Deciding on a perm?

awesomesauce14awesomesauce14 Posts: 13Registered Users
Ok so I know this is kind of the opposite or straitening/relaxing, but I wasn't sure where to post this. Anyway, my hair is thin and stick straight from my roots to about my chin and then it's curly at the bottom. I have literally tried everything to make it curly but the only thing that works is a curling iron. So lately I've been tired of taking 20 min to curl the top half so it matches and I'm thinking about getting a perm. I'm VERY leery about doing anything with chemicals to my hair but I know that using heat on it every day is really bad for your hair. I'm not sure if I should get a perm or not because will it mess up my hair forever? I'm just worried that it will be straight/gunky once the perm wears out. Please let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions.
Texture: Fine
Elasticity: poor?
Type: straight roots, 2C ends
Main products: Baking soda and ACV
Rarely used Gel: Garnier Fructis Pure Clean and Herbal Essence Set me Up

Comments

• MsBriMsBri Posts: 22Registered Users
    I wouldn't if I was you , when you want your perm to grow out your roots will be stick straight with curly ends , if your already having that problem DON'T DO It ;) have you tried flex rods ? When I had heat damage bad some bleached parts of my hair would not curl at all so the straight pieces I'd use flex rods to get heatless curls , you should try to PLOP also that might give your straight hair a nice wave ;) hope I helped a little
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The way I'm picturing your hair, being straight near the roots and having tumbling curls at the bottom, actually sounds lovely :D

I'd decide against a perm, really. Embrace your natural awesome! Maybe you could try diffusing and a good styler? That'd give you more volume at the roots, more hold for curls, and perhaps more of a wave further up your hair.

Also, you could try plopping!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • bobbybobby Posts: 784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would think just a roller set with perm rods would work better because you are not involving chemicals. I know there are tutorials on Youtube to get an idea on how they look. It's actually something I'm considering doing.
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A curly perm does not guarantee an even curl pattern from root to tip, that is affected by the weight of the hair lower down and by your washing and styling technique (hair that is pressed flat against the scalp tends to be straighter).

It's quite normal for wavies such as 2b or 2c to be looser at the root than the ends if the hair. IMO it looks natural and cute. I get way better root curl on the canopy when doing everything upside down from washing to diffusing. Also taking products that boost curl right up the hair not just at the ends.

You could try Curly Hair Solutions Roller Jaw Clamps to support some of the weight whilst hair air dries, just take down one section at a time to diffuse then clip it right back up again.

Longer plops has been helping lately, so the gel cast *almost* starts forming when waves are concertina'd in the plop.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    A curly perm does not guarantee an even curl pattern from root to tip, that is affected by the weight of the hair lower down and by your washing and styling technique (hair that is pressed flat against the scalp tends to be straighter).

It's quite normal for wavies such as 2b or 2c to be looser at the root than the ends if the hair. IMO it looks natural and cute. I get way better root curl on the canopy when doing everything upside down from washing to diffusing. Also taking products that boost curl right up the hair not just at the ends.

You could try Curly Hair Solutions Roller Jaw Clamps to support some of the weight whilst hair air dries, just take down one section at a time to diffuse then clip it right back up again.

Longer plops has been helping lately, so the gel cast *almost* starts forming when waves are concertina'd in the plop.

My reason for being skeptical of a perm is the potential chemical damage. At least with a roller set or rod set, you can wash it out if you don't like it.

• awesomesauce14awesomesauce14 Posts: 13Registered Users
    Thank you all so much!! I think I'm going to try the rod set mentioned and see how those work. Do you just get those at a beauty store?
    Thank you all so much!! I think I'm going to try the rod set mentioned and see how those work. Do you just get those at a beauty store?

I don't know but let me know how it works. I'm probably going to do one.

fail....at least for me. I watched a million videos on youtube how to do it but either I didn't do it right or they just plain don't work. I'm going to try it again tonight though, so hopefully I will do it right!!
    fail....at least for me. I watched a million videos on youtube how to do it but either I didn't do it right or they just plain don't work. I'm going to try it again tonight though, so hopefully I will do it right!!

Sorry to hear that. I wonder how much it costs to have someone do it. If not too expensive I may go that route when I do it.

I tried it again and it turned out MUCH the second time. It just takes a lot of time to do and I'm not sure that I want to do that every other day (after I wash my hair)
    I tried it again and it turned out MUCH the second time. It just takes a lot of time to do and I'm not sure that I want to do that every other day (after I wash my hair)

That's good to know. My wife might be taking the kids out of town for a week or two in the summer. I may do it then. Don't want to deal with it with little ones around.

• vipforlyfvipforlyf Posts: 3Registered Users
    Ok I know I'm kind of late, BUT! If you really want to get a perm or if u decide to you should get a Japanese digital perm! It looks great! Just saying! If you want nice curls ask for the largest barrel! I haven't tried it out but my friend did and it looked really nice! ;)

-a curly VIP! ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file