La Danse du ventre...

danigirldanigirl Posts: 59Registered Users
are there any curly girls on here who belly dance? i have just started and find it amazing, a total workout for your entire body. do you have any tips for beginners?
3a/some 3b
"I talk to myself every once in awhile. Give myself very good advice. Sometimes, I even take it"

Comments

• CurlyCaseyCurlyCasey Posts: 224Registered Users
    I bought a bellydancing tape a few months back. It was a little challenging, but I've danced for my entire life so it was probably a little easier for me than for people who haven't. I forgot what the name of it was, but I know I bought it from Amazon.com for about 13 dollars. It would probably make you lose weight because it really makes you sweat, but I got bored with it and didn't keep it up. It does make you feel pretty sexy, though! :wink:
    3a/3b mix of ringlets and spiral curls
    BWC Rosemary Mint Tea Tree Conditioner,
    Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner,
    ***Aloe Vera Gel***
    Simplicity is best, at least for my hair. I co-wash every two days or so with the BWC and use the AOHR as a rinse-out when I need moisture. On other days, I just water wash, and I use AV gel every day to style. I air-dry and don't brush or comb my hair.

• firelilyfirelily Posts: 1,298Registered Users
    I've been belly dancing on and off for about 10 years now. I love it, although I don't always have the time or money for lessons.

My biggest tip to you is to just have fun with it, and try not to get too caught up in scene politics.

www.bhuz.com is a good resource. On their forum, they have a swap board, wherein people sell used costumes.

There's also a bunch of forums on www.tribe.net devoted to belly dance. You can probably find a tribe for belly dance in your region.

If you have specific questions, I may be able to answer them.
    Lots and lots of fine 3b-ish hair.
    DevaCurl currently, but exploring new products.
    Love the hair!
  • heartsandstarsheartsandstars Posts: 3Registered Users
    I have been belly dancing for a little over a year. It is a great workout for your entire body. Just practice as much as your can at home. Catch plenty of workshops in your area. They are really fun and you get to learn a lot of stuff from other teachers besides the one you see weekly. Also watch as many performance dvds as you can!
  • La wavyLa wavy Posts: 52Registered Users
    Any suggestions for a beginner instructional dvd? There seem to be a million out there!
    Hmmm, I can suggest some videos, but none of them are beginner.

Right now I'm really enjoying Rachel Brice'sYoga Isolations & Drills for Belly Dance DVD, you might be able to follow along with that.

I also recently got Ariellah's Contemporary Bellydance and Yoga Conditioning, although I haven't watched it through yet (only done the yoga portion), so I don't know what level it's at.

I can ask around for you. Is there a style you're most interested in?
    Love the hair!
    You know I've only taken a couple of classes and I'm not even sure what style they were. I just know that I really loved it! I seem to be somewhat coordinated so perhaps that Rachel Brice video would work for me.

I'll also check out the sites you've mentioned. What style of Belly dance do you do?
    Err, I guess I do tribal fusion? I'm kind of eclectic, and am in a troupe that does tribal fusion, but each of the members performs other styles solo (except for me, I'm not quite ready for solo work yet).

Some video suggestions from my troupe:

Veena and Neena Mystic Belly Dance
    Instructional Bellydance with Jillina, Level 1
    An Introduction to Bellydance Technique by Nourhan Sharif
    Love the hair!
    Thanks for the suggestions. I know the Bellydance twins, are here in L.A. and give workshops. I'm really loving the class I started...it's pretty basic. The teacher described her style as "eclectic" as well. Can't believe what an amazing workout it is!
    Awesome! Belly dance is wonderful in so many ways.
    Love the hair!
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    great post! i bought bellydance by dolphina at borders a couple of months ago and it's a great resource..
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file