Cannot find the right product for my hair!

alicia.brzakalicia.brzak Posts: 3Registered Users
Hi! I'm new here and just found this site recently. I wasn't a big product user when I was younger but have not had much luck finding something as I am letting my hair be natural more.

I am a 2a most of the time with some 2b on good days. I have low porosity, medium width and high density. Looking at the info to identify my hair type I noticed that for 2a it says lighter products but for high density it says heavier! I've tried mousse, spray gel, creme, etc and can't find anything that will define/encourage my curl with just diffusing to dry.

Any suggestions would be so helpful! Thanks a bunch.

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lighter for low porosity too. Have you tried flaxseed gel or okra gel?
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • OrpheusOrpheus Posts: 55Registered Users
    I second the flaxseed gel. It is the only product that gives me consistent results. I'm a 2b/c with some wonderful ringlets on good days, in the under layers of course ;). My hair is very fine as well. I've tried heavier products and some light cremes and I get flat omphless hair. I make my own fsg. I add sea salt to encourage my curls but some find it drying.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
  • WavyMartyWavyMarty Posts: 6Registered Users
    Sounds like we might be hair twins!

This was what I tried last night and it worked for me!
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/168571-excited-lurker.html

I use receiving blankets (baby) as towels for my hair.
  • yakottayakotta Posts: 41Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't speak to flaxseed gel, but I've been having luck by just buying a ton of products, saving the receipts, and taking back everything I don't like. CVS drugstores and Target have great return policies--they'll take stuff back even if its open and used at no hassle. Just my two cents.
  • HeathernatorHeathernator Posts: 45Registered Users
    I just started using mousse again and I have been really happy with the results. Right now I apply a tiny bit of Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie instead of leave in. Then scrunch in some Herbal Essence Totally Twisted mousse and diffuse upside down. I apply the smoothie when my hair is dripping wet and will scrunch in a little more water if need be. This really helps make nice clumps. Then I gently scrunch out some of the excess water and then scrunch in the mousse. Good luck! :)
    Fine/Med texture, normal porosity and elasticity (I think)
    2a(maybe 2b on a good day?)
    Current routine:
    Shampoo: Tresemme Smooth & Silky
    Conditioner: Tresemme Smooth & Silky
    Leave-In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Gel: Herbal Essence Set Me Up
    Mousse: Herbal Essence Totally Twisted
  • alicia.brzakalicia.brzak Posts: 3Registered Users
    WavyMarty wrote: »

Why the receiving blankets for towels? Also, noticed CG on your link not sure what that is! (Sorry I'm a newbie)
  • alicia.brzakalicia.brzak Posts: 3Registered Users
    Orpheus wrote: »
    I second the flaxseed gel. It is the only product that gives me consistent results. I'm a 2b/c with some wonderful ringlets on good days, in the under layers of course ;). My hair is very fine as well. I've tried heavier products and some light cremes and I get flat omphless hair. I make my own fsg. I add sea salt to encourage my curls but some find it drying.

Do you have a good recipe for fsg?
  • OrpheusOrpheus Posts: 55Registered Users
    Alicia
    I do about a cup of flaxseeds to 2 cups of water. I add about a tbsp of sea salt to the water before I add the flaxseeds. I simmer the flaxseeds until you get a whitish froth on top. Stir often if not constantly. Continue stiring and simmering for about 5 minutes. I strain through a knee high panty hose over an empty mason jar. I then boil down for about 10 minutes, as I like a thicker gel. I find it easier to work with. I take it off the heat and add 10 drops of orange oil and about 4 of lemon. Mix and then transfer to short mason jars, the 1 cup size that is wide and short. They make it easier for use I find. But any container you can clean thoroughly.
    I then keep it in the fridge to preserve.
    My gel is brown or tinted but when I had lighter hair it never left a colour in my light gingered hair. Just as a side note. :) hope that helps. Experiment and have fun. Flaxseeds are cheap. Don't worry if the first few batches aren't perfect. Also you'll need to usr a lot of gel compared to commercially available ones. You hair should sound squelchy. Don't worry. Your hair will dry very crunchy but don't worry the crunch will scrunch out well and your hair will be so shiny. :)

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    WavyMarty wrote: »

Why the receiving blankets for towels? Also, noticed CG on your link not sure what that is! (Sorry I'm a newbie)

CG stands for the Curly Girl method. It's a product that does not have some of the ingredients like silicones that may build up and make your hair limp or frizzy.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file