CurlTalk

Downton Abbey

DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users
Does anyone watch this show? Did you see the last episode? What did you think? My head is reeling......

Or, just share your thoughts/likes/dislikes about the show in general.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,270Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have no idea (beyond all the sparkle Oo ah factor) why I love this show so much. It always ends way too soon. This episode breaks my heart. The only storyline I really tired of was Bates in prison. Actually when i think about it this show breaks my heart a lot. I still love it.
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users
    chupie wrote: »
    I have no idea (beyond all the sparkle Oo ah factor) why I love this show so much. It always ends way too soon. This episode breaks my heart. The only storyline I really tired of was Bates in prison. Actually when i think about it this show breaks my heart a lot. I still love it.

I would completely agree. I am a sucker for a good period drama, and this fits the bill. I love the costumes, the differing way of life from today's world, and the grand estate. It just mesmerizes me! I really love the idea of seeing how the upstairs world differs from the downstairs world, but I feel like there has been too much heartbreak lately. Bates in prison was a bit overdone, I agree. I also think two of the main characters dying last season was too much as well. Just broke my hear to see! And now poor Anna! I keep thinking of what I would have done in that situation. I kept hoping she would tell someone or stop that man right there. Such a beautiful show, but I'm starting to have a love/hate relationship with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Have you seen recent pics of Dan Stevens (Matthew) lately? He lost like 30 lbs and is almost unrecognizable. He wanted movies. I don't think he's gotten them yet.
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,937Registered Users
    I love this show, but EVERYONE upstairs is really flat this season.

Also, poor Anna.
    Have you seen recent pics of Dan Stevens (Matthew) lately? He lost like 30 lbs and is almost unrecognizable. He wanted movies. I don't think he's gotten them yet.

I haven't! I'm going to have to look that up! I think he should have stuck it out with the television series and then went on to movies. He was such a beloved character. I hate when actors leave a show because I get so attached to them as characters! Lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Air Dry

I think my friend cursed him. After that episode she turned to me and said "I hope he doesn't get any movies." Lol.
    CGNYC wrote: »

Also, poor Anna.

I agree. I love the show and the characters have been great in the past, but now I'm kind of bored watching it, especially the upstairs characters. I want something exciting (but good) to happen. Hahaha.

Poor Anna is right! I actually looked up what happens in the future episodes because I couldn't wait....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Air Dry

DaniGirl88 wrote: »

Also, poor Anna.

I agree. I love the show and the characters have been great in the past, but now I'm kind of bored watching it, especially the upstairs characters. I want something exciting (but good) to happen. Hahaha.

Poor Anna is right! I actually looked up what happens in the future episodes because I couldn't wait....

AUBER AUBER AUBER! (that means, naughty! lol!)

Also, poor Anna.

AUBER AUBER AUBER! (that means, naughty! lol!)

Lol. Yeah, I'm pretty bad. I read the comments on FB and saw that you could probably find out online, so I did. Now I'm still anxiously awaiting the next episode. I think that is hilarious about your friend cursing him! I had a friend who was crazy about him in Downton and now doesn't like him. She feels betrayed. Hahaha.

I have to admit though, I really love the historical accuracy they seem to have with this show. From the costumes to the reactions and way they treat guests. The part in the last episode about the opera singer not sitting with the other guests at dinner and eating in her room really stood out to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Air Dry

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    Bite your tongue - no spoilers, LOL!

Love it! I had only seen bits and pieces of the previous seasons, but enough to know I liked it. So when our local PBS stations started rerunning them in December, I watched all of them so I'd be ready for season 4. In trying to be sure I finally caught all of them, I've watched some parts over and over between the two stations, LOL, but I'm finally up to speed.

Maybe it'll pick up at bit now that things are set up for the new season - introduction of some new folks, Mary getting involved in managing the estate, Edith and Anna's situations, etc.

Did anyone happen to see Hugh Bonneville (Lord Grantham) in his totally different role as Mr. Stink during the holidays on PBS? What a departure!
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Air Dry

WurlyLox wrote: »
    Bite your tongue - no spoilers, LOL!

