Help with Diffusing

OrpheusOrpheus Posts: 55Registered Users
Hi All

I've never been a fan of diffusing. My scalp really doesn't like the heat, even low heat. And if I try and dry on cool I might as well air dry.
This hasnt been a problem as I have an hour commute in the morning and by the time I get to work my hair is either dry or 90% there. I usually get really nice results.
Now here is the problem. I just got a new job that is only a ten minute commute. This is great for my family but not for my hair. My hair looks pretty gross until I'm able to scrunch out the crunch.
I've been thinking of getting a bonnet dryer as diffusing doesn't seem to work well for me. Aside from my scalp being dried out my hair is always super poofy when I diffuse. I seem to lose all definition.
Any suggestions would be great?
I have 2b/c, fine, high density, medium porosity hair just past chin length now, looking to grow to past shoulder.
I use a tshirt to scrunch out water and then clip at my roots forlift and air dry for 1 to 3 hours. Time depends on if I'm in the car with the heater on or at home just hanging out. :)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Many people need more conditioner and/ or styling product when diffusing. Its normal to stop before hair is dry to reduce frizz or pouf. Diffusing or hood drying on cool should be faster than air drying due to the movement of air. With my old dryer I used to alternate between low and cool to reduce the heat exposure.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have the Connair HH 400. 26$ on amazon. But it takes a while and can be drying.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • OrpheusOrpheus Posts: 55Registered Users
    Thanks.
    I tried diffusing today for about 25 mins total. Got about 50% dry and it only took about an hour to dry all the way. Trying LI lately as my hair has been so dry with this winter weather. Usually i am just a flax seed gel girl. Didn't get near as much poof as before though so maybe the LI is the key. I avoided it for so long as it weighed my waves diwn too much.
    Maybe I'll try drying a bit longer next time and a bit more LI.
    When I lay down for bed tonight will be the scalp test.

• jakrussel3jakrussel3 Posts: 423Registered Users
    How do you diffuse? Pixie diffusing? Upside down, right side up?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair Properties: 2A/2B, Medium-fine, Normal porosity, Normal elasticity, Medium density
    Low Poo: DevaCare, Yes to Cuc's
    Rinse Out: DevaCare One Condition, Yes to Cuc's
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Lavender, Yes to Carrots Scalp Conditioner
    Curl Cream: AG ReCoil, Organix Moroccan Oil Curl Cream
    Gel/Mousse: Sweet Curls Elixirs FSG w/ Mag Sulfate added, Sweet Curls Elixirs hard hold gel, DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam, Aquage Uplifting Foam
    Protein: Spiral Solutions Protein Spray for daily use
    Pixie diffuse, right side up with head turned side to side. Upside down makes my hair CRAZY.

I took the plung and ordered Laila Ali LADR5604 Ionic Soft Bonnet Dryer Purple and Black
    from Canada Beauty Supply.
    Hoping it works for me. I've got a couple of weeks to experiment before my new job starts too.

• wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    Hmmm... for me I've found that some gels just hold up better to diffusing than others. Volumax Mega and Ouidad Climate Control are two that give me very good results diffusing. I don't use leave-in, but I don't live in a dry climate so I'm not sure if skipping the leave-in would be good for you... but it might be worth a try. I think the type of gel is most important though. Let me know how the soft bonnet works out; I've been itching to get one myself!
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
    I've tried lots of different gels and my hair only responds to flax seed gel. Woukd really love to find a good store bought alternative as sometimes having to make more gel doesn't fit into my schedule, working full-time and having two kids under 4. I'll take a look at the gels your suggested.
    I did LI again totday but tried to only get my ends.
    I'll keep you all posted on the bonnet dryer. A VISA gift card is the only reason mine was ordered.

Orpheus: Sweet Curls Elixirs on Etsy will make you flaxseed gel with or without additives (eg. xanthan gum for more hold and for curl boosting). She also does flaxseed curl cream which is a sort of halfway house between the gel and a light conditioner. Also okra gel.

The store owner, Alissa, is a member of NC and her products are raved about by many on the Wavy Hair Community. Anything can be customised and she is apparently super helpful. Jessicurl also uses flaxseed gel in many of their stylers.

Flaxseed gel is a film former, you might look at other film formers as an alternative. I can see why commercial 'chemical' gels might not work without leave in conditioner since they can be alkaline to neutral pH so won't smooth/ may raise the cuticle.

In summer/ moderate to higher dews you might try a leave in conditioner without oil but with hydrolysed protein, this can give volume and increase curl instead of weighing hair down. Hydrolysed protein is a film former BTW.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    FireFox
    Thanks so much. I've seen people talk about yhe sweet curl elixir gels but I am think my husband wouldn't approve of the esty purchase when I make my own. All be it not as good im sure :).
    I've looked into Jessicurl products but they have so many gels I'm not sure which one would work like my thickened homemade stuff.
    I did not know hydrolysed protien was a film former too.
    Thanks for all suggestions and help!
    I'm off to Etsy stalk Sweet Curl Elixirs for the millionth time. Maybe I can talk the hubby into a purchase ;)

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sweet Curls Elixir also know n as Voodoo potion or Witch's brew on wavy circles. It's that good if you are an FSG person.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Just don't tell hubby you are buying the same stuff you make yourself. Anyway if you message Alissa about add ins you are getting the benefit of her research on percentages, pH, combinations, preservatives.

Or take the chance to purchase the okra gel or flax curl cream! If it wasn't So pricey to ship internationally (we have to pay import tax and a fee to the courier for paying the tax!) I'd have caved and bought them all myself by now.

I'm Canadian so I might get some duty and tax too. I'll keep drooling though.

• HydePrydeHydePryde Posts: 9Registered Users
    My hair sounds pretty similar to yours, OP, and the Laila Ali dryer doesn't work well for me at all. Takes at least an hour to dry, because it traps the humidity inside the soft bonnet. Just ordered the devafuser attachment, so fingers crossed.
    HydePryde
    I'm hoping I dont have the same issue but we will waut and see.
    I've actually had a bit better luck with diffusing with my bowl diffuser the past couple days. My second day hair is awesome today actually. I looked at the divafuser as well but went with the soft bonnet. If it doesn't work I'll just do a kijiji sell I guess. Takes my hair an hour to dry in the car so I'm expevting a bit of a wait around. I'll do my make up and watch some netflix while I wait. Thanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file