RC color advice

ClaritaClarita Posts: 198Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
After years of using semi-permanent haircolor (natural instincts or Loreal color spa), I really want to return to my natural dark brown shade so I can grow it long without visible roots. My current color is a medium reddish/golden brown, but since the ends are lighter due to color fading it looks a bit brassy. After not coloring for several months, I'm finding my natural roots are a cooler, more neutral dark brown shade which really clashes with the colored part.

I was given advice on the RC site to use the coffee brown color for 5-10 minutes to achieve a neutral med/dark brown shade. I would obviously do a strand test first, but based on posts I've read RC color tends to turn out very dark. The #5 coffee brown matches my natural color, but since my ends are so much lighter, I'm worried I'll end up with jet black hair!

Sorry for all the background info; on to my question. I'm considering trying the light chestnut shade instead since this seems to be the next lightest shade without any red or golden undertones. Would this shade be more appropriate to achieve a med./dark brown color?

ETA: I just re-opened my fotki albums for those who want to see what my current color looks like. :)
Texture: Fine
Porosity: Low
Elasticity: Low
Density: Medium/High...I think

~~Lots of Little S-Curls and Corkscrews~~

Comments

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    As I wait for your photos to load, I'll answer.

Without seeing your color yet, I will say that I used to use Coffee Brown. If you go to my Highlights album, that's the color I was using then. Now I use either Light Chestnut on the gray roots, or Golden Chestnut on roots and ends.

It probably wouldn't hurt to start with the Light Chestnut, although the Coffee Brown is not ultra dark. But you could try the lighter shade, then use the darker if it's not close enough. If you want to save postage, you could order both. Or just try one, then order later if needed.

Ok, the pics finally loaded. Is your hair darker or lighter than the pics look? If your roots are darker than the pics, then I think it would be safe to use the Coffee Brown. Make sure to take notice of your time from the strand test.

In the pics, your hair looks about the same color as mine using the Coffee Brown.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • ClaritaClarita Posts: 198Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CurliLocks wrote:
    As I wait for your photos to load, I'll answer.

Without seeing your color yet, I will say that I used to use Coffee Brown. If you go to my Highlights album, that's the color I was using then. Now I use either Light Chestnut on the gray roots, or Golden Chestnut on roots and ends.

It probably wouldn't hurt to start with the Light Chestnut, although the Coffee Brown is not ultra dark. But you could try the lighter shade, then use the darker if it's not close enough. If you want to save postage, you could order both. Or just try one, then order later if needed.

Ok, the pics finally loaded. Is your hair darker or lighter than the pics look? If your roots are darker than the pics, then I think it would be safe to use the Coffee Brown. Make sure to take notice of your time from the strand test.

In the pics, your hair looks about the same color as mine using the Coffee Brown.

Thanks for the info! My roots are a couple of shades darker than the color in my pics. In natural light, the length of my hair is about a shade lighter than what you see there. I just looked at your highlights album and that's about the color I would be going for. Very pretty hair, btw. I think I may go ahead and order the coffee brown and maybe the clear color too, which I heard can lighten a shade up a bit. I've been using Loreal's colorspa in dark brown for a couple of years now, but it always ends up fading back to a light, brassy color after a few months. I know RC is supposed to be permanent so hopefully it won't fade as soon!

Clarita wrote:
    Thanks for the info! My roots are a couple of shades darker than the color in my pics. In natural light, the length of my hair is about a shade lighter than what you see there. I just looked at your highlights album and that's about the color I would be going for. Very pretty hair, btw. I think I may go ahead and order the coffee brown and maybe the clear color too, which I heard can lighten a shade up a bit. I've been using Loreal's colorspa in dark brown for a couple of years now, but it always ends up fading back to a light, brassy color after a few months. I know RC is supposed to be permanent so hopefully it won't fade as soon!

Two things: 1. Colorspa (and other ammonia/peroxide colors) lift your natural color, so when they fade you have brassy hair (lack of color). Since RC doesn't lift color, when it fades you still have your natural color underneath. But since you've alread lifted color before, you may still have some brassiness until it grows out, unless the RC color doesn't fade much (usually not). Hope for the best, but understand that the damage was done before.

2. If you only leave the color on for 10 min, then it may not be as permanent as it would be if left on 30-60 min. But then again, if your hair is porous from the other color, then it may grab well and stay put. :)

Either way, I'd go with the Coffee Brown. Yes, the Clear could always lighten it up if needed, or you can use it 1-2 weeks later to seal in the color and make it last longer.
    PS - you have beautiful hair! Lovely curls!
    Thanks again for the info and the compliment, CurliLocks
    . I have a couple more questions- if you don't mind. :)

You say that the RC color may eventually fade as well. Since it doesn't contain ammonia/peroxide, is it safe to use all over again if it does end up fading? I don't mind having to "refresh" the color as it fades, I just want to break the colorspa cycle of coloring my hair and having it fade to an even lighter color, due to the peroxide, than it was before I colored it. I hope that made sense! Also, do you recommend the RC poo/conditioner for keeping the color from fading? Thank you so much for all of your help. :D

Clarita wrote:

You say that the RC color may eventually fade as well. Since it doesn't contain ammonia/peroxide, is it safe to use all over again if it does end up fading? I don't mind having to "refresh" the color as it fades, I just want to break the colorspa cycle of coloring my hair and having it fade to an even lighter color, due to the peroxide, than it was before I colored it. I hope that made sense! Also, do you recommend the RC poo/conditioner for keeping the color from fading? Thank you so much for all of your help. :D

No problem, I enjoy helping. :) Yes, since it is so gentle, it is safe to use again whenever needed. I do use RC's shampoo for color-treated hair and his conditioner. You will get a little bottle of the shampoo with your Color.
    CurliLocks wrote:
    Clarita wrote:

No problem, I enjoy helping. :) Yes, since it is so gentle, it is safe to use again whenever needed. I do use RC's shampoo for color-treated hair and his conditioner. You will get a little bottle of the shampoo with your Color.

Thank you so much for all of your help! Btw..I just updated my albums to include some "dark roots" pics done in natural light. Seeing them up close the color looks even "brassier"! Oh well, at least I'll be able to use these as my "before RC shots". :D

So did you get the Color and give it a try? :)
    Yes, I did it yesterday! I used the coffee brown and it turned out really great! It made my hair a nice dark brown color with dark red highlights. Based on the strand test I was able to leave the color on for 45min. so hopefully it won't fade too fast. I really like it!
    Here's a pic!

DSCN0935.jpg

Here's how my hair looked before.
    roots1.jpg

It looks great! I'd say it's a perfect match for your roots and will grow out nicely. :) Makes me want to go back to darker (I went lighter to blend the grays and make them less contrast as roots come in). LMK how it lasts for you. Remember, no DTs or products rich in oils for a week or so until the color sets well.
    Thanks for the compliment and the reminder about the DT/oils. I got the RC conditioner when I ordered the color so I'm just going to be using that along w/ the poo that came in the box for the next 2 weeks. After that I'll probably do a DT, wait a few days, then use the RC clear color to help w/ fading. I'll keep you updated on how long the color lasts!

I originally colored to blend in my roots, but I may keep using the RC because the color looks a lot richer and shinier than my natural hair color. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file