Frizzy roots - HELP

So this is a problem I've had for a few years and at this point I just don't know what to do anymore. My roots are really frizzy, even when my hair is wet. I'm pretty sure it's not product build-up because I don't apply product to my roots out of the shower and I clarify my hair once a week. I've tried to apply gel and conditioner to it but the gel didn't do anything and the conditioner just made it feel greasy. For the past few months I've been spritzing my hair with water every morning, hoping something of a lighter consistency would help my roots but it hasn't had any effect. My hair is low porosity so that probably has something to do with it. I was thinking maybe a semi-permanent dye would make it more porous but I don't want to needlessly damage my hair. I've included some pictures but they're not very clear and for some reason they're upside down. My hair is low porosity and of a medium texture. Does anyone know what to do with it? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Curly SaraCurly Sara Posts: 183Registered Users
    Low porous hair does not soak moisture easily but dont loose it easily either. Its the opposite with highly porous hair. From your hair description it seems like you have highly porous hair (?) since your roots get frizzy immidiately after wash/spritzong your hair.
    If thats the case you should not spritz your roots with water without applying any moisture and "stretch/lay down" your roots.
    Have you tried to apply leave-in in freshly washed and soaking wet hair then stretch your roots by wearing a headband, a satin scarf or put your your hair in a ponytail/pineapple with a headband/scarf for at least 10 minutes? That works for me.
    Hair type/properties:
    3c hair, high porosity, mediumdensity, low elasticity, fine hair.

Curly hair routine/regime:
    Combine the modified cg-method (low poo) and a modified tightly curly method.
    -Condition and leave in: Aubrey Organics, Giovanni Barzilian keratin and argan oil
    -Sealer: shea butter, Argan, olive and coconutoil
    -Gel: homemade flaxseed gel, Kinky curly custard, Queen Helene Curl royal shaping creme.
  • HeathernatorHeathernator Posts: 45Registered Users
    I have lots of new/baby hairs that no matter what stick up and give me a bit of "frizzy" flyaways at my roots. I got some great advice on here: to learn to accept that that is just my hair and it really is not as bad as you think. :) Nobody else is looking at our hair as closely as we are. On the days when it is really bad I take a tiny bit of gel and then wet my hands. Then take my hands and place them on the areas that are the worst and hold them there for a second. If I use a smoothing type motion it just makes it worse just place hands on hair and hold for a second and that helps a little. Hope that helps! :)
    Fine/Med texture, normal porosity and elasticity (I think)
    2a(maybe 2b on a good day?)
    Current routine:
    Shampoo: Tresemme Smooth & Silky
    Conditioner: Tresemme Smooth & Silky
    Leave-In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Gel: Herbal Essence Set Me Up
    Mousse: Herbal Essence Totally Twisted
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I, too, was going to suggest that it's new growth. Especially, if you're clarifying on a regular basis with a shampoo that doesn't contain ingredients that cause issues. You don't say what products you're using, so it's difficult to really make an informed response. My hair doesn't care for polyquats--especially 4, 7 and 10. They cause frizz when wet. A lot of shampoos have 7 in them.

You may want to read the basic information here Curly Hair Basics | Live Curly Live Free It helps you with hair properties and choosing ingredients for your hair.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I found that when that was happening to me, it was new growth and it eventually faded into the rest of my hair when it got long enough. If that makes sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file