Love it! I had only seen bits and pieces of the previous seasons, but enough to know I liked it. So when our local PBS stations started rerunning them in December, I watched all of them so I'd be ready for season 4. In trying to be sure I finally caught all of them, I've watched some parts over and over between the two stations, LOL, but I'm finally up to speed.

Maybe it'll pick up at bit now that things are set up for the new season - introduction of some new folks, Mary getting involved in managing the estate, Edith and Anna's situations, etc.

Did anyone happen to see Hugh Bonneville (Lord Grantham) in his totally different role as Mr. Stink during the holidays on PBS? What a departure!

Agreed! It might pick up now that the stage is set and everyone is introduced (or most of them). I really like the potential of Mary finding a new beau, but am interested to see how that plays out and who it will be exactly. I love that PBS replays them. That way, I can re-watch them or get caught up before the new ones air. I just love Masterpiece on PBS in general.

I don't think I saw him in that role! I must have missed it! I love him as an actor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Air Dry

Oh and I promise not to spoil anything. I only read about what happens with Anna's story-line so the rest is still a mystery!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Air Dry

OMG hilarious! I have to show her that. I have to admit his film looks beautiful.
    Btw you should check out Stephen Colberts mashup of Downton and breaking bad that he did when the cast was over here last year. It's hilarious.

OMG hilarious! I have to show her that. I have to admit his film looks beautiful.

=)

It does look beautiful! I'm excited to see it! I would totally expect an apology. Hahaha.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Air Dry

Btw you should check out Stephen Colberts mashup of Downton and breaking bad that he did when the cast was over here last year. It's hilarious.

That sounds awesome! I'm going to look that up when I get home for sure. Thanks for the recommendation! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Air Dry

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,776Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I'm done this season, and think it was one of my favorites. If you're having doubts, stick with it for a bit!!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    I'm done this season, and think it was one of my favorites. If you're having doubts, stick with it for a bit!!

Thanks for the advice! I want to binge watch it. Lol. I hate waiting a week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Air Dry

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,776Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    That's what I did, couldn't wait! The. Boxing Day morning, the first thing I did was watch the Christmas Day special lol
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    I liked Dan Stevens' beard in that interview. It makes his chin and jawline look stronger - more masculine-looking.

His accent also seemed more pronounced to me. Or maybe it's just that his real accent is from a different region than it was supposed to sound for Downton.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    I think that's it. He has a much less refined dialect.
    Last night's episode was good. Hard to watch Anna and Bates like that, but good!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Air Dry

You have to look up Downtin sixby by jimmy fallon online. Hilarious Parody!
    You have to look up Downtin sixby by jimmy fallon online. Hilarious Parody!

Hilarious!!!!! That was by far one of the best things I've seen in a while. I love the detail!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Air Dry

I know. And Brooke Shields really killed it as Cora.
    I know. And Brooke Shields really killed it as Cora.

Agreed! I have to show this to some of my friends. They are going to love it! Thanks for sharing it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Air Dry

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,241Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I'm finished with season 4 and tho I didn't love it I still like the show. I think I just enjoyed it more when it was about love and gardening and dresses and horse and buggies and the summer house and snobbery. It's not as good to me now that it's more moderen with cars and newfangled contraptions and more serious story lines. But it's still a really good show. And I still love Mr Bates. : )
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    I'm finished with season 4 and tho I didn't love it I still like the show. I think I just enjoyed it more when it was about love and gardening and dresses and horse and buggies and the summer house and snobbery. It's not as good to me now that it's more moderen with cars and newfangled contraptions and more serious story lines. But it's still a really good show. And I still love Mr Bates. : )

It did get extremely serious this season, as well as the end of last season's. I don't think I can take much more heartache. I typically love period pieces, especially those that have excellent costumes, sets, etc. This one is fantastic in terms of characters and actors/actresses, but I wasn't as thrilled by the end of last season. So far, it has intrigued me. I adore Mr. Bates! He plays a character in Lark Rise to Candleford that I adore as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Air Dry

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,241Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    ^ On my way to look up that series!
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html