WTF? How do I fix crazy split ends?

I have now been officially natural for a year. When I first started, I would primarily do wash n gos. I was not too concerned with dews and glycerin. I just would style my hair and get really good hair days. (See Avatar)

Now, the health of my hair has been put into question. I am getting crazy split ends. I mean I was doing a search and destroy for single strand knots while braiding my hair and I saw a bunch of split ends. Like I had one strand that was splitting in the middle of the stand.

Why is this happening to me? Is it a protein thing? I do deep condition regularly and I try to balance my protein use, but I do not quite have the hang of it. What should I do?

3A/B/C-MD-MT-APL (straight)-NL(curly)-N/HP

:thumbup:Total PJ #NoShame:help:
COW: TN, As I Am Coconut CoWash
SF Poos: CD Chocolat, SM Yucca and Baobab
RO: OH Honey Hemp Conditioner, AG Re:Coil, AO HSR, AO GPB, CJ BSC, Aussie Moist
LI: OH Honey Dew, SM CES, CJ BA&OO, AG Fast Food
Stylers: EcoStyler Gel (Olive Oil or Super Protein), KMF Upper Management Gel, UFD CM, CJ CQ
DT: NHIH&TM, CD Manoi Mask
LPT: AO GPB, CJ BSC
PRT: CJ Repair Me!

Comments

• moosegrl_86moosegrl_86 Posts: 403Registered Users
    Do you stretch your hair a lot? I'm dealing with same splits. I posted a little over a year ago about them, but I'll probably just need a cut. I'd suggest you cut above the split, otherwise the split might travel and those strands with latch on to others and cause tangles.

As for the single strand knots, just cut them. Sometimes that just come with longer, tightly curled hair. Make sure your ends are smoothed and sealed when you braid or style. I used to seal my ends with aloe vera gel or a pomade so the hair wouldn't wrap around itself.
    Whoop whoop! :hello1:
    imager.php?id=1557276 GIFSoup
    Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
    4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick
  • CurlsNCrassCurlsNCrass Posts: 49Registered Users
    I do not stretch my hair a lot. Only recently have I done a roller set and when I am wearing braids as a protective style, the braiding stretches out my hair. But I only straighten my hair once or twice a year. I am really one of those wash n go girls.

I figured with the single strand knots that I would just do search and destroys for those and take out whatever I can feel and see. I never thought to use pomade for my ends. I will start doing that. I use pomade to scrunch out the crunch when I use gels.

Thank you moosegrl_86. The question is how to I prevent this to not have it getting worse?

Stylers: EcoStyler Gel (Olive Oil or Super Protein), KMF Upper Management Gel, UFD CM, CJ CQ
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    More likely to be mechanical or heat damage than solely product choice. Impatient detangling, tight or repetitive styles/ excessive manipulation? A single session with an overly hot flat iron on even slightly damp hair can cause irreparable damage (Google 'bubble hair'). Hair must be bone dry before you start, safest to dry the day before.

Really the protein-moisture balance is poorly named, if not overused protein is actually a weak humectant so moisturising (add or increase water). It would be better called the protein-conditioning or protein-emollience balance.

I notice many naturals emphasise oils and butters, but use few basic conditioning agents/ major emollients (fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants). These patch repair, give softness slip shine, act as weak humectants and increase elasticity. All your conditioners should be rich in these basic workhorses.

I highly recommend the Natural Haven blog for science based articles on hydrolysed protein, deep conditioning, heat styling, damage and other issues.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • CurlsNCrassCurlsNCrass Posts: 49Registered Users
    More likely to be mechanical or heat damage than solely product choice. Impatient detangling, tight or repetitive styles/ excessive manipulation? A single session with an overly hot flat iron on even slightly damp hair can cause irreparable damage (Google 'bubble hair'). Hair must be bone dry before you start, safest to dry the day before.

Really the protein-moisture balance is poorly named, if not overused protein is actually a weak humectant so moisturising (add or increase water). It would be better called the protein-conditioning or protein-emollience balance.

I notice many naturals emphasise oils and butters, but use few basic conditioning agents/ major emollients (fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants). These patch repair, give softness slip shine, act as weak humectants and increase elasticity. All your conditioners should be rich in these basic workhorses.

I highly recommend the Natural Haven blog for science based articles on hydrolysed protein, deep conditioning, heat styling, damage and other issues.

I love the Natural Haven Blog. Thanks for the suggested reading.

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You are welcome! Natural Haven is a great blog, very readable.

If you find the science useful/ interesting you might also like the 'curl chemist' articles by Tonya McKay here on NC. There is also a book that is supposed to be excellent 'Science of Black Hair'.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file