Funny story

AmaratAmarat Registered Users Posts: 13
Apparently if you don't perm your hair, it falls off. That's it. I actually found that hilarious and somewhat logically incorrect. If anything, you hair should grow and do the exact opposite of falling off, right? (With proper upkeep and maintenance, of course) Mommy dearest thinks otherwise since "that's what happened to her". I don't know why but she is hell bent on perming hair but only if it doesn't belong to her. The thought of just being around a box of perm makes me sick...like to my stomach. I seriously feel nauseous just talking about it. Ugh. I know I'm not alone so please tell me your opinion.

Comments

• multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    I assume by perming you mean relaxing. I always like to clarify, not being snarky. ;) there is some truth to what your mother is saying. For those with kinky hair, the hair usually breaks at the demarcation line where the drastically different types of hair meet. However, the new growth shouldn't break if properly cared for, just the relaxed hair.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • AmaratAmarat Registered Users Posts: 13
    I assume by perming you mean relaxing. I always like to clarify, not being snarky. ;) there is some truth to what your mother is saying. For those with kinky hair, the hair usually breaks at the demarcation line where the drastically different types of hair meet. However, the new growth shouldn't break if properly cared for, just the relaxed hair.

Lol I do mean relaxing. I completely understand that breakage is almost inevitable but can be prevented/lessened by extensive care and protection--dc, protective styles, less heat and manipulation--none of which she does btw. I do all of these methods religiously but she just makes it seem like it'll break no matter what.
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Registered Users Posts: 1,583 Curl Neophyte
    Amarat wrote: »
    Apparently if you don't perm your hair, it falls off. That's it. I actually found that hilarious and somewhat logically incorrect. If anything, you hair should grow and do the exact opposite of falling off, right? (With proper upkeep and maintenance, of course) Mommy dearest thinks otherwise since "that's what happened to her". I don't know why but she is hell bent on perming hair but only if it doesn't belong to her. The thought of just being around a box of perm makes me sick...like to my stomach. I seriously feel nauseous just talking about it. Ugh. I know I'm not alone so please tell me your opinion.

When you said perm, I assumed the perm my mother used to get to put the curls in her hair. Lol. =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• AmaratAmarat Registered Users Posts: 13
    DaniGirl88 wrote: »

When you said perm, I assumed the perm my mother used to get to put the curls in her hair. Lol. =)

Lol no sorry. A lot of people, including myself, use them interchangeably even though they're complete opposites. I'm also just not used to calling it a relaxer so I just typed perm out of habit.
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte

Lol no sorry. A lot of people, including myself, use them interchangeably even though they're complete opposites. I'm also just not used to calling it a relaxer so I just typed perm out of habit.

I also use them interchangeably as the people I have grown up with and hang around with do.
    Before this website, I never heard the word perm used to mean relaxer. I love learning new things! Maybe it depends on where you grew up!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

• multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    Before this website, I never heard the word perm used to mean relaxer. I love learning new things! Maybe it depends on where you grew up!

I was similar. When I hear perm, I think permanent wave, unless I am on this site, where in most posts it refers to a relaxer.

3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed

I was similar. When I hear perm, I think permanent wave, unless I am on this site, where in most posts it refers to a relaxer.

Thanks for the info! =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Air Dry

• adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    I hear people call relaxers perms all the time. Mostly black people. I don't probably because my mom went to cosmotology school and always called it relaxer. But I do sometimes refer to people with relaxers as "permies". Relaxies doesn't sound right.

When I was little my mom would put curly perms in my hair and yes the smell made me so sick I would throw up. She would keep a bucket next to me so I could lean over and puke, wipe my face and then she would continue doing my hair. She said it was the "price of being beautiful". I moved on to relaxers and hated the smell plus got bad burns. Nowadays if I go into a large bss with shelves of relaxers, perms ect. if I walk down that aisle I get nauseated. Thank God I'm natural.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file