CG Method on a guy with straight hair!

Hi everyone, my name is Scott and I'm from the UK. Firstly I would like to say how informative and helpful this site is!
Now, I have a confession, my hair is straight, medium density and there is a lot of it so it appears thick. For years I have tried my best to make it look nice by using various products both from the drugstore/highstreet and also salon/high end stuff. My hair tends to be naturally dry all over and wiry around the hairline, it also has a lot of volume and some frizz if I leave it to its own devices. I have never truly achieved the results I was aiming for in the past with my hair and because of this I recently decided to do some research online to try and figure out once and for all how to get the results I want. I changed my shampoo to sulphate free and my conditioner to a silicone free variant (L'Oreal EverSleek). I also started using a concoction of natural oils (Redken Diamond Oil Intense) as a leave-in to eliminate frizz and retain moisture. This new routine made a noticeable difference but I'm not completely satisfied with the results. Although my hair appears smoother and doesn't get greasy as quick, the texture and feel of the hair is not as smooth as I'd like it to be. I think that shampoo (any shampoo) is simply too harsh for my hair. In light of this, I have decided to move onto co-washing because I feel this will be gentle enough and will also cleanse my hair sufficiently. I have purchased As I Am Coconut CoWash as my cleanser but have not yet decided on a conditioner. I have a few in mind but my worry is that I will over condition my hair! (I can't bloody win) My question is, If I co-wash and use a moisturising rinse out conditioner afterwards but don't use oils or anything else as a leave-in, do you think that will be enough moisture for my hair to dry smooth and will it retain moisture? I understand that protein is used to counteract over conditioned hair, however, if I can maintain a balance in the first place that would be better. Thank you for reading this far and I hope I have made sense. Any help/advice/product recommendations is/are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Straight hair doesn't frizz unless its badly damaged (bleach or flat ironing say). Any wavy will tell you it's far more likely you have hidden wave you have been brushing straight or cutting too short to see the pattern repeat. Many of us literally had no idea we had anything more than unmanageable poufy 'straight' hair until our thirties or forties. Actually 55% of Europeans have wavy or curly hair.

The Curly Girl method is a series of techniques to encourage wave and curl and control frizz. It's far more than just CO-washing which is not exclusive to wavies and curlies, but is also used by many long hairs. CO- washing is gentle cleansing its not conditioning, it replaces shampoo so you should still use a wash out and/ or leave in conditioner.

The work moisture (=water) is much misused and misunderstood, most actually mean they want better conditioned hair or more emollience (softness. slip, shine). These come from hair health, genetics, and plenty of the major emollients (fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants) plus other conditioning agents such as oils or hydrolysed proteins.

Your first step is to know your hair properties (coarseness, porosity, elasticity) - either have a hair analysis from Goosefootprints on Etsy or read Live Curly Live Free.

Next is to know your true wave pattern. If your hair is very short you may not be able to see this, or is it longer? If so you can try a typing which is basically cleanse your hair then drip dry. No comb, no brush, no towel, no manipulating of any kind.

HTH.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • SFLightfoot83SFLightfoot83 Posts: 7Registered Users
    Hiya Firefox7275, I just want to say thank you for the detailed and informed reply. I really appreciate the advice/help! Without sounding too weird, I am about to look through your posting history and try to take in as much knowledge as possible because from what I can tell, your approach on the subject in general seems to be from a scientific angle which I respect. Thanks again, Scott. :color:
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,305Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Many of us literally had no idea we had anything more than unmanageable poufy 'straight' hair until our thirties or forties. Actually 55% of Europeans have wavy or curly hair.

this was me until I was 40! My mother had to tell me that I had always had curly hair because my hair was cut short as a child and when I started caring for it on my own later on, I treated it as my straight haired sister did hers. I could never figure out why my hair was so terrible in comparison. Everybody was always telling me to comb my hair or brush my hair because it looked ratty after brushing then the curls would try to seperate out and it just looked like I had slept with my head in a bush.

What a relief to realize that my hair really is curly!

sorry scott to take over your thread.

I second the advice given above, you really need to get a hair analysis or to do some reading of the site mentioned.
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file