Problem hair in dry weather?? Why? Glycerin?

[Anonymous User][Anonymous User] Curl ConnoisseurPosts: 0 Curl Connoisseur
My hair has always been shoulder length or longer since going CG. I was always good with tossing in BSRHG and calling it good (bangs and front sides always ended up in a clip or barrette anyway..but my hair always felt fine.

3 mos ago, I went shorter...to the point where my hair won't go into a pony tail (it's a bob kind of) and now I'm noticing a LOT more. I was doing great with Deva Curl foam and the BLeave In as products... Added Curl Keeper to the mix and has some awesome results, but now...ugh! I am a mess and u don't know why! The only thing that has really changed is the weather...it has gotten way colder and snowy in the past month. Could that be it?

I've played around with different things I have including JessiCurl items (even from a cleanser/condish standpoint) and still am in fail mode. My hair feels like shredded wheat now!!

I noticed GLYCERIN is a common ingredient in ALL of the the things I've been using (that used to work in warmer weather). Could it be that or my R2D2 dryer drying me out??

Any suggestions on other products?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You may need to clarify.
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Glycerin is a potent humectant so can draw water out of the hair in low dew points. Other potentially problematic ingredients include honey, propylene glycol, aloe vera if high on the ingredients list, hydrolysed protein - all are humectants that can be drying if overused. Jessicurl also uses Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) in many if their stylers, again drying if overused.

Many of us need more of the major emollients (fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants) and more oils in winter. These can help hair hold the right amount of water whilst giving softness and shine.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • [Anonymous User][Anonymous User] Curl Connoisseur Posts: 0 Curl Connoisseur
    Oh my! Most of the stuff I use has all of that crap. Ugg! Any suggestions? I'm a tad clueless on ingredients with the exception of the basics.
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You may not need to change every product, potent humectants in your leave in conditioner and styling product are like to be the biggest issue. Many can get away with them in cleansers and rinse out conditioners.

There are some excellent articles on ingredients here on NC by 'curl chemist' Tonya McKay. Also lists of CG friendly products on the Sciencey Hairblog, organised by category (eg. with and without protein).
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,082Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Firefox had given me this link to ingredients a while ago. I saved it on my tabs and refer it to it all the time! So I will pass it onto you. There are a lot more, like she said, but I won't bombard you ;p

Ingredients Commonly Found in Hair-Care Products
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file