CurlTalk

Your favorite drugstore gel

My he be has been pooping out on me lately, and Ive been have frizzy 2a hair by the end of the day. So, I was wondering, what is your favorite drugstore gel?

2c/3a
Growing out hair to a little above bsl
pw: ringlets

Comments

• MaybeWavyMaybeWavy Posts: 374Registered Users
    Activate Soft Curls (I think?)

Love the stuff.

My hair is only less curly than yours is but I love it.

That, and good ol' blue Dep sport gel #10.
    2cFii-ish with 3a moments. Always subject to change.
    (\_/) This is Bunny.
    (O.0) Copy Bunny into your signature to help
    (> <) him on his way to world Domination.

I'm voting for Bunny.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    For light hold: L'Oreal Studio Line Tighly Wound spray gel, which I pour b/c I hate the spray cap

For strong hold: HE Body Envy
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • CurlyQTPieCurlyQTPie Posts: 447Registered Users
    I'm really digging the Tightly Wound for the moment.
    3B with some 3a. Fell off but am now back on the CG bandwagon and looking for my HG products.
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    HE Body Envy

Curl Fx Curl Fixative Booster Gel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • katethegreatkatethegreat Posts: 801Registered Users
    unique1193 wrote:
    My he be has been pooping out on me lately, and Ive been have frizzy 2a hair by the end of the day. So, I was wondering, what is your favorite drugstore gel?

i'M HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. This gel was working excellently, then all of a sudden, it....wasn't. :(

I really love FX curl booster gel- it has a lot of hold.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us."
    -Marianne Williamson
  • kjwavykjwavy Posts: 362Registered Users
    I love the BE but it has been warming up here & getting humid, so I'm getting the same results by the afternoon :(

This week, I've been experimenting with the entire B2B Jasmine Curl Refresh line - shampoo, conditioner, & curl activating gel. I've been LOVING these 3 products together this past week, but today, the hold of that gel faded with the rising heat & humidity, too (temp was low 80's, humidity around 50%).

It'll be back to my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] & Biosilk Rock Hard gel really soon, I guess, because NOTHING I've found holds in the heat & humidity like BRHG!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Discovered nc.com in 09/2003

2b~~fine texture~~normal porosity (except for highlights, which are high)~~normal elasticity~~medium density

Shampoo: Still use sulfates, but only on roots
    Rinse out: Deva One C, JC Too Shea, Original Sprouts Deep Conditioner
    Curl Enhancers: KCCC; JC Rocking Ringlets, JC Spiralicious, & Confident Coils
    Styler: BRHG (over any and all curl enhancers) - this is the one product that I never change - absolute HG!!

I

• lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
    Best drugstore gel I've found is the HE SMU. BE left me too frizzy, but SMU gives good body and hold. Having said that, I do prefer B&A, although it might not be the best for the frizzies.
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    Third vote for Fx Special Effects Curl Booster Fixative Gel!!!
  • SmallFrySmallFry Posts: 614Registered Users
    Ok, now I can't just list one... so I have a couple!

LA Looks Sport Gel
    ORS Lock and Twist Gel
    Fantasia IC gel w/ sparklelites
    La Bella Gel (pink one and blue one)
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
  • CelticCurlsCelticCurls Posts: 558Registered Users
    None of the HE gels hold in humidity for me. I've had decent results with LA Looks -- yellow spray gel only though. I pour it out like regular gel.Got2B is also good, but a very strong hold; I only apply it to very wet hair.
    3B, bra-strap length
    laidback, very-modified CGer
    HG: GF Sleek 'n Shine Leave-in; Alagio
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    I really like Loreal Tightly Wound as well.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fthekittenavenger" class="Popup
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
  • DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    could some one post a pic of the FX gel they use cause the one I have tried has zero hold. thanks
    Delma wrote:
    could some one post a pic of the FX gel they use cause the one I have tried has zero hold. thanks

Fx Special Effects Curl Booster Fixative Gel

You can click on the picture in the link for a close up.

And you can click on the ingredients link or just scroll down to compare your bottle's ingredients.

However, ignore the following ingredients: Polyacrylamide , C13-14 Isoparaffin , Laureth-7 , Purified Water Aqua , Chamomile Extract , Fragrance Parfum, which come after FD&C Blue #1 because the one I've been buying for over a year does NOT contain any of these on the label!

I refuse to buy anything containing mineral oil, beeswax or paraffin wax!

The UPC for mine is 0 2279681604 7, so check yours to be sure of the one you're using.
    Thank you so much! That has a totally different name then the one I tried so I'll look for next time I go out.
  • tooj68tooj68 Posts: 471Registered Users
    BTW, Delma--
    Your hair is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    3B, with oodles and oodles of curly hair! :toothy7:
    Summer Faves: Devacare NoPoo & OneC, CF High Humidity Gel.
    2nd day hair: Deva Set Me Up pomade & Mr. Right
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair
    Been CG since 2005 and never looked back!
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    My hair is going soft and undefined by the end of the day too. I"m toying with the idea that it's time to leave out my leave in. It's a bit heavy for warmer humid weather here.
    It's just about time to whip out the hard hold stuff

ETA: for summer I like (drugstore type gel) Dep Sports gel, Hehdg (I have a few left)
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMedusahair%2F" class="Popup

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    Medusa...my hair had been feeling kind of limp so I've been skipping the leave in for the last week or so and it's really perked up.

