Is this a common experience?

SempathSempath Registered Users Posts: 22
I just got my natural hair straightened by a man that claimed he specializes in doing natural hair.

He took a paddle brush and a blow dryer to my hair and ripped through all the tangles he could find. I don't usually have a tender scalp, but I'm sitting here 9 hours later and parts of my head are still sore. He ripped out a lot of hair too. The pile on the floor was about the size of a baseball.

The straight style is super smooth and he had good reviews from people I work with, so I decided to test him out.

Has anyone else had this experience when it comes to "natural" hairdressers?

Comments

  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Sempath, I haven't had that experience but it sounds awful! Sorry you went through that. I hope your scalp heals quickly. Baby it!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    So many stylists just rip through tangles, I am only a wavy and have had that for years even when wearing my hair straight. Sounds like you had a particularly bad experience tho.

    TBH healthy hair is not their area of expertise: they spend much of their time heat styling, dying/ highlighting, perming/ relaxing and shampooing all if which are horrible for hair. It's all about the aesthetics.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

    CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Registered Users Posts: 1,583 Curl Neophyte
    I've had this happen to me. Almost every hairstylist that said they knew what they were doing with curly hair decided to brush my hair. They ended up breaking it and ripping through the tangles. It did more harm than good and infuriated me. As I got older, I noticed to look for the brush and if they picked it up, I would immediately ask them not to use it. I feel like that action negates the fact that they know what they're doing with curly hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

    Looking for new products and methods to try!



  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    Not to that extent, but at a haircut I had about six months back the stylist started combing / brushing my hair ... while DRY. Before any of the styling or anything. Bear in mind this was pre-CG so my hair was a dry, damaged mess of hairspray and I could practically hear my hair ripping. Not good!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

    LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

    LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

    UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Registered Users Posts: 1,583 Curl Neophyte
    Not to that extent, but at a haircut I had about six months back the stylist started combing / brushing my hair ... while DRY. Before any of the styling or anything. Bear in mind this was pre-CG so my hair was a dry, damaged mess of hairspray and I could practically hear my hair ripping. Not good!

    That's the worst! I remember getting my hair done once and she brushed it dry. It was so damaging to my already dry hair. The thought of it makes me cringe.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

    Looking for new products and methods to try!



  • SempathSempath Registered Users Posts: 22
    Oh my gosh, I was wondering if I was alone. The guy I went to refused to work with permed hair. He only wanted to do natural hair, so I thought he'd know what he was doing.

    I'm never going back.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    DaniGirl88 wrote: »
    That's the worst! I remember getting my hair done once and she brushed it dry. It was so damaging to my already dry hair. The thought of it makes me cringe.

    It makes me cringe thinking about it now! She was just like 'hi, sit down' and then began ripping my hair lol. I was shell-shocked.

    Sempath wrote: »
    Oh my gosh, I was wondering if I was alone. The guy I went to refused to work with permed hair. He only wanted to do natural hair, so I thought he'd know what he was doing.

    I'm never going back.

    Good call! I also think it's kind of weird / rude he refused to work with permed hair. I think it's rude when any hairdresser refuses to work with any hair. How unprofessional!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

    LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

    LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

    UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    I can understand your feeling that way, but I'd much rather have a stylist refuse to work with my hair than have one lie and say s/he knows how to work with curly hair, when it becomes patently obvious that s/he doesn't. At least with someone who refuses to touch your hair you're not left with damage which has to grow out. I've had stylists tell me they'd trim my ends no more than 1/4 inch, when my hair was below my shoulders, and left with what's now being called a pixie cut because the stylist knew nothing about working with the jump and couldn't get it even until it was terminally short. So I'd lose at least a year's growth trying to get rid of my split ends, and then have the lout tell me, "It's just hair, it'll grow." Not when I keep encountering hairdressers like that!
    Peace,
    Morgan

    Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    I can understand your feeling that way, but I'd much rather have a stylist refuse to work with my hair than have one lie and say s/he knows how to work with curly hair, when it becomes patently obvious that s/he doesn't. At least with someone who refuses to touch your hair you're not left with damage which has to grow out. I've had stylists tell me they'd trim my ends no more than 1/4 inch, when my hair was below my shoulders, and left with what's now being called a pixie cut because the stylist knew nothing about working with the jump and couldn't get it even until it was terminally short. So I'd lose at least a year's growth trying to get rid of my split ends, and then have the lout tell me, "It's just hair, it'll grow." Not when I keep encountering hairdressers like that!

