Newbie, desperate for help

Hello everyone! Im new here, as well as a newbie to the curlie world. I damaged my hair pretty badly with direct heat, my temples are horribly broken off. So i decided to chop it all off.. and start over with just my new growth . My hair is real dry and brittle. I just started oiling my hair and scalp with castor oil mixed with olive oil. Can anyone give me any recipes to help bring life back to my hair, grow it out, and thicken it back up? Im so embarrased at the condition of my hair, but it always grows back, so im not worried at all. Just need some help getting on the right road to healthy natural curls. I took the quiz, and it says im a 4b. And suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-R740C using CurlTalk App

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    What are your hair properties (coarseness, porosity, elasticity)? Work with these when choosing ingredients and products. Coarse hair tends not to do well with hydrolysed protein, it can make hair brittle and harder for example.

Key ingredients for softness and slip are the major emollients (fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants) - any true conditioner is rich in these. The major emollients are also weak humectants so help hair hold the right amount of water. Also natural liquid oils, either straight up or as an ingredient in a conditioner, for softness slip and sealing in moisture (water).

There is no scientific evidence that any oils speed growth when applied to the scalp, personally I wouldn't put oleic acid (olive and other oils) near my skin because it has many proven negative effects. Massage and regular physical activity may both increase growth by increasing blood circulation.

Ensure your diet is balanced and nutrient dense, no pills supplement for wholefoods.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • BruchildaBruchilda Registered Users Posts: 126
    everything firefox said.

If you mean kitcen recipes, too much effort for nothing.
    Use oils like sealants to lock moisture in, especially if you have african american hair like you said. (4b). It;s highly likely that they sit on the hair shaft without penetrating (except coconut oil)

Castor oil is very thick and not easily washable without shampoo. I would switch to other oils, but you can always experiment to see what works for you.
    You should determine first of all the type of your hair (not curl classification)
    I would suggest to follow a co-wash method, no cones-no shampoo, that is beneficial for every hair type.

There are a few blogs held by afro-haired women, very very informative. They will help you understand the properties of your hair and how to properly condiotion it and take care of it
    Two of them (my favorites) are CulryNikki.com and the Natural Haven.

Keep in mind to have a balanced diet with adequet amount of protein and veggies.
  • MzKinkyKoilMzKinkyKoil Registered Users Posts: 7
    My hair isnt really coarse, it curls tighter the longer it gets. Im not sure about porosity. Right now the oils i use are castor oil, sweet almond, evoo, and coconut mixed with water in a spray bottle. I use cantu grow strong strengthening treatment leave in for moisture. Im also taking biotin.

Mz. Kinky Koil(4a/4b)

PRODUCTS USED AND HAIRCARE REGIMEN:

1.) Cantu Co-wash every 2-3 days
    2.) Cantu Leave-in Conditioning Repair Cream mixed with evoo and co for daily use
    3.) Mixed water, evoo, and co to use as a daily spritzer
    4.) Deep protein condition with mayo, raw egg, co, and evoo biweekly
    5.) ACV rinse biweekly
    6.) Massage scalp 2-3 times per day to promote circulation and growth

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file