Update: Can peppermint tea help your scalp?

My scalp is so itchy and flaky lately. I was looking at my box of peppermint tea and wondering if using it would help my scalp calm down. At the moment I use Dr. Miracle's intensive spot serum because the little tingle in it seems to help the itching but it's really difficult to wash out and I'm forced to use shampoo because of it.
Curl type: 3C/4A
Strand thickness: Fine-Medium-Thick
Porosity: low to medium to high (depends on where on my head)
Density: medium - high
Co-wash :Tresemme's Naturals Conditioner
Moisturizer: Aunt Jackie's Girls Baby Girl Curls: Curling & Twisting Custard
DC: Profectiv Mega Growth Anti-Breaking Strengthing DC
PT: Hair Mayonaise/Coconut Oil
Sealant: Jamican Black Castor oil
Gel: Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No it can't.

However what peppermint tea can do is help stop you being dehydrated. In turn that can stop you over eating.

So if you are a person who doesn't drink enough fluid or over eats drinking more sugar free and nonalcoholic drinks is good for you.
  • Eliz88GEliz88G Posts: 5Registered Users
    A few months ago, my scalp was really itchy and flaky,
    nothing seemed to help, it was worse when I used antidandruff shampoo,
    I spent many months with this problem because I didn´t knew that was causing it..

You need to know what causes your problem, dry scalp, dermatitis, fungus, that will help you to know the proper treatment.

If you have dry scalp oils like coconut,olive...will help you.
    If you have other problem, fungus for example, you may need to see a doctor( because I don´t recommend self-medication)

A brown sugar scrub can help to get rid of flakes
  • asagiasagi Posts: 194Registered Users
    Eliz88G wrote: »
    A few months ago, my scalp was really itchy and flaky,
    nothing seemed to help, it was worse when I used antidandruff shampoo,
    I spent many months with this problem because I didn´t knew that was causing it..

You need to know what causes your problem, dry scalp, dermatitis, fungus, that will help you to know the proper treatment.

If you have dry scalp oils like coconut,olive...will help you.
    If you have other problem, fungus for example, you may need to see a doctor( because I don´t recommend self-medication)

A brown sugar scrub can help to get rid of flakes

Hmmmm I do have eczema but for some reason I never linked it to my scalp problems. I used to get this issue when I was relaxed as well and always where I got stings or burns in the past even though I hadn't gotten any in that touch up. It's one of the reasons I had a set washing schedule. I do think though that I triggered it with my use of a shampoo last week. Ever since I bc my scalp has been fine. Recently though my hair felt like it had build up and my non-sulfrate shampoo didn't change that so I used a sulfrate one. Made sure to wash it out right away and used a very moisturising conditioner afterwards. My hair did feel and look better I'll admit but about an hour later my scalp started itching. It started very mild and I barely noticed it. By the next day however I was surprise at how itchy my scalp felt. Later that evening I passed my hand through my hair and felt actual scabs! What really shocked me was that all those scabs were the exact locations I had my relaxer burns! Heck they felt like relaxer burns. Ever since then those scabs disperse into flakes then reform and my scalp continues to be itchy. It is getting better as time passes with the scabs becoming smaller and thinner each time and the skin there is less sensitive and itchy now. Co-washing seems to actually help along with the dr. miracle oil. Unfortunately coconut oil is drying for me (a pity that) and olive oil doesn't do anything for my scalp. I was hoping to help speed up the healing by trying some sort of tea rinse though. I'll try the sugar scrub.

I really want to understand why on earth my scalp so sensitive to shampoo. I know it can be drying but drying to the point of creating scabs??? I mean I even have to be careful with my usage of the non-sulfrate I have! It's so weird...
  • Eliz88GEliz88G Posts: 5Registered Users
    sorry to hear that, I have never applied a relaxed...only heat .

There are other oils you can use, avocado, castor, almond.

I tried some things in the past months:
    Rinse with ACV, listerine, rosemary
    Aspirin scrub
    Tea tree oil
    Aloe vera gel
    salt and mineral water scrub

if you have inflammation or dryness caused by eczema you can try a rinse with oat milk, green tea or tea tree oil.(home remedies for my aunt, who has eczema)
    Eliz88G wrote: »
    sorry to hear that, I have never applied a relaxed...only heat .

There are other oils you can use, avocado, castor, almond.

I tried some things in the past months:
    Rinse with ACV, listerine, rosemary
    Aspirin scrub
    Tea tree oil
    Aloe vera gel
    salt and mineral water scrub

if you have inflammation or dryness caused by eczema you can try a rinse with oat milk, green tea or tea tree oil.(home remedies for my aunt, who has eczema)
    Thanks so much!
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    I've been dealing with a dry flaky scalp with minimal to moderate itching for a few years now. It's always a lot in the winter but I'll get a few flakes in the warmer months too. I love tea tree oil for many different purposes and tried it on my scalp lots of times but unfortunately it didn't really help my situation. I recently started using lavender oil and I feel like that has made a big difference. I'll give myself a scalp massage with it the night before I wash my hair and that morning I'll massage my scalp again with a mix of olive oil and lavender oil and leave it on for about 10-15 min. and then wash it out. My flakes haven't gone away completely but it's been a big help. I've done the brown sugar scrubs and they do help to a point but be careful that you don't irritate your scalp further with them. I also like doing ACV rinses either once a week or every other week. Good luck!!!
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/
    So just giving an update. My mother encouraged me to try the peppermint tea rinse. We both agreed that it can't really do any harm to try it so I did it today and I have to say my scalp feels much better! I don't know if this will continue but the itching relief is greatly appreciated. I used it on my face also and even my boyfriend commented on it looking clearer. I'm gonna add this rinse to my routine so I'll keep you guys posted on whether these results continue.
    So the itching is almost gone. I'm due to do the tea rinse tomorrow but I have twists in so I'll probably leave it until the weekend. Here's what I experienced after:

1. Next day I noticed that the areas I had the scabs had a light almost flakey looking crust. My scalp felt much better but my hair unfortunately was super dry even though I had deep conditioned directly after the tea rinse. I went 2 days before I couldn't take the dryness anymore and deep conditioned again. My hair felt much better and continued to feel that way for the rest of the week.

2. The flaking on my scalp eventually came out but did not renew themselves like the other times. The skin under them looked lighter than the other parts of my scalp and were very sensitive. The sensitivity became less over the week. I found though that those areas were drier than the rest of my scalp. I actually applied my hydrocortisone which I use on my eczema on those areas. I found it helped greatly.

3. Day before yesterday I did the sugar scrub recommended to me on here and it felt awesome. I mixed the sugar with conditioner though and was very light-handed with the scrubbing and used warm water followed by a blast of cold water to rinse. Dried hair and re-applied my hydrocortisone to those areas whilst making sure not to allow any leave-in conditioner to reach my scalp. Put my hair into twists so I could easily see and care for those areas without my hair in the way. Next day some of the spots had a touch of flaking barely visible. The other areas looked fine. The sensitivity is gone and the itching is very mild.

Comments: I'm very encouraged with these results. While the peppermint tea rinse isn't the only thing I've used I'm convinced that it fast-forwarded my scalp's healing to a point were my hydrocortisone could have taken it from there. I also really loved the sugar scrub. I'll admit I never expected such fast results. Again this is what's working for me and I don't know if it would work for everyone or as fast but I wanted to share it anyway in hopes that maybe someone else might be able to benefit too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file