What I'm I doing wrong? I feel like pulling a britney

JuJuJuJu Posts: 38Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I posted this on the general board, but this is around my hair type so I thought I would post hear as well. My hair will not stop breaking. No relaxers, no heat styling. I did a major chop in the summer of 2005, but my hair continued to break....so I cut that all off in july 06. March 07, and my hair is still brittle and breaking. What gives? I've been trying to grow my hair out for soo long, it's frustrating. I've been having a problem with brittle nails as well, so I think it may all be related. I'm going to take MSM and see if that helps, I tried biotin, and that didn't help with my nails or hair.
It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation

Comments

• heavengirl410heavengirl410 Posts: 821Registered Users
    what products are you using? Do any contain protein?
  • foxycus02foxycus02 Posts: 918Registered Users
    You should list the products and your routine. Also, you should incorporate a good multivitamin: GNC's Mega women or something of the sort.

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...

comic-p.jpg
  • masscurlymasscurly Posts: 297Registered Users
    You might want to consult a dermatologist and get them to run some tests to make sure your issue isn't internal. they can check your hormones, etc. They can also do a scalp biopsy to see if there's something going on with the your hair. it's pretty detailed. they can even pull a strand of hair and examine it. hope that helps
    Hair type: 4a/b...

Constantly seeking the perfect product combinations. I just want healthy and manageable hair!!!

Natural hair photo journey, starting October 2006: http://public.fotki.com/masscurly/
    password: healthyhair
  • Sun-ReiSun-Rei Posts: 275Registered Users
    You should also be sure you're getting enough water. Dry nails will break. Dry hair will break. Dry skin will itch...you get the idea. Water and healthy fats (omega-3, etc) keep your body's moisture levels intact. A good dermatologist will ask the right questions and give you the info you need. Don't give up!
  • ewemeeweme Posts: 6Registered Users
    I am having a similar problem. Someone noted that drinking water helps. Although, I've been doing plenty of that lately, so I wonder if that's my problem.

My ends seem to bead though, even after I've had a fresh trim. Anyone know what that's about?
  • shonniecoilsshonniecoils Posts: 19Registered Users
    I agree with foxy above. It's really important that you incorporate a good multivitamin. Also try taking B complex. HTH
    pen-spring to coffee stirrer sized coils
    Last relaxer 11/06
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Ps 139:14
  • JuJuJuJu Posts: 38Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you for the replies. I really don't use anything special on my hair at the moment. I wash with any generic shampoo and condition with pantene pro v natural and relaxed hair conditioner, gel it, and pull it back into a pony tail. I have decided to cut it all off though, it looks really terrible and dry at the moment, my hair didn't even look this bad when I had relaxers.
    It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation
  • Sun-ReiSun-Rei Posts: 275Registered Users
    Before you cut it try using a different shampoo and conditioner. Pantene is HORRIBLE. THe shampoo has sulfates (drying), the conditioner has silicones and mineral oil -- ewww. Then, depending on the gel you're using, you could be drying your hair with alcohols or just making it feel dry with protein build-up. Although you think what you're doing is nothing special, I am sure reading through a few posts on here will show you that the wrong products can make you think your hair is a lot worse than it really is. Please someone who knows more than I do chime in and help what seems to be an easy fix. :cry:
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    Sun-Rei wrote:
    Before you cut it try using a different shampoo and conditioner. Pantene is HORRIBLE. THe shampoo has sulfates (drying), the conditioner has silicones and mineral oil -- ewww. Then, depending on the gel you're using, you could be drying your hair with alcohols or just making it feel dry with protein build-up. Although you think what you're doing is nothing special, I am sure reading through a few posts on here will show you that the wrong products can make you think your hair is a lot worse than it really is.

AMEN!!!

pantene is satan. i work at a salon and when people come in with jacked up hair (as far as health is concerned) 99% of the time its from a non medical problem, like using bad products or someone burning their hair with relaxer or something like that. and since you dont get relaxers, chances are its the not so good products.

you should stay away from drug store shampoos and conditioners, but if your budget wont allow that, definetly stay away from products with sodium laurel/laureth sulfate in it. any products with alcohol listed as one of the top 3 ingredients should be avoided too. oh and the constant ponytails could be encouraging the breakage as well. check out this board or the 3c board for some good product recommendations. good luck!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    JuJu wrote:
    Thank you for the replies. I really don't use anything special on my hair at the moment. I wash with any generic shampoo and condition with pantene pro v natural and relaxed hair conditioner, gel it, and pull it back into a pony tail. I have decided to cut it all off though, it looks really terrible and dry at the moment, my hair didn't even look this bad when I had relaxers.

ITA with others -- Pantene gets horrible reviews. Before you cut, try changing up your product. If you must shampoo try a non-sulfate one. Or better yet condition wash with a non-silicone containing conditioner. Do some major deep treatments (homemade is fine - coconut milk/conditioner/oil/honey) and I bet your hair will bounce back after a month of this. Stop using anything with mineral oil/parafin/silicones/petrolatum

ETA - re drugstore shamppoos conditioners - There are a few that are good. If you have a Trader Joes nearby - get the TJ Nourish conditoner. Try Cream of Nature shampoo (not the conditioner); Suave naturals are good for condition washing but I think something more moisturizing is called for for a rinseout/detangler. Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine or Smooth n Shine. L'oreal Vive Nutrigloss for medium to long curly hair (new/no cones); [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence Moisture balancing conditioner[/buylink].
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users

ETA - re drugstore shamppoos conditioners - There are a few that are good. If you have a Trader Joes nearby - get the TJ Nourish conditoner. Try Cream of Nature shampoo (not the conditioner); Suave naturals are good for condition washing but I think something more moisturizing is called for for a rinseout/detangler. Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine or Smooth n Shine. L'oreal Vive Nutrigloss for medium to long curly hair (new/no cones); [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence Moisture balancing conditioner[/buylink].

just for clarity- this is a professional product, not a drugstrore conditioner
  • sohaircrazysohaircrazy Posts: 42Registered Users
    Sun-Rei wrote:
    You should also be sure you're getting enough water. Dry nails will break. Dry hair will break. Dry skin will itch...you get the idea. Water and healthy fats (omega-3, etc) keep your body's moisture levels intact. A good dermatologist will ask the right questions and give you the info you need. Don't give up!

ditto!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file