"Mini chop" or curly cut?

mayasimmamayasimma Registered Users Posts: 45
I'm near the end of my time abroad, and I'm planning on getting my hair colored/fixing my highlights before I leave. That being said, should I kill 2 birds with one stone and do a "mini chop" while I'm at the salon here, or should I just get my color fixed here and wait 2ish more weeks to get a curly cut at home?

If it's any help, I've already been to the salon here that I'm planning to go to (just for a haircut though), and the stylist did a good job for what he was working with (3a/b bone-dry canopy, almost stick-straight underlayer that is naturally 3a/b).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Registered Users Posts: 1,583 Curl Neophyte
    mayasimma wrote: »
    I'm near the end of my time abroad, and I'm planning on getting my hair colored/fixing my highlights before I leave. That being said, should I kill 2 birds with one stone and do a "mini chop" while I'm at the salon here, or should I just get my color fixed here and wait 2ish more weeks to get a curly cut at home?

If it's any help, I've already been to the salon here that I'm planning to go to (just for a haircut though), and the stylist did a good job for what he was working with (3a/b bone-dry canopy, almost stick-straight underlayer that is naturally 3a/b).

Which one would you personally feel more comfortable with? Do you feel like the stylist would do just as good this time around?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• mayasimmamayasimma Registered Users Posts: 45
    I'd be totally fine with either. My main concern is the two drastically different textures, which are due to 10 years of chemical straightening. Last time I was at the salon here (a little more than a month ago), he said that one more haircut would remove all of the damage. I definitely noticed a positive difference in how it felt, but it looked really weird because the top layer is crazy curly and the bottom is almost stick-straight. He was a great stylist, listened to all of my requests, but transitioning has to take the blame for how it ended up looking.

• bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Curl Connoisseur
    @mayasimma if your transitioning is the issue your likely gonna gave canopy issues anyway right? Atleast you won't have to worry about the cut since you know this guy's work and that he listens.
    Its a good and rare trait to find in a person lol. If your interested shea moisture's moisture retention line has a transitioning milk that is only available online. Idk if it will work wonders but I never saw it before.

Just take care of your hair and love it! It'll take some time to warm up to you but I'm sure it'll love you back in no time! :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Registered Users Posts: 1,583 Curl Neophyte
    @mayasimma if your transitioning is the issue your likely gonna gave canopy issues anyway right? Atleast you won't have to worry about the cut since you know this guy's work and that he listens.
    Its a good and rare trait to find in a person lol. If your interested shea moisture's moisture retention line has a transitioning milk that is only available online. Idk if it will work wonders but I never saw it before.

Just take care of your hair and love it! It'll take some time to warm up to you but I'm sure it'll love you back in no time! :D

I agree! I think that since you know the guy and his work, you could go for it. He sounds like a great stylist!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

Thank you both for your input! I'll make an appointment tomorrow :-)

@bringingcurliesback: true, but it's not so much an issue with the canopy's texture as it is with its length. I only started going CG in June or July...until then I was getting layered blowouts, so I think the canopy's odd length has something to do with that. It wouldn't bother me so much if the layers weren't so different in length. Also, I LOVE the SheaMoisture line, but Target doesn't ship internationally, so I'll have to wait until I'm home to order it (thankfully that's only 2ish more weeks).
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Curl Connoisseur
    Your welcome... and I see. Its complicated. And remember your canopy is always exposed the most. Pineapple away!!! And also be patient cause I remember cg at first seems kind of weird. But one day you just wake up and you have amazing hair and thank yourself for sticking with it. I promise!

*Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
    It's not even a canopy, it's this weird wide strip of hair on the top of my head that is significantly different than the rest of my hair. I recently started doing PTs (I use the Moroccanoil one) once a week, and I do DTs a few times a week, but there's no change in the canopy. It's almost to the point where I want to take a razor to it ;-P

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file