Lorraine Massey no longer at Devachan

MonicaXSMonicaXS Posts: 4Registered Users
I called Devachan the other day and was surprised to hear that Lorraine is 'no longer behind the chair'. A friend who works there and he said that due to in-fighting between the partners (I assume with Lorraine vs Denise DeSilva and Shari Harbinger) Lorraine has been bought out of her share of the salon. The receptionist would only tell me that she is fine and it just 'due to personal reasons' Lorraine is not cutting hair at any of the Devachan salons anymore, but is still involved with education and PR. Anyone knows where she is cutting now?

Comments

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm really sorry to hear this, and hope someone will post the information.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh no! :(

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,350Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i bet devachan ends up being like a chain haircutting place.... it will be interesting to see how it unfolds. for some reason i've always thought that lorraine was not the one watering down products/training..... we'll see.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wow. So sad.
    That's my impression too (that it wasn't Lorraine).
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
  • Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Posts: 400Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rbb wrote: »
    i bet devachan ends up being like a chain haircutting place.... it will be interesting to see how it unfolds. for some reason i've always thought that lorraine was not the one watering down products/training..... we'll see.

You are probably right, since she is the "guru" behind the CG method. After reading her book, I felt she really loved curly hair and those who rock it.

It is usually those who jump on the bandwagon later that mess it up for everyone.

She probably left to keep the "purity" of her convictions, or at least I hope so.
    My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
    3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
    Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
    Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
    Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
    Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
    Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
    Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    This makes me sad :sad1:
    I haven't used Deva products for awhile but the CG method really helped me love my hair.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Not sure if this is 100% accurate but I heard they were bought out by a bigger company (I want to say Loreal). Lorraine has been pushed to be less and less involved and if you noticed a lot of the names of gels and such changed to further distance from her association. There again, don't know if that's entirely true. Its sad though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
    here is an article i just read online about new investors in devacurl/devachan:

Tengram Capital Partners Announces Investment in DevaCurl

in the article it calls denis da silva as the founder of devacurl. i do not know this as a fact, but everything i've ever read or heard is that lorraine massey is the founder, denis and shari were partners. it always seemed to me that lorraine created the deva cut, the cg care for curly hair.....
    if they bought her out and then got new investors?????? is that what happened?????

• RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rbb wrote: »
    here is an article i just read online about new investors in devacurl/devachan:

Tengram Capital Partners Announces Investment in DevaCurl

in the article it calls denis da silva as the founder of devacurl. i do not know this as a fact, but everything i've ever read or heard is that lorraine massey is the founder, denis and shari were partners. it always seemed to me that lorraine created the deva cut, the cg care for curly hair.....
    if they bought her out and then got new investors?????? is that what happened?????

Ah ha. That's who I heard about. I knew it was some company that was buying out/merging but couldn't recall who. And I have heard previously Denis being listed as founder. Such a shame.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    There is a new "guild" forming called Curly Artistry. I wonder if she is going in with them. I know she met with them back in August.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • MonicaXSMonicaXS Posts: 4Registered Users
    Ah, interesting, I've heard more - actually it was Denis that did a majority of the work building the Devachan salon and Devacurl company, he had already run products and salons in Brazil and showed Lorraine the ropes to build the business. If Lorraine really was the majority owner, she would not have had to sell, when you own and run a business it is your decision what to do
    Lorraine still made millions of dollars on the deal though so I'm not sure I feel so bad, maybe that was more important to her than the opportunity to work and grow with the new business partners
    he may have been the 'business-head' partner, and they may have had equal shares with shari (that's just about money to invest) but it always seemed to me that lorraine was the 'deva' concept person, the deva cut, products.
    in any new business, someone has an idea/concept and generally then pair up with people who have the 'business chip.'

and, maybe lorraine wanted out.

• MonicaXSMonicaXS Posts: 4Registered Users
    Regardless, it just seems very fishy that the company hasn't made any public announcements on the changes in who is involved and Lorraine hasn't said anything about it on her Curly Girl Facebook Page or Devachan Facebook Page. This reminds me of when they had silicone in the DevaCurl products for over five years, then changed the ingredients, and then no one, including Lorraine, openly communicated about the changes and if anything was somewhat rude about it. (//jillipoo.blogspot.com/2009/04/lorraine-massey-update.html) Overall not very considerate or kind to your loyal curly customers
    Lorraine was "The Original Curly Girl." Before there was Devachan, there was Lorraine, working out how to care for, cut and style curly hair. It was about simplicity, "the Deva Three Step:" wash, condition, style.

They went from NoPoo/LoPoo, One Condition, and AnGEL/ArcAngel to more products, to massive numbers of products that seem to be rolling out faster than they can introduce them. That seems to me to be much more about "how to grow a business" than to Curly Girling.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,681Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Well it's a shame but it seems to always happen when something gets too big, too popular, all about money, and less about the original ideas.
    She is still one of my hair idols and I certainly appreciate all she's done for the curly world.

The same can pretty much be said about this very website and forum. As it got bigger, it got less personal, less about individuals, more about selling the 'name', growing the advertizing base, adding lots of different sections to the website and the forum, more rules, etc. Some things are an improvement, some are not. Nothing unusual there. Just how it is. And again, I certainly appreciate those who started this website and made things better for curlies.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That is a complaint of the Philosophy brand. When the sold products have quadrupled and some that are lived are discontinued almost immediately.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • MerryCurlMerryCurl Posts: 1Registered Users
    If you Google
    Tengram Capital Partners Invest in DevaCurl
    Colin Walsh President
    Lots of info

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file