    Thing is, it's one thing saying 'I don't know much about that hairtype so I can't help' than just refusing to work with a specific hairtype. If a hairdresser who predominantly dealt with straight hair told me they couldn't really help me I wouldn't mind, but in this case when he REFUSED to work with permed hair and would only work with 'natural' hair. Since both are curly, it's obviously not because he didn't know how to deal with it, but it seems to be some sort of snobbery instead.

    Also I kind of expect hairdressers to be willing to learn and work with the client. For someone to outright say there's no way they're touching your hair just seems rude to me.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

    LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

    LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

    UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    Sempath wrote: »
    Oh my gosh, I was wondering if I was alone. The guy I went to refused to work with permed hair. He only wanted to do natural hair, so I thought he'd know what he was doing.

    I'm never going back.

    To me, that more sounds like he doesn't know what he is doing, since permed hair has chemicals on it, he probably just doesn't want to deal with knowing more about hair than he needs to. Plus the fact he straightened it, doesn't sound like he knows about curly hair either (as permed hair is curly). Natural does not = straight!!
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Registered Users Posts: 1,583 Curl Neophyte
    I once had a stylist tell me she didn't do "my type of hair" and my husband took offense to it. I didn't though, and was happy she was honest. I didn't want her butchering my hair. I was disappointed though, as I really wanted to just get a trim real quick. But better safe than sorry! Lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

    Looking for new products and methods to try!



  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    It sounds like this stylist doesn't care about hair health. It shouldn't hurt to comb hair, especially if you're paying someone. I haven't had this experience, but I have had a lot of stupid people work on my hair. If you don't feel comfortable, then that is a sign you need to get up from the chair and leave.

    Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • KinkyCoilyCurlsKinkyCoilyCurls Registered Users Posts: 95
    I've definitely had the experience of people claiming to know how to do natural hair, but then they don't really. Stylists seem to care more about getting clients and taking their money than actually being real with them and saying no. Or they honestly think they know what they're doing and because know one tells them otherwise they continue to do the horrible hair care practices. The latter might be because they don't specifically learn to do our hair in beauty school, they believe they should just treat it like straight/loosely curled hair. But that to me is stupid, when you can clearly see you are ripping out hair and tangling hair - clearly YOU are doing something wrong if that is happening. But they have this sick pride in that they are stylists that they won't ask for help, ask if I'm hurting you, or even admit that they don't know what they're doing, and ask you the client how you do your hair because then they feel like they're not a good stylist - and well it doesn't matter how you are, because you aren't a good stylist in my book if you only learn how to do one type of hair. Sorry if this is a bit rant-y.
    Goosefootprint Analysis:
    Hair Strand Thickness
    Root: Fine - Medium Midshaft: Medium Ends: Slightly Coarse

    Hair Elasticity Dry: Normal

    Hair Elasticity Wet: Low

    Porosity
    Roots: Low Midshaft & Ends: Mixture of Normal & Porous
  • KinkyCoilyCurlsKinkyCoilyCurls Registered Users Posts: 95
    Sempath wrote: »
    Oh my gosh, I was wondering if I was alone. The guy I went to refused to work with permed hair. He only wanted to do natural hair, so I thought he'd know what he was doing.

    I'm never going back.

    That's ironic that he refuses to work w/ relaxed hair, yet does not know how to do the hair he wants to do. With the plethora of information on the internet. Naturallycurly/CurlyNikki and other sites plus youtube, their is no excuse. Even as a hairdresser you need to humble yourself and realize you're in over your head and start watching youtube gurus.
    DaniGirl88 wrote: »
    I once had a stylist tell me she didn't do "my type of hair" and my husband took offense to it. I didn't though, and was happy she was honest. I didn't want her butchering my hair. I was disappointed though, as I really wanted to just get a trim real quick. But better safe than sorry! Lol.

