Where to start?

april.alice.april.alice. Posts: 3Registered Users
All my life I've never known how to care for my hair. My mother has poker straight hair and my father's hair is very curly but too short to need any maintenance or real care. Due to my mother's complete lack of knowledge about curly hair all I've ever known is to use generic shampoo and conditioner and that is pretty much it. I've searched for how to care for my 3a hair but it only ever shows one step or is too technical by people who already know how to care for their hair.

So, where do I start? What products and techniques? Step by step in layman's terms if possible!

Thanks =)

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Tell us all what products you ate using now and how you treat your hair on a daily and weekly basis.

Then we can point you to simple stuff to do and try while you digest the Curly Girl book by Lorraine Massey.
  • april.alice.april.alice. Posts: 3Registered Users
    Usually I use a generic curly hair shampoo and conditioner every other day, and use a deep conditioner once a week because my hair is damaged from dying my hair every color under the sun. 90% of the time my hair is tied up in a ponytail because it gets knotted and is crazyyy unmanageable.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's hard to recommend products without knowing your curl type and / or properties buuut I would seriously suggest getting a copy of the CG Handbook by Lorraine Massey (you can find it on Amazon). It's SO helpful!

Some techniques and tips though:
    Do pre-poos with oils like coconut.
    Deep condition once per week. You can also do protein treatment if you think your hair needs it.
    Use a shampoo without sulfates (a low-poo) or co-wash. And try to steer clear of silicones that aren't water-soluble (I'm not too hyped up on silicones though, so I can't provide much help here).
    Finger-detangle or, at the very least, use a wide-toothed comb.
    Find a good gel and a good leave-in conditioner!
    When applying product rake it through then scrunch, scrunch, scrunch, leave it to dry completely and don't touch it (at all) until it's fully dry :)
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • april.alice.april.alice. Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for. I've downloaded the CG handbook ebook also and am looking through it now.

Thanks again!! =)
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Not a problem! Hope you find some more great tips in the CG book :D let us know how you get on.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Best way to select ingredients/products is by hair properties. Here's a link to help you with yours Curly Hair Basics | Live Curly Live Free The e-book on that website is really a good investment to help you learn. All of the information in one place.

IMHO, the Curly Girl book is okay. Hope you got the DVD with the e-book. That's what makes it worth the price. While I could never use the copious amount of product they use, the styling portion is most helpful.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For dye damage use scientifically proven ingredients like coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol.

For tangling clarify and chelate (remove product and mineral build up), trim any severely damaged ends, finger detangle very gently, no brushing, use slippy ingredients like natural oils and the behentrimoniums.

Do not get hung up on moisturising or intensive conditioners. Most products contain few to no penetrating ingredients, they may soften but do little to improve the health of your hair. Hair that is overly porous soaks up TOO MUCH water which stresses the cuticle, weakens structural bonds, washes away structural lipids and proteins - this causes more damage (known as hygral fatigue).

Focus on deep penetrating treatments (coconut and protein) and leave in conditioning to strengthen, patch repair damage, coat the surface for slip and shine, help curls clump and be defined, help hair hold the *right amount* of water.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • pdxevergreenpdxevergreen Posts: 5Registered Users
    We share the same story! My mom was always envious of my "curly" hair which was really just frizzy! I have found using the right products is essential with my kind of hair. The frizz is now controlled! Try hair-caretips.com to get started finding the right products for your hair....worked for me. :grommit:
    Donna
    Website Owner
    http://hair-caretips.com/
  • etosetos Posts: 221Registered Users
    Start with the CG (=no shamoo) method, seriously, it helps A LOT. You can also use a gentle low-poo (like SheaMoisture hibiscus&coconut shampoo), if you don't feel like washing your hair with conditioner.

I think, for me, the second thing that helped my hair, is take dewpoints and humectants into account for wich products to use when (this helped me a lot reducing the frizz). But, this comes later, try the Curly Girl method first and see how you like it. There's a lot of info from this website that will help you, good luck!
    highlighted 3a hair. Fine strands, medium to high density. Probably high porosity. Growing uit bad layering and aiming for waist lenght!

Pre-poo: coconut oil
    wash: CJ Daily fix or SheaMoisture Coconut&Hibiscus
    RO + LI: different every time
    Styler: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB

dislikes: glycerin in low dews, scissor happy stylists, magnesium sulfate

(modified) CG since june 25, 2012
    Hiarfinity + extra MSM since March 5., 2014

SL - APL - BSBL- BSL - MBL - WL (stretched)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file