Help dealing with two different textures

NontoePKNontoePK Registered Users Posts: 25
So I'm 6 months natural, when I big chopped I completely shaved my head. I'm having a problem keeping my hair moisturized. While the crown and the back of my head gets moisturized easily, my sides are very coarse and even feel rough to the touch. They never seem to get moisturized. Has anyone got a similar problem or can anyone share some advice

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    What are your hair properties and what products are you using? Do you mean moisturised (moisture = water) or do you mean conditioned?

Coarse or kinky hair doesn't necessarily feel as soft as other hair types, that can be the nature of the beast - use plenty of emollients (ingredients that confer softness, slip and shine) rather than obsessing about water content.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • NontoePKNontoePK Registered Users Posts: 25
    I believe my hair is mostly 4a, with sprinkles of b, but I think my sides are 4c. I usually spritz with water and conditioner then seal with coconut oil followed by organics HAIRepair intense moisture creme.
  • MzKinkyKoilMzKinkyKoil Registered Users Posts: 7
    I use Catu co wash and the cantu leave in conditioning repair cream. I mix castor oil and olive oil in the leave in conditioner. I had the same problem, but this regimen leaves my hair so soft, and defines my curls, or shall i say softens my z pattern. I think im a 4a/4b

Sent from my SCH-R740C using CurlTalk App
  • NontoePKNontoePK Registered Users Posts: 25
    Hey MzKinkyKoil, thank you for your response, I've tried finding cantu in my country (South Africa), no luck. Couldn't even get hold of eco styler gel. I'll try ordering it online :)
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    I kind of have this issue. My front hairline and my nape tend to become dry easily and won't absorb moisture. Actually all of my hair is prone to buildup so don't use cones but those areas are super prone to buildup so product amounts my other hair is okay with those parts don't like. The way I get around this is wetting that area then using a gentle poo bar to cleanse. I then "rinse" using a spray bottle and my finger to squeeze excess shampoo. I add li and seal and I'm good. I do this usually every other day even if I am not cowashing the rest of my hair. If this is the cause for you then Ecostyler is probably not your friend. That stuff gives me the worst buildup on my hairline. I avoid gels with PVP. Buildup is my #1 cause of dryness. Examine the ingredients in your products and whether your cleanser can adequately get it out.

Nice to welcome a South African curly on the board:toothy4: :thumbleft: I hear it is beautiful there.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file