The Non-CG Thread (product recs)

wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
Okay, I know not everyone here follows the CG method. So what non-CG products are working for you? What are your properties? Additionally, if we're talking conditioners or stylers, how do you cleanse to prevent buildup?

Inquiring minds want to know! :sunny:
2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
:angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I use Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition shampoo for dry damaged hair because I dye my hair with permanent color. It seems quite gentle, it's inexpensive and I dilute it with water before I apply it so that whatever sulfate is in it isn't too strong.

I'm doing roller sets for winter because I can't stand rewetting my hair every day which I have to do if I do it curly. For styling I have tons of cg stylers and conditioners which I am trying to use up before I buy anything else. I find Curl Junkie's Curl Rehab the very best conditioner I've ever used.

I'm interested to see what others post. :toothy4:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have a handful of non-CG products that I love. The first is CHS Treatment Shampoo- this is one of those products that will need to be pried out of my cold dead hands. I find this shampoo to be more gentle than many of the sulfate-free cleansers I've tried (and I'm an insatiable product junkie, so I've tried a lot). I've experimented with using it as a daily cleanser and had no issues even after using it daily for a week straight. I normally use it once every week or two, or if I feel like my hair needs a reset. If your hair loves protein and doesn't have issues with mag sulfate, you would probably also like it.

Ouidad Climate Control Gel: this stuff got me through a cruise to the Bahamas and has become a summer staple for me. It doesn't wow me in the winter, so I don't really use in low dews, but it's amazing in higher dew points.

MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream: I layer this under a hard hold gel and the results are fantastic. This is more of a winter product for me, as it's a bit too moisturizing in higher dews.

AG Fast Food Leave-In: I can't use silicones in my regular cleansers or conditioners, but this leave-in is wonderful. Plus, it smells like raspberry jello.

In terms of avoiding buildup, I generally rotate products, so I don't use no -CG products every day. Although I have the sulfate shampoo, I also make sure that my other cleansers (low-poo and cleansing conditioner) have coco betaine fairly high up on the ingredient list. This has worked well at keeping my hair moisturized and still preventing buildup.

Properties are fine texture, thick density, normal porosity and elasticity. Porosity might be higher in some places because I'm growing out pintura highlights that I got when I was a hair model for the Deva Academy last year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Corrina777 wrote: »

AG Fast Food Leave-In: I can't use silicones in my regular cleansers or conditioners, but this leave-in is wonderful. Plus, it smells like raspberry jello.

I love AG Fast Food! It is definitely one of my favorite products.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have been thinking of trying either a conditioner as a leave in or styler that isn't CG. My hair is medium coarse but behaves as if it is coarse, low porosity and high density. My hair is very moisturized but I wonder if light silicones would help weigh my hair down and allow me to not have to wet my hair everyday. My hair is short. I am growing it out, but may have to cut it even shorter to balance the very uneven back. I am experimentung with braidouts and straightening to get through the winter and 6-month grow out phase. I don't want to deal with triangle head longer than I have been. I also realize that I need to use stronger shampoo as my hair builds up easily.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have been thinking of trying either a conditioner as a leave in or styler that isn't CG. My hair is medium coarse but behaves as if it is coarse, low porosity and high density. My hair is very moisturized but I wonder if light silicones would help weigh my hair down and allow me to not have to wet my hair everyday. My hair is short. I am growing it out, but may have to cut it even shorter to balance the very uneven back. I am experimentung with braidouts and straightening to get through the winter and 6-month grow out phase. I don't want to deal with triangle head longer than I have been. I also realize that I need to use stronger shampoo as my hair builds up easily.

You might want to try amodimethicone. It's excellent for targeting and patching up damaged sections of hair, and it's designed to not build up- once it deposits a layer, it actually repels itself. This is the silicone that used to be in Deva One C because of it's beneficial qualities.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks Corrina for the suggestion. I've been CG so long that I think it's psychological now that I am afraid of silicone products. However I used them before without any trouble.

3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am high porosity, fine, thick density, normal elasticity.

I use Giovanni TTTT shampoo once a week to rid of build up, but I just recently bought the Curls cleansing cond. bc cocoamidropyl betaine is the 2nd ingredient. I might start alternating the Giovanni and Curls every other week.
    I am using the Aussie Moist to detangle in the shower. So far, it's been pretty good at detangling, but I might go back to TN since I find the slip a bit better. I still use KCKT as a leave-in or my non-CG Cantu shea butter alone or with a styler. However, sometimes I alternate my CG & Non-CG stylers from KCCC to Curly Twirls Curly Custard or Aunt Jackie's Curl la la.