    I would've taken offense to it as well, because the way they said it. If they were simply like "I don't know how to work with kinky hair" or coily, whatever they want to call it. Then I'd be fine. I went into a salon once, for my BC actually and the girl was literally afraid to touch my hair. She didn't want to do it and was making a big deal out of it, even making faces at it, until another girl decided to "take the challenge." So I definitely felt pretty ****ty about my hair after that.
    Goosefootprint Analysis:
    Hair Strand Thickness
    Root: Fine - Medium Midshaft: Medium Ends: Slightly Coarse

    Hair Elasticity Dry: Normal

    Hair Elasticity Wet: Low

    Porosity
    Roots: Low Midshaft & Ends: Mixture of Normal & Porous
  • rodricka.ricrodricka.ric Registered Users Posts: 13
    Sempath wrote: »
    I just got my natural hair straightened by a man that claimed he specializes in doing natural hair.

    He took a paddle brush and a blow dryer to my hair and ripped through all the tangles he could find. I don't usually have a tender scalp, but I'm sitting here 9 hours later and parts of my head are still sore. He ripped out a lot of hair too. The pile on the floor was about the size of a baseball.

    The straight style is super smooth and he had good reviews from people I work with, so I decided to test him out.

    Has anyone else had this experience when it comes to "natural" hairdressers?
    I am a stylist & I have had this experience before.

    They do teach us that with ANY hair type you should GENTLY comb/detangle from ends to roots, however I feel a lot of hairstylists are trying to rush through things all the while damaging the clients hair.

    I always made it a point to be cautious & careful & give tips to tell someone how to properly care for whatever hair type they had, whether it be straight or curly or kinky.

    Trust all stylists learn how to properly care for hair, but sorry to say & as you can see not all of them take what they've learned & apply it
    3c//4a//4b
    Low porosity // high density

    1 year transitioning & almost completely natural.

    Collar bone length hair when stretched; still learning the
  • rodricka.ricrodricka.ric Registered Users Posts: 13
    I've definitely had the experience of people claiming to know how to do natural hair, but then they don't really. Stylists seem to care more about getting clients and taking their money than actually being real with them and saying no. Or they honestly think they know what they're doing and because know one tells them otherwise they continue to do the horrible hair care practices. The latter might be because they don't specifically learn to do our hair in beauty school, they believe they should just treat it like straight/loosely curled hair. But that to me is stupid, when you can clearly see you are ripping out hair and tangling hair - clearly YOU are doing something wrong if that is happening. But they have this sick pride in that they are stylists that they won't ask for help, ask if I'm hurting you, or even admit that they don't know what they're doing, and ask you the client how you do your hair because then they feel like they're not a good stylist - and well it doesn't matter how you are, because you aren't a good stylist in my book if you only learn how to do one type of hair. Sorry if this is a bit rant-y.
    We do learn to work with all types of hair in beauty school, & the fragility of it. We do not focus on it as much as we should [hands on], but all the the information is gone over.

    Even so, just because a hair stylist is knowledgeable, every head is different, straight, curly or kinky & each on takes time & experience to learn & really know.

    As a hair stylist i can't tell you how many times I've felt comfortable with a hair type & then get that ONE client whose hair is different & wont respond to what normally works & that day is a new learning experience for me.

    It was a bad experience, but you gotta cut hairstylists some slack. Especially because this natural hair has taken over recently as a wave, where as before not as many people were natural & embracing their curls, not only is it a learning experience for those of us who have chosen to transition, but its new to stylists too.

    I am a stylist who is gentle handed & I ask a lot of questions, which i was taught to do by my senior stylist. Just find a different salon or don't be afraid to tell the stylist how you like you're hair to be handled & cared for, either they do as you've asked OR they dont & you ask for a manager (haha). I've had people sit in my chair & tell me how they like their hair washed, combed etc & i gladly oblige, other just don't care. & Honestly, i've had naturals sit in my chair who tell me i'm too gentle, they feel that if a stylist is not doing WHATEVER it takes to get the hair straight that its not enough & honestly this guy is probably used to working with those girls.

    Again all boils down to communication & finding the right stylist that works with/for you & you're needs.
    3c//4a//4b
    Low porosity // high density

    1 year transitioning & almost completely natural.

