My hair is too thick and oily! (interesting read)

scorpiomoonscorpiomoon Posts: 10Registered Users
I'm a new natural female with 2 c hair. Its very thick at the hair line and incredibly shiny there as well. Its like the oils get trapped in my roots, and never get to my ends. In turn I get really itchy scalp that feels uncomfortable, and it frizzes. Let me mention I'm a black female with this hair type so it makes it really confusing. Thick greases and oils make me hair harder to style and makes the flyways worse. Any oils put into my hair must have a water like feel between the fingers (i.e. essential oil). Today I washed my hair twice (cringe if you want) but it made it feel good. The second time I did an experiment by applying the shampoo to my hair DRY. Yes, and then I blowdryed my hair WITH the shampoo. It felt good to run my fingers through my hair and it get rid of the stubborn tangles this way. Their was no way I could do this by traditionally shampooing my hair. Anyway I washed the shampoo out with water and applied a little bit of conditioner to my ends (though I still don't think i need it). I blowdryed my hair with cool setting after my shower and pinned my hair up into a a little bun in training and only needed 4 bobby pins to keep flyways at bay (hair is short; new natural). I usually need a whole pack(30)and more for the flyways. I'm contemplating doing this everyday.
-predominately 2c (thick when dry, limp and stringy when wet)
-fine 3a sideburns
-3b at nape (frizziest and shrinkiest)
-humidity and static sensitive (lol)
-loves natural products.....scared of even the milest chemicals

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What products are you currently using? What are your hair properties (porosity, density etc.).

Maybe we can give you some recommendations / tips to help you out ...
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    Hello and welcome!

First step to natural hair is figuring out your hair properties. This is a good place to start: Curly Hair Basics | Live Curly Live Free You can also order hair analyses from Goosefootprints (Etsy) or Komaza Care.

Once you figure out your properties, let us know, we'll be better equipped to give you suggestions.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list