. There's no set amount of times people should wash their hair as everyone's hair is different. Some people's hair gets greasy easily and can build-up easily, others don't.

You know better than anyone when your hair needs washing, so don't get caught up on how many times other people wash their hair and let it affect your routine. If what you do works, keep doing it.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
    Since you are wearing your hair in a bun, that sounds fine. If you start to notice a change in your hair, you can try changing things up

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file