    Collar bone length hair when stretched; still learning the
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Registered Users Posts: 1,583 Curl Neophyte
    Sempath wrote: »
    Oh my gosh, I was wondering if I was alone. The guy I went to refused to work with permed hair. He only wanted to do natural hair, so I thought he'd know what he was doing.

    I'm never going back.

    That's ironic that he refuses to work w/ relaxed hair, yet does not know how to do the hair he wants to do. With the plethora of information on the internet. Naturallycurly/CurlyNikki and other sites plus youtube, their is no excuse. Even as a hairdresser you need to humble yourself and realize you're in over your head and start watching youtube gurus.
    DaniGirl88 wrote: »
    I once had a stylist tell me she didn't do "my type of hair" and my husband took offense to it. I didn't though, and was happy she was honest. I didn't want her butchering my hair. I was disappointed though, as I really wanted to just get a trim real quick. But better safe than sorry! Lol.

    I would've taken offense to it as well, because the way they said it. If they were simply like "I don't know how to work with kinky hair" or coily, whatever they want to call it. Then I'd be fine. I went into a salon once, for my BC actually and the girl was literally afraid to touch my hair. She didn't want to do it and was making a big deal out of it, even making faces at it, until another girl decided to "take the challenge." So I definitely felt pretty ****ty about my hair after that.

    You make a very good point! I think I've been more desensitized to it. Which is bad in itself. I would have felt really crappy at that point too! I don't know why people have to make such a big deal about curly/natural hair. I did like her honesty, but it does make you think twice about going to the salon, or at least it did me. Before I found someone who specialized in cutting curly hair, I would always have to ask if people felt comfortable cutting my hair or if they knew how.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

    Looking for new products and methods to try!



  • MarixpressMarixpress Registered Users Posts: 91 Curl Neophyte
    Sempath wrote: »
    Oh my gosh, I was wondering if I was alone. The guy I went to refused to work with permed hair. He only wanted to do natural hair, so I thought he'd know what he was doing.

    I'm never going back.

    I hope you write a bad yelp review too. That sounds so horrible. I feel your pain :(
    Day 1 of Curly Girl method: 10/5/13
    3b Mostly Normal Porosity. Medium Density, Fine to Medium Width, Medium Texture.
    SM Y&B TS and Condish. Ecostyler with Argan oil gel.
    Daughter: Long frizzy Swavy 2a turned Wavy Curvy 2B - thanks to Devachan, Low Porosity, Medium Texture, High Density
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Registered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Neophyte
    So many stylists just rip through tangles, I am only a wavy and have had that for years even when wearing my hair straight. Sounds like you had a particularly bad experience tho.

    TBH healthy hair is not their area of expertise: they spend much of their time heat styling, dying/ highlighting, perming/ relaxing and shampooing all if which are horrible for hair. It's all about the aesthetics.

    I see what you're saying. My view is they're even more aggressive the curlier the hair is. Not only do they have more tangles they feel they need to rip out (ugh), but curly hair is viewed more negatively from the start, something not so cute that is to be conquered, so yeah, it's often treated with unbridled contempt imo.
  • KinkyCoilyCurlsKinkyCoilyCurls Registered Users Posts: 95
    I've definitely had the experience of people claiming to know how to do natural hair, but then they don't really. Stylists seem to care more about getting clients and taking their money than actually being real with them and saying no. Or they honestly think they know what they're doing and because know one tells them otherwise they continue to do the horrible hair care practices. The latter might be because they don't specifically learn to do our hair in beauty school, they believe they should just treat it like straight/loosely curled hair. But that to me is stupid, when you can clearly see you are ripping out hair and tangling hair - clearly YOU are doing something wrong if that is happening. But they have this sick pride in that they are stylists that they won't ask for help, ask if I'm hurting you, or even admit that they don't know what they're doing, and ask you the client how you do your hair because then they feel like they're not a good stylist - and well it doesn't matter how you are, because you aren't a good stylist in my book if you only learn how to do one type of hair. Sorry if this is a bit rant-y.
    We do learn to work with all types of hair in beauty school, & the fragility of it. We do not focus on it as much as we should [hands on], but all the the information is gone over.

    Even so, just because a hair stylist is knowledgeable, every head is different, straight, curly or kinky & each on takes time & experience to learn & really know.

