CurlTalk

Did you call your baby by name before he/she was born??

shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
We already have a name picked out and I do call him River when I am talking about him like BEING here, but I feel kind of silly calling him by name when I am talking about him moving or something NOW. Everyone aroudn me calls him by name when they talk/ask about him/me: "Is River hungry or what?" when I am pigging out,etc. I will usually say, "The baby...." Did you feel that way?
A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey

Comments

• geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    We didn't find out the gender, and though we picked out 2 names, we did not tell anyone. So we just spoke about "the baby".
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't imagine talking about the baby other than saying "the baby" but then again, I'm not that far along!
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    geeky wrote:
    We didn't find out the gender, and though we picked out 2 names, we did not tell anyone. So we just spoke about "the baby".

Same here. "The baby" is what the baby goes by. :lol:
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users
    We shared the name when we found out the gender, but it does feel strange when our family members use the name. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I still mainly say "the baby."
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
    medussa wrote:
    geeky wrote:

I think he was "the baby" till he was 3 or 4 months old, as a matter of fact.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users
    I think we called him Xander or Alexander even when he was a fetus. I vaguelly remember a few other people doing so as well. Others called him "the baby."
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • cajuncurlscajuncurls Posts: 270Registered Users
    Everyone calls it a "he." If this baby turns out to be a girl, my whole family and all my co-workers will be shocked!
    Did you do it for love? Did you do it for money? Did you do it for spite? Did you think you had to, honey?
    - Eagles

age.png

age.png
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I had names picked out in advance each time, and I knew the gender 3 out of 4 times I was pregnant, but I never called the baby anything other than "the baby" until it was born. It just sounds really weird to me when people do that.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    geeky wrote:
    medussa wrote:
    geeky wrote:

I think he was "the baby" till he was 3 or 4 months old, as a matter of fact.

My 2 year old is still "the baby". :D
    (Not all the time, of course)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Usually it's "said child" or "the kid". On occasion "hey you" or some cutesey name.
  • curlymelcurlymel Posts: 359Registered Users
    We said "baby" early on, but then we alternated the two names we liked best. I think that helped us choose the name we wanted. Then we called her by that name until she was born.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymel%2F" class="Popup Password: curls
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    curlymel wrote:
    We said "baby" early on, but then we alternated the two names we liked best. I think that helped us choose the name we wanted. Then we called her by that name until she was born.

Your baby is so freakin' cute!!!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users
    We say "the baby", and we said "the baby" w/ B.

It TOTALLY annoys me when people call the baby by a name when they're still pregnant. I don't know why it annoys me. I have no reason to let it annoy me other than the fact that I get annoyed by stupid things. Probably for the same reason the phrase "WE'RE pregnant" annoys me.

With me I didn't have B's name picked out until month 8. Sure, I THOUGHT I had her name picked out, but hormones later in pregnancy make you do funny things, and I changed it at the last minute. I guess I think it's silly b/c the baby isn't ACTUALLY named that yet.

Plus, it gives way too much of a personal feeling, and connection to it while it's just a fetus. That's why we wait until it's here, and everythings a-okay before we actually name it.

Sorry, that was probably more info than you wanted. Blame it on my 3rd trimester hormones.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    babywavy wrote:
    It TOTALLY annoys me when people call the baby by a name when they're still pregnant. I don't know why it annoys me. I have no reason to let it annoy me other than the fact that I get annoyed by stupid things. Probably for the same reason the phrase "WE'RE pregnant" annoys me.

I'm the same way babywavy. I typed a whole response to this thread yesterday but it never went through because NC was being wonky for me.

No offense to anyone who does/did call their baby by name before it's born, but it REALLY creeps me out when people do it. My sister-in-law had her third baby at the end of December, and had signed the baby's name on all their Christmas cards, before she was even born!

It may be because I'm superstitious, but I also feel weird about having a name picked out at all before the baby's born. I'm okay with having a "probably" name, or narrowing it down to 2 with one being more likely, but I would never want anything with the baby's name on it before he/she is born. Just feels weird/wrong to me.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    PixieCurl wrote:
    babywavy wrote:

I'm the same way babywavy. I typed a whole response to this thread yesterday but it never went through because NC was being wonky for me.

No offense to anyone who does/did call their baby by name before it's born, but it REALLY creeps me out when people do it. My sister-in-law had her third baby at the end of December, and had signed the baby's name on all their Christmas cards, before she was even born!

It may be because I'm superstitious, but I also feel weird about having a name picked out at all before the baby's born. I'm okay with having a "probably" name, or narrowing it down to 2 with one being more likely, but I would never want anything with the baby's name on it before he/she is born. Just feels weird/wrong to me.

I am the same way. I think because I am superstitious. And also a h8r.

geeky wrote:

Must be a Jewish thing :lol:
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    PixieCurl wrote:
    geeky wrote:

Then I must be Jewish by association, because I feel the same way. :lol:
    medussa wrote:
    PixieCurl wrote:
    geeky wrote:

Then I must be Jewish by association, because I feel the same way. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users
    PixieCurl wrote:
    geeky wrote:

Nah, because I'm a TOTAL hater. I always say to hubby "you know I have to hate"

• AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I'm not Jewish either but I also don't believe in naming an unborn baby - I think many cultures have this (medussa, I guess it's also a Latin thing?) We have a boys' name picked out and a tentative girls' one so sometimes we will use them more jokingly when referring to the future ie, "Little x and x are going to Catholic school whether they like it or not, and they are NOT allowed to date in high school," but rarely, and we never refer to the child in the womb by those names.

We don't plan to find out the gender anyway, so we can't use a name definitely in any case. We had the ultrasound on Wednesday and saw the baby and baby has VERY long legs (like my husband), so now baby's name for now is "Little Long Legs." It's always been "the baby", "little baby," "sweetie baby", or "da baby" said in a cutesie type of voice.

Babywavy, I also can't stand when people say "We're pregnant!"
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

I was kind of joking about the Jewish thing, but I do think Amneris is right that it could be cultural to be superstitious. Like how Jews aren't supposed to have a shower or buy anything for the baby before he/she is born (though my sister didn't follow it that closely, nor will I).
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    PixieCurl wrote:
    I was kind of joking about the Jewish thing, but I do think Amneris is right that it could be cultural to be superstitious. Like how Jews aren't supposed to have a shower or buy anything for the baby before he/she is born (though my sister didn't follow it that closely, nor will I).

It's definitely cultural, and Jews are not the only ones. Part of it is superstition, part is common sense, IMO.
    If anything were to happen to a baby of mine during a pregnancy, I would find a completely set up nursery in the house unbearable, so we kept the stuff to a bare minimum and kept it at my in-laws'. I saw it as not so much superstition as a reminder that you really don't know what will happen and not to count your chickens before they hatch. Sounds kind of morbid, but it really wasn't for me. I tried to take this attitude about the baby in general and to not have any specific expectations about what it would be like since I really had no idea.

Having an excuse to not have a baby shower was a huge relief for me, because I think they are hideous.

• AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    geeky wrote:
    PixieCurl wrote:

It's definitely cultural, and Jews are not the only ones. Part of it is superstition, part is common sense, IMO.
    If anything were to happen to a baby of mine during a pregnancy, I would find a completely set up nursery in the house unbearable, so we kept the stuff to a bare minimum and kept it at my in-laws'. I saw it as not so much superstition as a reminder that you really don't know what will happen and not to count your chickens before they hatch. Sounds kind of morbid, but it really wasn't for me. I tried to take this attitude about the baby in general and to not have any specific expectations about what it would be like since I really had no idea.

Having an excuse to not have a baby shower was a huge relief for me, because I think they are hideous.

