Fun breaking social norms

bobbybobby Posts: 781Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I tried posting this thread in this forum last week but it got chopped with the spam so I'll try again:

I don't know how the rest of you feel maybe the best thing I like about having curly hair is breaking social norms. Whether it's real or imagined, I get the perception from some (particularly women) that have curly hair that straightening is better in part to fit the norm. As a guy, I fell into that the line of thinking, "I'm a guy, no long hair on guys" so wore it short, even buzz cut for years until one day the light went on and saw other guys my age losing their hair. That's where I took the approach of "grow it out while I got it."

Whether straight is in or curly is in based on societal norms, I see and hear conflicting things. That can depend on who one talks to. That said, whether through media or what, people have a profile that they want people to fit.

As a guy, I see it as, "I'm a guy with a head of curls. I sometimes even wear accessories like my purple pick or headband. How's that any different that women (present company in these forums excluded) wearing short spiky hair."

Interested in hearing your thoughts ....
2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am caucasian and don't see my waves/ curls as breaking any boundaries. My bright pink-red hair when I am the wrong side of 40 is definitely not the norm tho!

I've had largely positive comments about both aspects of my hairstyle which never happened when it was in a straight ponytail 24/7. Couple of negatives from women whilst my hair is at the damp noodlehead stage, both that it looks unnatural (well duh it's pink I probably don't care).

Nobody suggesting I straighten but a couple of ignoramuses suggesting I comb it. Because, like, I've never tried that.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The first day of orientation at my law school I noticed I was the only girl with curly hair. And by that I mean the only one with curly hair who didn't have it relaxed or straightened. I often wonder what some of my classmates "real" hair looks like. It's a shame that they never let it show. I even heard one girl saying to another "I have super curly hair but I HATE it so I straighten it everyday." I was proud to be the only girl at orientation with curly hair. And, I'm proud that my hair is so healthy. The girls who straighten their hair have really damaged it. I was sitting behind one girl who I was dying to throw conditioner at lol her hair was extremely parched
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:
  • bobbybobby Posts: 781Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I am caucasian and don't see my waves/ curls as breaking any boundaries. My bright pink-red hair when I am the wrong side of 40 is definitely not the norm tho!

I've had largely positive comments about both aspects of my hairstyle which never happened when it was in a straight ponytail 24/7. Couple of negatives from women whilst my hair is at the damp noodlehead stage, both that it looks unnatural (well duh it's pink I probably don't care).

Nobody suggesting I straighten but a couple of ignoramuses suggesting I comb it. Because, like, I've never tried that.

You're right in that how you view breaking norms can be mostly on the feedback you have received. For me,the negative resonated more than the positive and it took me years to see beyond that. As a guy, I found it harder to go against the grain but thankfully I'm beyondthat now. Better late than never.

• yakottayakotta Posts: 41Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can kind of see where you're coming from, not as a curly but as a woman who rocked a pixie for a while. Hair is one of the most visible things about ourselves, so anything different is going to stand out and you kind of have to have the mentality that you are going to own it.
  • bobbybobby Posts: 781Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    yakotta wrote: »
    I can kind of see where you're coming from, not as a curly but as a woman who rocked a pixie for a while. Hair is one of the most visible things about ourselves, so anything different is going to stand out and you kind of have to have the mentality that you are going to own it.

I also think that you reach a certain point in your life where you a) are no longer worried about peer pressure and b) just simply don't care what others think. When I was 14, I had my hair grown out with a full head of waves and curls. I got a lot of compliments but the ones that seemed to resonate most were, "you look like a girl." It was hard to convince me otherwise. Now at 41, I could care less what the cynics say. I'm married with three kids. I don't have to fit any norm. I'll wear my purple pick if I want or hey, get my perm rod set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file