    As a hair stylist i can't tell you how many times I've felt comfortable with a hair type & then get that ONE client whose hair is different & wont respond to what normally works & that day is a new learning experience for me.

    It was a bad experience, but you gotta cut hairstylists some slack. Especially because this natural hair has taken over recently as a wave, where as before not as many people were natural & embracing their curls, not only is it a learning experience for those of us who have chosen to transition, but its new to stylists too.

    I am a stylist who is gentle handed & I ask a lot of questions, which i was taught to do by my senior stylist. Just find a different salon or don't be afraid to tell the stylist how you like you're hair to be handled & cared for, either they do as you've asked OR they dont & you ask for a manager (haha). I've had people sit in my chair & tell me how they like their hair washed, combed etc & i gladly oblige, other just don't care. & Honestly, i've had naturals sit in my chair who tell me i'm too gentle, they feel that if a stylist is not doing WHATEVER it takes to get the hair straight that its not enough & honestly this guy is probably used to working with those girls.

    Again all boils down to communication & finding the right stylist that works with/for you & you're needs.

    I personally don't believe this. Every single stylist I've been to does not know how to work w/ my hair type. Further more, I know people who went to cosmetology school and never learned how to work with my hair type.

    I've been to many stylists and have tried to direct them and they just tell me they know what they're doing. I've heard this experience from many others. Just because you're a good stylist doesn't mean every stylist is. My experiences of going to MANY MANY stylists even when I was relaxed shows that they really don't know much about my hair type. I do try to direct, and I don't want to seem rude. They either reassure me they know what they're doing or that they're the stylist, or etc.

    You are talking about something else when you say products, because even before using products they don't know what they're doing (They don't wash my hair in sections, they detangle dry and from the roots down, the don't detangle before washing, it's just a whole bunch of technical mistakes as opposed to products not working, even one guy was not going to put products in my hair afterwords, I was shocked!). I admit sometimes I don't say anything because it gets so tiring having to direct people all the time and having people/the stylist look at me like I'm crazy.
    Goosefootprint Analysis:
    Hair Strand Thickness
    Root: Fine - Medium Midshaft: Medium Ends: Slightly Coarse

    Hair Elasticity Dry: Normal

    Hair Elasticity Wet: Low

    Porosity
    Roots: Low Midshaft & Ends: Mixture of Normal & Porous
  • KinkyCoilyCurlsKinkyCoilyCurls Registered Users Posts: 95
    Korkscrew wrote: »
    So many stylists just rip through tangles, I am only a wavy and have had that for years even when wearing my hair straight. Sounds like you had a particularly bad experience tho.

    TBH healthy hair is not their area of expertise: they spend much of their time heat styling, dying/ highlighting, perming/ relaxing and shampooing all if which are horrible for hair. It's all about the aesthetics.

    I see what you're saying. My view is they're even more aggressive the curlier the hair is. Not only do they have more tangles they feel they need to rip out (ugh), but curly hair is viewed more negatively from the start, something not so cute that is to be conquered, so yeah, it's often treated with unbridled contempt imo.


    Omg I think this is soooo true.
    Goosefootprint Analysis:
    Hair Strand Thickness
    Root: Fine - Medium Midshaft: Medium Ends: Slightly Coarse

