Do you have your routine "down" or are you still learning?

lovebonitalovebonita Posts: 134Registered Users
Just wondering! A few months ago, I thought I had my routine all set up. I was so scared of being a product junkie that I tried really hard to stick to certain products.

Fortunately (or unfortunately lol), I'm still on the hunt for a good leave-in as well as something to do braid-outs, twist-outs and flexi-rod sets with. I really try to stay consistent with other products when I'm trying something new because I figure it'll be harder to tell what's effective if you change EVERYTHING at once.

I do try and use up the last of a product unless it's really damaging to my hair/scalp/skin that way I'm not wasting money.

Stuff I used to use vs. what I use now:
Detangler: still use Roberto V05
Detangling tool: a shower comb vs. TRYING to finger detangle
RO conditioner: Tresseme Flawless Curls vs. Tresseme Naturals
DC: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deeeeep vs. Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
DC oil (I like to mix my dc with an oil): One'n'Only Argan Oil Treatment vs. EVCO
Leave-in: Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 vs. Kinky Curly Knot Today vs. Giovanni Direct Leave-in (will NOT be repurchasing GDLI)
Oil: Still use EVOO
Cream: still use 100% African Shea Butter

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I pretty much have it down and have been doing the same thing since I started CG. The only thing I do differently now is I don't do baptism rinses anymore and just use a leave-in.

Product-wise I'm still using the same shampoo, conditioner and gel, but I have recently just got two new leave-ins which I love :D
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • CurlyCitaCurlyCita Posts: 152Registered Users
    I think I have a routine down for the most part for as weekly. It's my application process that i am currently working on. I still havent figured out what method is best for as locking in moisture. LOC, LCOC, blah blah blah. i just dont know yet lol. And i am like you, i do not want to become a product junkie but i im slowly but surely getting there. I do have ONE staple product (sad huh) and thats Cantu Shea butter leave in conditioner. i used to use it as a leave in but i have Shea moisture as a leave in now so now i just use the cantu for DCing, which is amazing!!!
    Hair type: 3c/4a, high shrinkage :/, high density,medium porosity. ~1inch to APL stretched. Big Chopped: Oct. 2012
    Routine & Products: Sundays- DC on dry hair w/Cantu Shea Butter Leave in Conditioning Repair Cream & Olive Oil. Wash w/As I am Coconut Cowash. Condtion&detangle w/any VO5 conditoner. Braid in 5-8 braids w/Shea Moisture Smoothie.
    Wear braidout rest of week. Rebraid every night.

MAYcowash w/VO5 conditioner mid-week and rebraid again. I always unbraid w/Coconut oil on hands.
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My routine is still up in the air. I've been trying new products (as hard as I tried not to be a product junkie, I am one), and trying new methods as well. I tried plopping (didn't really work), and I tried finger detangling (still working on that). Currently, I'm trying the clips and going to start trying to partially diffuse. I think it'll be an ongoing process for me for a little while. I think I've finally figured out what products my hair thrive with though, which is a start!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• lori.mattoxlori.mattox Posts: 210Registered Users
    I consider my wash and go routine to be down- I am contemplating sealants and whether or not I need one. I'm thinking my best bet might be aloe vera juice- I loved when I used it to twirl the ends of a twist out I attempted. I haven't really tried it on my wash and go ends yet. I've spritzed but didn't notice too much of a difference in moisture retention. I also just started a new nighttime routine that I got from naptural85- spritz the air above your head, cover curls with a plastic cap, then put on your scarf. I've never had such moist second day curls!

I'm still trying to find the best routine for braid outs, twist outs, and other set curls like that too. I am starting to feel like it's a lost cause for my hair at least, and my expectations for my hair to get more than one day out of any roller type sets. It just seems no matter how I layer product, or what types of products I use the curls fall limp after so much time anyway. I started a thread about separating, but my curlformers set fell limp and lost curl after a day even though I didn't separate them at all. With braid and twist outs, I'm thinking I just can't expect to get very defined results on my hair and with my low density. I end up losing curl just trying to blend out overly visible part lines no matter what I do. I do get beachy type waves, but never those gorgeous curls and twists that others get. I thought about seeing if adding sea salt to a step might help, but I'm definitely too afraid of the salt drying my hair out to try it at this point.
    3C/4A Fine texture, low porosity, low/medium density? Trying CG since Dec. 2013
    Shampoo: Curl's Creamy Curl Cleanser or clarifying shampoo when needed.
    Co-wash: Curl's coconut curlada
    Deep Condition: Experimenting in the kitchen
    oil: flaxseed and coconut for treatments
    Styler: Tresemme conditioner, alone or mixed together with aloe vera gel
    Sealer: aloe vera juice
  • lovebonitalovebonita Posts: 134Registered Users
    I consider my wash and go routine to be down- I am contemplating sealants and whether or not I need one. I'm thinking my best bet might be aloe vera juice- I loved when I used it to twirl the ends of a twist out I attempted. I haven't really tried it on my wash and go ends yet. I've spritzed but didn't notice too much of a difference in moisture retention. I also just started a new nighttime routine that I got from naptural85- spritz the air above your head, cover curls with a plastic cap, then put on your scarf. I've never had such moist second day curls!

I'm still trying to find the best routine for braid outs, twist outs, and other set curls like that too. I am starting to feel like it's a lost cause for my hair at least, and my expectations for my hair to get more than one day out of any roller type sets. It just seems no matter how I layer product, or what types of products I use the curls fall limp after so much time anyway. I started a thread about separating, but my curlformers set fell limp and lost curl after a day even though I didn't separate them at all. With braid and twist outs, I'm thinking I just can't expect to get very defined results on my hair and with my low density. I end up losing curl just trying to blend out overly visible part lines no matter what I do. I do get beachy type waves, but never those gorgeous curls and twists that others get. I thought about seeing if adding sea salt to a step might help, but I'm definitely too afraid of the salt drying my hair out to try it at this point.

I know with lo-po hair, less is more.. Maybe instead of layering products for your twist-outs/braid-outs and different curler sets, try using one product, like a moisturizer with some hold in it? That's what I'm gonna try next. I think the length of my hair weighs it down when I try different curl patterns other than my own. Couple the length and weight with the fact that my hair stretches super easily and braid-outs are a joke. My hair just ends up straight lol.
  • testimony777testimony777 Posts: 237Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would say I have mine down. I am fairly consistent with my products. I only change when things stop working for me for whatever reason (most recently because a product was reformulated). But I am happy with everything I am using now.

As for technique, I have been caring for my hair in pretty much the same way for going on two years now (since going CG). There have been a few tweaks here and there, I started using henna this summer and I slightly modified my WnG routine so that I can do it in the shower, but other than that it is the same.
    Hair Stats (CG since 3/31/12)
    Type: 3c/b; Density: M; Texture: F-M; Porosity: L-N

Products
    Cleanser: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: DevaCurl Original One Condition
    Leave-in: DevaCurl B'Leave-in
    Stylers: DevaCurl Volumizing Frizz Free Foam, DevaCurl Beautiful Mess, DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray
    Refresher: DevaCurl No Comb Detangling Spray
    Finisher: DevaCurl Shine Spray
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Once I have it down, I have to start all over it seems.... Our weather changes so much here. Right now I have it down pretty good, but I know once spring hits I'll be clueless again.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I feel like I'm always building on what I learned before.......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file