Women w/ kinky type 4 hair: How do you find a stylist?

KinkyCoilyCurlsKinkyCoilyCurls Registered Users Posts: 95
I've found that salons that say they can do curly hair, usually can't handle kinky hair or know what to do with it. But then the typical salons I went to when I was relaxed, certainly don't know how to handle natural kinky hair either, except to put a relaxer on it. I've called places describing my hair and get reassurances that they can handle it. One salon I took the chance and left with matted hair. The detangling after that was torture. I really want to see a stylist who understands hair and can analyze my hair and tell me what's wrong with it, but I'm scared stylists will disregard everything I'm saying and tell me "that's just the nature of kinky hair." When I know it's not the nature of my hair, because it has changed and is acting funky. Unfortunately I live in Massachusetts, so there's not many natural hair salons here. Plus I can't drive to go find one (no license). When I'm at Uni, I'm near Boston, so I could take the MBTA and then when I'm at home I'm in the Springfield area so I can take the PVTA but it's nowhere near as extensive as the MBTA and I've gotten lost on it many a time so I hate using it. Right now I'm on winter break. So I'd like to go to a salon before I go back to school because by then I don't think I'll have time to take a trip to Boston/around Boston to find a salon.
Goosefootprint Analysis:
Hair Strand Thickness
Root: Fine - Medium Midshaft: Medium Ends: Slightly Coarse

Hair Elasticity Dry: Normal

Hair Elasticity Wet: Low

Porosity
Roots: Low Midshaft & Ends: Mixture of Normal & Porous

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    You may actually be better of finding a salon near your school.

College students tend to have a wider variation of hair styles plus their are always Black Beauty shows so stylists, including those in training, who are willing and able to deal with a variety of hair types tend to cluster around colleges.

I guess you are going have to be brave, go around your school, tell students with tightly curled, coily and kinky hair that you like their hair and ask them where they got their hair done.

I would advise you to ensure your hair is as detangled as possible before you go to the salon. I even cleanse my hair myself before going to a new stylist.

In regards to what is "wrong" with your hair most stylists won't be able to help you as they aren't trained in hair science.

This means they aren't aware of the conditions, deficiencies and even common hair practices that cause hair issues. (Look at the number of posts on stylists who give misinformation about dying to posters.) For that you would need to see a dermatologist or trichologist. Even a family doctor/nurse could help in some cases.
  • KinkyCoilyCurlsKinkyCoilyCurls Registered Users Posts: 95
    Blueblood wrote: »
    You may actually be better of finding a salon near your school.

College students tend to have a wider variation of hair styles plus their are always Black Beauty shows so stylists, including those in training, who are willing and able to deal with a variety of hair types tend to cluster around colleges.

I guess you are going have to be brave, go around your school, tell students with tightly curled, coily and kinky hair that you like their hair and ask them where they got their hair done.

I would advise you to ensure your hair is as detangled as possible before you go to the salon. I even cleanse my hair myself before going to a new stylist.

In regards to what is "wrong" with your hair most stylists won't be able to help you as they aren't trained in hair science.

This means they aren't aware of the conditions, deficiencies and even common hair practices that cause hair issues. (Look at the number of posts on stylists who give misinformation about dying to posters.) For that you would need to see a dermatologist or trichologist. Even a family doctor/nurse could help in some cases.

There are absolutely no salons near my school that know how to do my hair. It's very suburban. It is 30-45 minutes outside of boston in a car depending on traffic/how fast you drive. But I have to take public transportation so it takes much longer. But I guess the Boston area would have a better variety than the Springfield area. I know naturals at my school and they all do their hair themselves. I don't want to go for a style. I need a hair analysis, so I guess the proper person would be a trichologist. I actually have a dermatologist appointment, but I forgot when. I think it's this month, before I go back to school hopefully. If so I will ask the dermatologist while I'm there, but I don't think it has anything to do w/ the scalp. Hopefully I can see if they have a trichologist at my clinic. Thanks!
    Goosefootprint Analysis:
    Hair Strand Thickness
    Root: Fine - Medium Midshaft: Medium Ends: Slightly Coarse

Hair Elasticity Dry: Normal

Hair Elasticity Wet: Low

Porosity
    Roots: Low Midshaft & Ends: Mixture of Normal & Porous
  • Type4GyalType4Gyal Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    I found one in malden. Haven't been to it, but stumbled upon it on Instagram and it looks promising. https://www.thenaturalsislife.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file