I decided to go mod-cg about a month ago and I have noticed a significant improvement in how less I need to wash my hair. I also enjoy not feeling limited in choosing a product. I am not saying I just grab whatever, but it's nice not having to disregard something because it has a cone. The only time, so far, that I have noticed build-up was one time I was experimenting and during the week I co-washed with Aussie Moist just to see how my hair would react. It ended up becoming slightly frizzy. I realized that I needed to hang onto my Giovanni and continue to use it 1x a week lol. But see, I think experimenting can be good because now I really know not to do that again lol
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    For the newbies: you don't need sulfates to remove silicones. A low-poo with coco betaine or cocamidopropyl betaine will remove silicones, which is what Samanthascurlz is using.

For more info: What's the Scoop on Silicones?

Samanthascurlz I'm glad you're finding ease and better results with your current routine! I see you use a mixture of CG and non-CG products. Which of your products are currently non-CG? Just to keep any newbies from getting confused on this thread! :)
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

wavydaze wrote: »
    For the newbies: you don't need sulfates to remove silicones. A low-poo with coco betaine or cocamidopropyl betaine will remove silicones, which is what Samanthascurlz is using.

For more info: What's the Scoop on Silicones?

Samanthascurlz I'm glad you're finding ease and better results with your current routine! I see you use a mixture of CG and non-CG products. Which of your products are currently non-CG? Just to keep any newbies from getting confused on this thread! :)

Haha sorry, I tend to get excited and go on in a rant and sometimes not be clear ;-p

Non-CG
    Cantu Shea butter
    Aunt Jackie's Curl la la
    Aussie Moist Conditioner
    Curly Twirls Curling Custard

*These are not used all at once, just interchangeably.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • heyhoheyho Posts: 55Registered Users
    I've settled on using Tresemme Luxurious Moisture conditioner as a leave-in - I don't bother with a rinse out. My properties are all medium. I use a cocamidopropyl betaine shampoo to cleanse - I'm not particularly against using sulfates on my hair, but they make my skin very dry and sore.
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
    I've mentioned this before but my winter HG conditioner is Davines Love Smoothing. It has silicones, so it's not CG. It works magic in my hair in the winter. I'm not using any non-CG stylers at the moment, but that's because the ones my hair loves at the moment happen to be CG.

ETA: I forgot to add that I cleanse with either liquid black soap or V05 clarifying shampoo that's been watered down. I put a blob in a cup and then add warm water. I just pour it over my head and let it run down and then rinse it out. What I like about using the clarifying shampoo is that I can go for days without cleansing after doing that. I'm thinking of buying some other low-residue shampoos that aren't necessarily clarifying and using them that way as well.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Did anyone feel like they were "missing out" while avoiding cones? Is that why you went back or do you like to mix it up?

Also I'm surprised there's not more answers... I know not everyone on the forum is CG! (It's okay it's your time to shine! :toothy1:)

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

• JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
    I didn't feel I was missing out because I never used a lot of cones anyway. I was already at the time using a non-sulfate shampoo. I just eventually realized that if cones truly blocked moisture from getting into my hair, I wouldn't have frizz in the summer. Yes, they can mask the true condition of your hair. However, the whole point of products is to make our hair look good even if it's in bad condition. Yes, they can build up. So can oils and butters and other stuff that is considered "CG". As for sulfate shampoo, I've found that some non-sulfate shampoos can be even more drying. Excessive washing, whether it's with shampoo or conditioner, can be damaging. Not just from what you're washing with, but the constant wetting of the hair. In my opinion, too-hot heat styling and lots of chemical coloring is the real culprit with most damaged hair. I've seen a remarkable difference in my hair since I stopped chemical coloring and bought a good dryer with a true low-heat setting and using it far away from the hair.

Anyway, I just eventually realized that while CG works for a lot of people, if you're still struggling after months of being hard-core CG, then it probably isn't the right method for you. It wasn't for me, and I spent FAR too much money before I finally realized it.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
    It's funny I decided over a week ago to strictly follow the CG method again because I wanted to see if there was a difference in my hair.

I am very happy going back to basics (CG). But it was also enjoyable going to mod-cg. There were times (when I went to mod-cg) that I enjoyed just grabbing a product. But then I kept loading and loading my hair and looking back now, it was definitely build up.

I think one of the great things is being able to experiment. I wanted to experiment with cones again. I did, I enjoyed it, and now I am back to basics (which I also enjoy).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file