Need advice on a haircut!

c0mpanionc0mpanion Posts: 40Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hey fellow wavies,

I need some advice for my upcoming visit to the salon. I am in DIRE need of a haircut, but I'm not sure what to tell them to do. I have long hair, it's almost past my armpit area, but I have some pretty bad split ends because I got my hair cut back in March. I'm trying to grow it out longer than whatever I have now and it takes my hair FOREVER to grow. I was thinking to tell them to cut it in layers, but I'm not sure how that would look with long hair. I have really fine, medium density 2c hair with bangs. Any suggestions? Thanks. :brilsmurf:
Mod-CG since 11/24/13! :love6:
Shoulder length, fine, low porosity, medium density, 2b&c/3a.
Likes: Protein, Icequeen method, and occasional clarifying/
low-poos
due to super hard S. FL water!
Dislikes: Too much product, glyercin/oils, heat!
Favorites: GTTTT, EMBC, KCCC, BRHG, HETTM, KCKT!
Experimenting with: CHS CK and cowashing!

Comments

• kdgrunnerkdgrunner Posts: 2Registered Users
    I also have very fine 2b hair and have to say that I'm always ultra-careful with layers. My hair doesn't hold deep layers very well (tends to look mullet-y), so I ALWAYS ask the stylist to go very lightly on them.
    I'd definitely have your stylist cut off all the dead ends, even if it's a little more length than you want to lose -- your hair will look better (and will grow out healthier).
    Good luck!
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair will gain length faster if you keep the ends healthy, don't let them get to the stage of bad splits. Do you practise 'search and destroy' (trimming individual splits yourself on a weekly or monthly basis)?

It's harder to keep layers healthy as you try to grow out your hair, easier to maintain a one length cut. Usually wavy and curly hair does best with very long layers, fine hair can look straggly with too many or too short layers.

Do you know what is causing the splits, is it old damage from before CG or is your hair rubbing on your clothing, car seat, desk chair? Many long hairs practice regular protective up dos from mid length (armpit) onwards.

Are you using proven ingredients to patch repair damage, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA, panthenol?
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    Curltalk is being incredibly INCREDIBLY obnoxious and not letting me post.

But if this goes through, google "What should I tell my stylist" An older thread on nc.com from member Struttswife should come up. It has very useful information from the Curl Whisperer herself. ;)
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list