    Hair Elasticity Dry: Normal

    Hair Elasticity Wet: Low

    Porosity
    Roots: Low Midshaft & Ends: Mixture of Normal & Porous
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Registered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Neophyte
    I really wish it weren't. Whenever I've set up a phone consult w/a new (potential) stylist, I've asked questions to try and figure out how comfortable s/he is at working with very curly hair. I also ask what I can expect the stylist to do w/my hair once I'm in her chair. That seems to help avert disasters in most cases. ... That and being very up front about what I do and don't want done.
  • kimrisakimrisa Registered Users Posts: 23
    The same thing happened to me at my local Salon that markets itself as a Deva salon and apparently has "deva trained/certified" stylists. I went to the local salon in Stamford, CT recently in between cuts at my regular Devachan Soho salon just to get some split ends taken care of, and the "senior" deva stylist there told me she wanted to "brush me out" dry after my deva cut. Isn;t that at #1 no-no in the devachan academy? I told her under no circumstances was she to brush my hair (she'd done so before and left my hair a frizzy, damaged mess.) Now I am determined to never go back and not to trust run of the mill salons that claim they are "deva trained.". It's Devachan all the way for me...
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    I worked at a school that offered cosmetology. Like most American cosmetology schools, anything type 3 and above needed to be tamed. And if you had type 4 hair then they felt bad for you. They also don't understand hair texture and porosity, as well as what severely damaged hair looks and feels like for different patterns and textures.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • NayaMooreNayaMoore Registered Users Posts: 60
    So many stylists claim to know how to do natural hair just to get your money. "I do all hair" righttt. The only thing they know to natural hair is relax and style it. None of them know anything about health. As many women that go to the salon every week/every other week you would think so many women wouldnt be walking around with paper thin damaged hair and no edges. I would be embarrassed to say those are my clients and their hair looks a mess.
  • eveumeveum Registered Users Posts: 744 Curl Neophyte
    I only have wavy/curly hair but it's long and wild looking sometimes and I've come to the conclusion that stylists really don't care how rough they are with your hair. Like others have said they only care about the aesthetics of the final result.

    The last time I got my hair cut she took a paddle brush to my hair and tried to comb out all the knots from the top of my hair downwards :cry: I could tell from this point that it was going to be a nightmare. The brush immediately got stuck in my hair and my head got yanked backwards repeatedly. It got tangled again very quickly because her comb when she was cutting it kept getting caught in my hair.

    I think next time I'll have to comb my hair myself beforehand, and then go to the salon looking like a frizzbomb.

    Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost


    Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • SweetRellieSweetRellie Registered Users Posts: 468 Curl Neophyte
    eveum wrote: »
    I only have wavy/curly hair but it's long and wild looking sometimes and I've come to the conclusion that stylists really don't care how rough they are with your hair. Like others have said they only care about the aesthetics of the final result.

    The last time I got my hair cut she took a paddle brush to my hair and tried to comb out all the knots from the top of my hair downwards :cry: I could tell from this point that it was going to be a nightmare. The brush immediately got stuck in my hair and my head got yanked backwards repeatedly. It got tangled again very quickly because her comb when she was cutting it kept getting caught in my hair.

    I think next time I'll have to comb my hair myself beforehand, and then go to the salon looking like a frizzbomb.


    Oh God, that sounds like a nightmare! I definitely would've had to let her know. The whole process sounds so very damaging.
    Thick, highly porous but protein sensitive 4a hair
    Modified Curly Girl Method

    Current Staples
    Cowash/Rinse-Out: Not Your Mother’s Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower & Mango Butter Conditioner
    Shampoo: NYM Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower Shampoo
    DC: Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea & Cupuacu, Fruit Fusion, Superfruit Complex or Manuka Honey lines
    Leave-In: Maui Moisture's Curl Milk or Shea Butter Hair Mask
    Stylers/Creams: Maui Moisture's Curl Smoothie or Camille Rose Naturals’ Sweet Buttercream (kids line)
    Sealants: Maui Moisture's Coconut Milk Weightless Oil Mist
    Scalp Treatment: Alikay Naturals Hair & Scalp Balm; Essential 17 Growth Oil
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    @eveum next time someone does that to you scream. Seriously you needed to get her to stop.
  • anonymous_153995anonymous_153995 Banned Users Posts: 271
    Sempath wrote: »
    I just got my natural hair straightened by a man that claimed he specializes in doing natural hair.

    He took a paddle brush and a blow dryer to my hair and ripped through all the tangles he could find. I don't usually have a tender scalp, but I'm sitting here 9 hours later and parts of my head are still sore. He ripped out a lot of hair too. The pile on the floor was about the size of a baseball.

    The straight style is super smooth and he had good reviews from people I work with, so I decided to test him out.

    Has anyone else had this experience when it comes to "natural" hairdressers?

    omg yes i had this same experience and after he yanked and tugged all my knots out (on dry hair btw) he grabbed his phone and started to film
    me w/o my permission. said it would be on his blog/website. 😠
    going to try this other salon for the first time hopefully this friday...wish me luck!
  • eveumeveum Registered Users Posts: 744 Curl Neophyte
    Wow that is incredibly rude, If that were me I would have stood up and walked out right then.

    Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost


    Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file