Braid-out help!

lovebonitalovebonita Posts: 134Registered Users
Today is my first attempt at a braid-out.
This is my normal routine plus what I did for the style:

Friday night I pre-pooed overnight with coconut oil. I finger detangled this week (still need work on that technique lol).

Saturday night I co-washed with Tresseme Naturals (I also have a dye bottle with conditioner, water and tea tree oil that I apply directly to my scalp to battle dryness and flakes). I then DCed with Shea Moisture Raw Shea Deep Treatment Masque for about an hour. After rinsing, I moisturized using the LOC method: Giovanni Direct Leave In, EVOO, and 100% Pure Unrefined African Shea Butter. I put it in a bun and left it alone until Sunday night.

Sunday night I put my hair into 5 French braids with flexi-rods at the ends. I added a little Olive Oil Eco-Styler for hold.

This is the result. I don't hate it. I did notice that I have about 2 more inches of shrinkage and my roots, since I didn't pull the braids very tight, are still my natural curl pattern. Any tips from other Type 3 curlies who do braid-outs??

Comments

• CurlyCitaCurlyCita Posts: 152Registered Users
    When i do my braidouts, i cowash and then condition. If i use my Cantu leave in, i just braid with that while my hair is still wet. When i unbraid, i rub olive oil on my hands first. If i leave my tresemee naturals conditioner in, i will use exo styler olive oil gel on my hair and then braid. I may go back to braiding with my cantu leave in and shea butter (melted) and coconut oil because its cold out. All methods work well for me. I unbraid my hair when its completely dry so usually the next day. Hope this helps and good luck.
    Hair type: 3c/4a, high shrinkage :/, high density,medium porosity. ~1inch to APL stretched. Big Chopped: Oct. 2012
    Routine & Products: Sundays- DC on dry hair w/Cantu Shea Butter Leave in Conditioning Repair Cream & Olive Oil. Wash w/As I am Coconut Cowash. Condtion&detangle w/any VO5 conditoner. Braid in 5-8 braids w/Shea Moisture Smoothie.
    Wear braidout rest of week. Rebraid every night.

MAYcowash w/VO5 conditioner mid-week and rebraid again. I always unbraid w/Coconut oil on hands.
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You and your hair are beautiful!

I loveeeeee doing braid-outs. Good for you for doing french braids, i am still trying to perfect those for myself. When I do braid-outs, I actually just do regular braids all around my hair. I separate my hair into two sections (one on each side) and then braid about 4-6 pieces on each side. Yesterday I did a braid out and tried smaller braids, so about 10 on each side and I absolutely hated it. I prefer bigger braids, the results are much better (for me).

As for the products, I like doing braids on damp hair, freshly washed. I enjoy, like CurlyCita stated, cantu shea butter leave in. I try not to use too much products on each braid because I want them to have volume. If I don't use the cantu, I will use a styling pudding or a gel. So far, I have enjoyed using a gel for the braid out because once my hair is dry and I undo the braids, i can shake it out and the curls have more volume. The gel I enjoy most is KCCC.

Sorry for the long post, I love talking about braid-outs. Actually, I have a question for you. Since you french braid, can you give me some tips on it? I have noticed when I french braid, I forget to pull hair on both sides and I only end up pulling on one. Once the braid gets lower, the french braid appears 'hanging-like' where only one side of my hair is holding onto it, if that makes sense.
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • lovebonitalovebonita Posts: 134Registered Users
    I'm NOT the best braider by any means lol but it definitely is easier to French braid smaller sections and keep everything neat and controlled as opposed to larger areas (at least for me).

My mom used to be a cosmetologist so growing up I had a mannequin head to practice stuff on. Do you have a wig, doll, or friend you can practice on so you can see your hands while you braid? Once you see what it's supposed to look like (your hands while braiding) it gets easier to do it on your own head.
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That's very true! I think I will start practicing more on people. That is great advice on watching the hands. Thank you! And yes smaller French braids are easier!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file