I'm not really a big gel person but my favorite drugstore gel right now is the Aussie Volume stuff...I like the texture and the scent and it seems to give me good clumping with kind of moderately strong hold.

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
    tooj68 wrote:
    BTW, Delma--
    Your hair is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aw Thank you!!!!!!!!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I've never found anything better than HE Set Me Up in summer humidity. Body Envy is a very close second. For winter, I have been crazy about a cheap but hard-to-find gel -- Hask Pure Shine Love-It-Straight. In spite of the stupid name, this is an excellent gel for curly hair with CG-safe ingredients. It's not as good in humidity as the HE gels, but has better clumping.
  • entipyentipy Posts: 126Registered Users
    I just bought some got2be spiked up gel the other day and tried it for the first time this morning. I also used honey with my conditioner this morning, though, so I'm not sure what made the difference today. My hair seems to have held better throughout the day.

Anyone else used this particular gel? I bought it because it has PVP and PVP/VA in it. (Aren't those the ones listed in CG?)

There are so many good ideas listed here; I don't know which one to try first! I have some HE Set Me Up spray gel that I really like, but I can't find the regular gel at Wal-Mart now. Seems they're sold out every time! So, I just pour the spray stuff in my hands and use it. I don't notice a really big difference between that and the Dep Sport Gel I have, though. So, I guess I'm liking those two pretty well. Jury's still out on this got2be. I might try it again tomorrow with my normal daily routine and see how that goes.
  • CelticCurlsCelticCurls Posts: 558Registered Users
    I like the Got2B. It's got very strong hold. I honestly don't see much difference between it & the very spendy Biosilk RHG in terms of hold. Yep, it's got PVP/VA. Much stronger than any of the HE gels, which are polyquat based: there are many different ones, & some hold up in humidity, some don't. The Dep & most LA Looks only have PVP, which doesn't hold up in humidity very well.
    3B, bra-strap length
    laidback, very-modified CGer
    HG: GF Sleek 'n Shine Leave-in; Alagio
    I tried the Got2Be Spiked Up Gel, briefly. It became very drying, quickly.
    I'm liking the hold with this got2be, too. My hair looked pretty much the same yesterday afternoon as it did yesterday morning. I was impressed! However, I think I can see where it may have a tendency to dry it out a bit. I think I may need a deep treatment of some sort, anyway. I did an ACV rinse on my hair last night and thought it might be best NOT to condition it afterwards. WRONG! Man, my hair was dry dry dry DRY!

Anyway - I *do* like the hold this got2be gives.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    I used the Got2B Spiked up, but I could never get consistent results with it. If I didn't use it for a while, my hair would turn out great the first time with really good curl enhancement. After that, it would go downhill. It was like my hair really liked something in it, but after getting it didn't want any more. :? I got tired of trying to figure out whether it had been long enough for me to use it again, so I tossed what I had left.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I used the Got2Be gel a few times. I thought it was alright, but alas, in the end it just didn't compare to my BRHG. The hold gave out a bit towards the end of the day, I lost some definition and gained some frizz. TBH I'm not sure how much cheaper the Got2Be is anyway, considering the fact that I needed to use a lot of it and just a small blob of BRHG.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • laurabeth33laurabeth33 Posts: 1,443Registered Users
    For me, the Got2B Spiked Up was a One-Hit Wonder. I got amazing, chunky curls for one day exactly. However, I've never been able to duplicate those results. Now it's just messy, dry, and funky (rather than clumpy). The same happened to me with Citre Shine Making Waves Booster Gel, and Citre Shine and Got2B have the same parent company so maybe it's all in the family.
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
    Well, I'm probably giving up the Got2Be Spiked Up. My hair was a dried up MESS last night after I conditioned. I'm thinking G2B must be the culprit because it's the only thing I did different the past two days (other than adding honey to my conditioner Monday morning, but I don't think that would dry out my hair, would it?).

So, is the Biosilk Rock Hard Gel just as good a hold as the Got2Be? Only it doesn't dry out? Because I might want to try that. I really liked the hold I had with Got2Be, but... I can't stand the dry frizzies.
  • starinastarina Posts: 665Registered Users
    LA Looks Sport Gel (blue). I've been using it for years and I still get great results. The hold is incredible. I've tried some of the others mentioned here and they just don't do it for me the way LA Looks does. I have also used the yellow LA Looks and that worked well too.
    I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    honey makes my hair tangly. It doesn't seem to rinse out all the way. I can only do honey two days in a row before I need a few days break. I'm a freak of nature maybe but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMedusahair%2F" class="Popup

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    entipy wrote:
    So, is the Biosilk Rock Hard Gel just as good a hold as the Got2Be?

BRHG has a stronger hold.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls