Wavy Winter Woes

hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
Is anyone else's hair just really BLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH lately?? Lol I can't think of a better way to describe it!! My waves were doing awesome throughout the summer and most of autumn and I can still get decent results here and there but for the most part, I can't get my hair to look as good as it had been in the warmer and more humid months. I know this is a common problem especially if you have weak waves like me but it's always so discouraging. I'm thinking of just taking a break for the most part and just combing my hair straight and letting it air-dry and then putting it up. It doesn't come out all that great looking that way either but at least I'm not stressing over how to make my waves look their best. Le sigh!!!!!
2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
- Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/

Comments

• OrpheusOrpheus Posts: 55Registered Users
    I feel the same way. Every couple of wash days my hair looks amazing but the majority of the time it's pretty meh. I'm still trying to figure this thing out. It will have been a year being CG for me in a couple of days and I stil don't have great hair all the time. I'm ok with it though. When I used to blow dry and straighten my hair it was never perfect. I always had meh days so at least now there are good days. Lol hang in there and do what you gotta do to keep for pulling your hair out. I did about two weeks of combing straight in March or April as my hair was driving me mental. Then was back at it with better, more consistent results. Maybe a break is all you need to revive your waves and you patience?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
  • KauaiMareCurlKauaiMareCurl Posts: 317Registered Users
    Started CG on 1 January 2013, and while I was wearing my 2c/3a hair "natural," it was frizzy and unruly (for the most part). I immediately saw results, but by fall of this year, I felt like I had really cracked the code for my hair. Then, winter hit and with it some incredibly low dew points here in Colorado and its been meh. However, it's still better than it was pre-CG, I just no longer seem to be able to get third day hair anymore and second day hair is questionable. It's a work in progress
  • kdgrunnerkdgrunner Posts: 2Registered Users
    Definitely feeling this…
    I went CG about a year and half ago and made it (mostly) successfully through a CA winter. I moved to Seattle this year, and my waves were great this summer and are somewhere between blah and non-existent lately. Any suggestions or solutions would be very much appreciated.
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yup. I went from curly to wavy and flat -__-
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yup! My hair and scalp have been driving me crazy lately. I had been living in the PNW until this month and the low dews and heating have made my scalp really itchy and flaky. My hair is thick and needs a good trim...
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair isn't doing too bad. Xmas day my hair refused to dry but when it finally did it looked good with volume, definition and limited frizz. Windy days are killing me tho.

I am back on the coconut oil soaks to reduce porosity/ increase elasticity (anti humectant) as these were sorely neglected over the summer. Cut down on the hydrolysed protein (a humectant) in my leave in conditioner. Also had an overdue trim.

Other than that I am using a basic conditioner and basic gel, and working on techniques and timing. I think we can all get into convoluted regimes involving two conditioners and two stylers with numerous ingredients apiece and no longer know what does what.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one!!!!! I gave up on doing any kind of CG a while ago because 1) I didn't really notice any kind of difference (there's a strong chance I wasn't doing it properly though!) and 2) I got tired of reading ingredients all the time which is something I have to do anyway because I can't use products with gluten or soy. It just got to be a big headache even being mod-CG. I guess I'm still considered mod because I mostly use a sulfate-free shampoo but I don't bother with checking whether my hair products contain sulfates or 'cones. Anyhoo, I think I will just take a break and let my hair be for a while and see what happens. Hopefully when the warm weather hits again, my waves will make a happy appearance!!

On the topic of a dry scalp, this is something I've been dealing with for several years too and it's really annoying. I do the brown sugar scrubs and ACV rinses and I still get the flakes. I just tried something the other day and I feel it helped a lot. About 20 min before I washed my hair I massaged my scalp with a little bit of olive oil mixed with a few drops of lavender essential oil. I felt like it really helped hydrate my scalp and cut down on those evil flakes!!!!!:tweety:

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

• jakrussel3jakrussel3 Posts: 423Registered Users
    Yup. when the dews drop and winter hits, I have to change what products I use and limit glycerin as much as possible. That helps, but I recently found that applying coconut oil to my hair overnight before I shower helps a ton too. My hair really likes it. I apply it to my hair, put my hair up in a pineapple, put a tshirt on my pillow and go to bed. Wash out with low poo the next morning.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair Properties: 2A/2B, Medium-fine, Normal porosity, Normal elasticity, Medium density
    Low Poo: DevaCare, Yes to Cuc's
    Rinse Out: DevaCare One Condition, Yes to Cuc's
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Lavender, Yes to Carrots Scalp Conditioner
    Curl Cream: AG ReCoil, Organix Moroccan Oil Curl Cream
    Gel/Mousse: Sweet Curls Elixirs FSG w/ Mag Sulfate added, Sweet Curls Elixirs hard hold gel, DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam, Aquage Uplifting Foam
    Protein: Spiral Solutions Protein Spray for daily use
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Simple dry scalp (xerosis) is relatively uncommon, is this definitely the medical diagnosis?

You can certainly loosen flakes with scalp oilings, but oleic acid is a known skin barrier disruptor, penetration enhancer and irritant in seborrhoeic dermatitis so could be counter productive. Ditto exfoliating the scalp with granular scrubs is irritating so could worsen any form of dermatitis.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • HairObsessedHairObsessed Posts: 138Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm definitely feeling this since it's winter and my hair's length really stretches out my already weak waves.:roll:

Whenever I get sick of styling my hair wavy. I use a little more leave-in than usual, a gel with a weaker hold, comb it straight and let it air dry. It usually ends up a voluminous "straight" (1B/1C) with minimal frizz.

I've also had a lot of fun with braids and updos lately.
    Wave Pattern: 2A
    Hair Properties: Normal/Low Porosity, Medium Density, Medium Texture w/Fine Straight Underlayer
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, Cure Care
    Low-poo: Renpure Brazilian Keratin
    Rinse Out & Leave In: Tresemme Naturals
    Gel: LA Looks Mega Mega Hold Gel, Garnier Fructis Spray Gel
  • mandymaemandymae Posts: 150Registered Users
    I can relate to everyone's frustration with the low dew blues. My 2B/2C hair is more 2A/2B with the winter air. I did get an amazon gift card for Christmas and will try some CJ products to see if that might bring back some curl!

I am definitely struggling with finding proper products for winter. I read the article "The 411 on dew points," but am finding it difficult to use with the dew points where I live. The article said low dews are those 15-30 degrees. I would personally love it if the dew points were that high! The next week in MN the dew points will be below 0 (in F, not C). Any thoughts?
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Mines getting really dry. I think I'm going to try minimal until dews come back up if I can stand it. Today I washed
    With SMC&H and SSCC as RO. I'm trying Tresemme Flawless Curls hydration lotion as a leave in on ends and scrunched in Sweet curls FSG. Cool diffused briefly then clipped and air dried. Very long loose wave but at least it doesn't feel as dry as it has been. ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1388260443.185070.jpg
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Simple dry scalp (xerosis) is relatively uncommon, is this definitely the medical diagnosis?

You can certainly loosen flakes with scalp oilings, but oleic acid is a known skin barrier disruptor, penetration enhancer and irritant in seborrhoeic dermatitis so could be counter productive. Ditto exfoliating the scalp with granular scrubs is irritating so could worsen any form of dermatitis.

I honestly have no clue what's behind my dry scalp. I've been unemployed since July and have no health insurance so I'm not able to get a professional diagnosis. I can cut back on the scrubs and see if that helps reduce irritation...the lavender oil seems to be good for me though.:afro:

Stylers-

• SaMmIe10SaMmIe10 Posts: 243Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been really struggling with winter woes too!! I am trying to deep condition more often but that hasn't really helped. I was at my in-laws who live in New Hampshire this weekend and my hair actually turned out great. I don't know why, because it was freezing and low dew points. Maybe their water is better than mine at home? I also tried squeezing in products, like Chupie posted a while back, which could have helped too.

Either way I am with you all with the struggle!
    Hair Type: Combo of 2A, 2B and 2C ... with a weird straight underlayer :dontknow:
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Low Poo: Yes To Cucumbers Color Protection Shampoo
    Cowash: VO5 Moisture Milks
    Styler: KCCC
    Gel: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel, Tigi Bed Head Creative Genius gel

Started CG 9/10/13
  • mysterycurlsmysterycurls Posts: 63Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Coming out of lurkdom to join you in frustration. Yesterday I had a pretty good hair day - it looked good but felt dry though. Today, yeah - blah. Feels dry. I've been doing DTs more often too, and it's helping but lately it seems my hair either feels too soften and undefined or defined and dry. Would it be nice to have soft and defined hair. Ugh.
    2b/c, medium-coarse, high-density, medium-porosity, CG since 2011.
    Co-wash: Suave/ VO5
    RO: Yes to Cucumbers, GVPCB, Tresemme Naturals
    LI: GVP CB, Yes to Cucumbers
    Sealant: Argan, Grapeseed, Apricot Kernal (still working on it)
    Styler: GF Pure Clean, HETT, Volumax
    DT: Ion Effective Care, GVPCB, Yes to Cucumbers

Experimenting with Curly Kinks ReNew, Coil Jam and Satin Roots. Also FSG.
    I actually had some pretty decent results this past week but dang, does the back of my hair look so weak compared to the front!!! It's depressing!

Stylers-

Hippie chic that's me all the time.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    I've finally imbraced the hard hold gel over my fsg and im impressed. I'm finding that my second day hair is mucho vetter than first day in the winter. Im hoping the hard hold over fsg experiment will continue to do well for my hair.
    Hippiechic and chupie,
    I don't look at yhe back of my head for this very reason. It is flat/2a on top and 2c at the nape of my neck. I just look in the mirror and imagine the back looks as good as the front. Lol that is when the front looks good. ;)

Wow sorry for the typos. Dang posting from my phone.

Lol!! I actually kind if say that in one of my videos.
    Orpheus wrote: »
    I've finally imbraced the hard hold gel over my fsg and im impressed. I'm finding that my second day hair is mucho vetter than first day in the winter. Im hoping the hard hold over fsg experiment will continue to do well for my hair.
    Hippiechic and chupie,
    I don't look at yhe back of my head for this very reason. It is flat/2a on top and 2c at the nape of my neck. I just look in the mirror and imagine the back looks as good as the front. Lol that is when the front looks good. ;)

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to just pretend the back of my hair doesn't exist! Orpheus, what gel have you started using?

Stylers-

Hippiechic
    I am trying Giovanni LA Naturals. I like it. It is one of the only ones I've seen discussed here that I can find locally.
    I used to ignore the back of my head when it was straighter too. My hair didn't go this wavy until after having my first child.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file