Yep, we don't keep baby stuff around either. Anything we need or are given goes to my parents' house and we are getting the minimum amount of stuff until after baby is born. Our culture doesn't have showers, but people do give gifts and money once the baby is born and/or for the christening.

My best friend had a silent miscarriage near the end of her 1st trimester... before that she got super excited and got a crib, bedding, set up a nursery, ordered a ton of maternity clothes and baby clothes, etc. etc. etc. plus told everyone she knew, even if she only knew them casually, and then she had to come home from her D&C and look at all the stuff, and to this day still gets inquiries and e-mails and calls as to how the baby is. Then her husband decided that they would not try again until she had been at a full time job for a few months. She still is not working months after the miscarriage, so they won't be trying any time soon and she still has a ton of baby stuff. She gave a lot of the clothes to me just so she doesn't have to come across them any more. That was a very good example to me of what NOT to do.

I even felt weird looking at baby at the ultrasound.... it felt kind of wrong to me, like an invasion of the baby's world, especially since he seemed so bothered by it.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    we didn't want to know the gender either time. so we used "he" or "the baby" as generic references.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    We had him named as soon as we knew the gender 9we actually had both names picked out by the time i was 3.5 months)..I have always called him the baby though, or little man, even now i rarely call him by his name.

We were in a weird situation with my showers, i found out about his condition when i was 7 months and my showers were planned for a month later. many people asked if i still wanted a shower, and why i was still setting up him room if there was a chance that he would not come home (at best this condition has a 70% survival rate from the 1st surgery alone, and even then, some live those months in the hospital between surgery one and two and then do not survive #2) Without a doubt i kept going with this pregancy and everything along with it.

To me, not having the shower was saying there was a chance he would not come home. There was never a doubt in my mind that I think that had a lot to do with his survival through all of this, we never thought that he would not make it, even when the doctors were calling in the chaplin, I refused to believe that my child would die before he got home. The showers and the room all helped to get through that 5 weeks he was in teh hospital, yes coming home to it all would have been hard, but i to me by not doing all that, i was telling everyone there was a chance my child would not make it.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • HairproductjunkieHairproductjunkie Posts: 363Registered Users
    At the risk of getting h8ed, I will confess that I do call my baby by her name sometimes. :D

I don't call her by that all of the time. I say a lot of "the baby." But she is a person, and she already has a personality with likes and dislikes, so I treat her as such. In addition, we're so close to having her, that I feel like we should be calling her by her real name.
    GuardianB wrote:
    Southern gals rock :!:
    deezee - you mentioned that you found out about his condition - could you tell me how you found out?

Poopsie wrote:
    At the risk of getting h8ed, I will confess that I do call my baby by her name sometimes. :D

I don't call her by that all of the time. I say a lot of "the baby." But she is a person, and she already has a personality with likes and dislikes, so I treat her as such. In addition, we're so close to having her, that I feel like we should be calling her by her real name.

I won't h8 on you. If it works for you, that's fine. It's just not for me.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • HairproductjunkieHairproductjunkie Posts: 363Registered Users
    PixieCurl wrote:
    I won't h8 on you. If it works for you, that's fine. It's just not for me.

Oh, I completely understand! There are things that other parents-to-be do that I think are completely ridiculous. I was just kidding about the h8-ing. :D
    GuardianB wrote:
    Southern gals rock :!:
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users
    We found out we were having a boy therefore we knew the name...Charles V. But we knew Chas would go by a nickname instead of Charles. We kept the nickname a secret until he was born so we always said "the baby".

My problem was that DH and I had long discussions over whether to call him Chas or Chase. We decided we like Chas...but a few times I called him Chase after he was born...because people asked us how we came up with the name Chas...so we had to tell the story of all our discussions...then I just ended up being tongue tied.

Someone mentioned that they used "the baby" after the little one was here for three or 4 months. I did this too. I had a hard time switching from "the baby" to Chas. Funny!!!

Thankfully now, I'm all straight on my child's name. I'm such a bad mother. :oops: